Independent developer Ground Control Studios have announced Cosmonaut, a first-person space simulator, with full Kinect 2 support. You can watch a teaser trailer above. Cosmonaut is currently only announced for PC but Ground Control Studios have told me that they are in talks with Microsoft to bring it to Xbox One.
In conjunction with Kinect 2, joysticks can also be used to control the cosmonaut’s Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU) for an even more immersive experience and for full immersion it will also support VR via Oculus Rift! (Just for the PC version obviously, hopefully Microsoft will at some point announce the rumoured Fortaleza Glasses for Xbox One though.) As well as helping to manoeuvre the cosmonaut you will be able to use Kinect 2 for various interactions such as grabbing, pushing and holding tools.
Here’s more info from Cosmonaut’s Steam Greenlight page:
COSMONAUT is a highly immersive First-Person Space Simulator. It combines a non-linear narrative, realistic graphics and highly detailed simulation to produce a thrilling experience.
COSMONAUT is a game about survival, exploration and cunning. Everything around you can kill you, the suit can get torn from shrapnel, your visor can break from impacts. Your fuel, oxigen and suit power are limited, so you must find ways to replenish them. On the other hand, most things around you are usable, so you must explore the environment to find tools, supplies and clues to unravel the plot.
Current feature set:
- Explorable environment outside and inside a space station (matches 1/6 of the space compund for the game)
- Use of tools to interact with the world (hammer to break things, blowtorch to cut through)
- Replenish of supplies can be done from O2 tanks, Fuel tanks and batteries or from the EMU chairs of fallen comrades.
- Death Conditions: impacts on visor, lack of O2.
- Handicaps: lack of fuel will leave you stranded, lack of power will disable your navigation and illumination systems. O2 reduction will start to blur out your vision.
- Non-linear story engine implemented
Cosmonaut Kinect + Oculus Rift Prototype
You can watch some more prototype footage below (it’s in split-screen because the Oculus Rift is being used) and there should be more footage coming soon. The prototype is using Kinect 1, but they’re now moving on to using Kinect 2.
Are you looking forward to an Xbox One version of Cosmonaut or using Kinect For Windows v2 with the PC version? Let us know in the comments below.