everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Multiple Kinects

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiple Kinects
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Multiple Kinects
What do folks think could be done if multiple Kinects were configured to operate with the same system. Possibilities I can think of are

Expanded play space;
True party games (10 or more people);
Kinects in different rooms (linked to the Windows 7 phone for personal display while the gamer "explores");
Combined Kninect sensors for increased resolution

Of course there are severe technical issues with all this such as that pesky USB limitation. The software adn computational issues for some of my suggestions are enormous. Probably not going to happen with the current generation of consoles.

Still, however, none of what I suggested is revolutionally but an evolution of the idea (development time and money are needed).

What do others think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2011, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2011 01:31 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Multiple Kinects
You would need a huge room or Kinects in between rows of people (which would still require a huge room since there'd need to be over 6ft space between each row, lol!) to have 10 players if the game is using full body tracking. Also the Kinect as it is now is only restricted to 2 players if it's using the full skeletal system (although someone managed more than 2 skeletons on the PC, but it might have taken a lot of power), if it's just tracking hands for example (or hands plus 1 tracking point for basic body position in 3D space) a game could have more players. Plus the main restriction is the fact that you can't have people in front of each other (as in blocking each other) which is why I said you'd need Kinects in between rows of people for something like 10 players.

No doubt there'll be a new Kinect out in a few years when the next-gen Xbox is out and the next-gen Xbox should have USB 3 (or even better if there's something even better by then) so the new Kinect should be much more advanced. I predict the next Kinect will have a 1920x1080 IR sensor/projector and RGB cam with either both, or at least the IR sensor, running at 120fps or at the very least 60fps. I'm not sure if they can do anything about the distance required for full body tracking but if they can I'm sure they will. (Maybe that's where your multiple Kinect idea can come in, maybe the "Kinect 2" would be split into two, one you put at head height that scans the upper half of your body and one at foot height that scans the lower half of your body, so you can stand fairly close and it combines the sensor data. If they do that then each sensor could be 960x540.)
02-21-2011, 01:54 AM
RE: Multiple Kinects
(02-21-2011 01:30 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  You would need a huge room or Kinects in between rows of people (which would still require a huge room since there'd need to be over 6ft space between each row, lol!) to have 10 players if the game is using full body tracking. Also the Kinect as it is now is only restricted to 2 players if it's using the full skeletal system (although someone managed more than 2 skeletons on the PC, but it might have taken a lot of power), if it's just tracking hands for example (or hands plus 1 tracking point for basic body position in 3D space) a game could have more players. Plus the main restriction is the fact that you can't have people in front of each other (as in blocking each other) which is why I said you'd need Kinects in between rows of people for something like 10 players.

Yeah I was thinking of a large room with orthogonal placement amoung the units. However, once that is done (and the currently large technical challenges) games such as 3-D Twister™ with a large crowds become possible. Display would also be a big limitation.

Just dreaming of the future.
02-21-2011, 02:02 AM
I don't know what orthogonal means so I'll just assume you're right, lol! Big Grin
02-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Ooops . . . Sorry. The geek in me leaking out. We are basically saying the same thing.

Now, given such an arrangement . . . what games can you dream up?
02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
(02-20-2011 02:29 PM)Ken Wrote:  What do folks think could be done if multiple Kinects were configured to operate with the same system. Possibilities I can think of are

Expanded play space;
Kinects in different rooms (linked to the Windows 7 phone for personal display while the gamer "explores");

Of course there are severe technical issues with all this such as that pesky USB limitation. The software adn computational issues for some of my suggestions are enormous. Probably not going to happen with the current generation of consoles.

Still, however, none of what I suggested is revolutionally but an evolution of the idea (development time and money are needed).

What do others think?

Yep! Think about how games could be played with the following set-up...What about 4 Kinects all hooked up...One on right side, leftside, behind and front?! Combine this with haptic gloves for feeling and a VR headset for immersion. You could litterally have all of this in a 12 x 12 room. I dream of a Kinect MMO with this sort of set-up!
02-22-2011, 05:12 AM
(02-22-2011 02:56 AM)Nick Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 02:29 PM)Ken Wrote:  What do folks think could be done if multiple Kinects were configured to operate with the same system. Possibilities I can think of are

Expanded play space;

What do others think?

Yep! Think about how games could be played with the following set-up...What about 4 Kinects all hooked up...One on right side, leftside, behind and front?! Combine this with haptic gloves for feeling and a VR headset for immersion. You could litterally have all of this in a 12 x 12 room. I dream of a Kinect MMO with this sort of set-up!

Yeah, but it would have to be a completely empty 12ft x 12ft room, lol! I think these sort of ideas would be better for dedicated areas in arcades. (Or even dedicated Kinect arcades!) If SegaWorld was still around I could imagine Sega licensing the technology and doing something like that. SegaWorld was awesome! Big Grin (& Sad because I really miss it.)

It wasn't as good as it looked... it was better!!!
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 10:31 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Exclamation RE: Multiple Kinects
A company has basically done what you suggested except instead of multiple Kinects they've used 1 Kinect and multiple webcams. I'm not sure how exactly they get the extra 3D data with regular webcams but here's their video. It's seriously impressive when you see how accurate the motion capture is at the end of the video!ExclamationCool

This is obviously a great tool for motion capture in general but like I said before I don't know how practical it would be as a home motion controller as you'd have to put the webcams up on the walls around the room.
03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow that is an awesome movie, thx for sharing Corellian.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sync Kinects dvonhausen 2 1,975 01-06-2012 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jersmall