Independent developer Broken Window Studios have announced that they are bringing their impressive and freaky-looking first-person open-world survival horror game Grave to the Xbox One via the ID@Xbox programme, which they think is “great” in an interview with The Official Xbox Magazine:
What do you think of the Xbox One hardware and Microsoft’s developer support right now?
They’ve been great. We joined ID@Xbox just this month, and we have a personal contact who has been excellent in taking us through the process. Everything from signing the paperwork to getting our development kits has been awesome and easy. As indies, we hadn’t initially been sure if we wanted to get our feet wet in the next gen consoles, but this experience has been really easy so far and we like the direction the ID@Xbox program is going.
They also revealed to OXM that they’re interested in incorporating Kinect 2!
Have you thought about Kinect support? Shinji Mikami has suggested that expression recognition could be used in a horror game.
We just recently started with Xbox One development, so we haven’t been able to finalize our plans just yet. I’m really interested in the ways that we can enhance immersion in Grave by incorporating the Kinect. We’ve been doing work in virtual reality, so using the Kinect camera for body movement seems pretty interesting to us.
They need funding for Grave though, so like many indie developers they have turned to Kickstarter. You can watch their Kickstarter pitch video above and if you want to pledge then click on the following link to their Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2129301589/grave-open-world-survival-horror
You better be quick though as they only have 3 days left and although they’ve nearly reached their goal they still need an extra $6,000 so get pledging! There are various rewards for pledging but if you can afford it then it’s best to pledge at least $25 as that will get you a copy of the Xbox One version of the game as a reward (remember to select that when pledging) so it’s basically like pre-ordering the game.
Here is more info about Grave from an earlier press release, it was issued before the Xbox One announcement which is why the console isn’t mentiond:
Kickstarter Begins for Grave, Open World Survival Horror Game
Currently Being Developed for PC, Mac, and Linux
PHOENIX, AZ – March 26, 2014 – The Kickstarter campaign for Grave, a new open world, procedural survival horror game being developed by Broken Window Studios, Inc. is now live. The game has a tentative release target of early 2015, and will feature a fusion between modern horror and classic survival horror gameplay elements. The project is looking to raise $30,000 by Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:00 PM PDT, and can be explored and backed at: http://kck.st/1eGqoan
Grave is a first person, open world survival horror experience. Survive the night with a arsenal of defensive tools, and explore an ever-changing world filled with frightening creatures. Grave is a hybrid of environmental exploration and combative horror, creating constant tension as the player balances exploration and survival. The goal is to reinvigorate classic survival horror with modern techniques.
In the world of Grave, things are not always as they seem. Explore a surreal, lonely wasteland by day, and fight off hideous creatures after the sun sets. With each passing day, the world changes around you. Presenting not only new threats, but new locations to explore.
Light Is Your Only Weapon
In Grave, darkness brings terror, but not hopelessness. The world of Grave is scattered with tools that can be used for protection. Ward off creatures with flashlights, gasoline fires, portable generators and more. Grave is about survival, so no tool is a strictly intended for offense. Multiple uses of tools allow players to decide how best to survive the night.
- Unique day-night gameplay woven into the experience – split gameplay between survival and exploration. Fear the night, hope for day.
- Highly procedural world. Not only are the creatures unpredictable, but so are the environments. Each night produces changes to the surreal landscape of Grave.
- Multiple characters and stories to explore, each with their own sets of challenges and experiences
- Frightening AI creatures see and hear you, with complex behavior to stalk you. You are the hunted, not the hunter.
- Over 8 Unique tools for defending yourself against the creatures of the night, including matches, flashlights, flares, generators, fire and more.
- Craft new resources using items found in the environment. Build up your defenses or create unique items for combating the creatures of the night. Just be sure to watch your back…
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Webpage: www.grave-game.com
- KICKSTARTER: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2129301589/grave-open-world-survival-horror?ref=live
- Company Webpage: www.brokenwindowstudios.com
- IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/grave
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gravegame
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/gravegame
Are you backing Grave on Kickstarter? Let us know in the comments below and don’t forget to spread the word over the next 3 days to ensure that it gets funded!