We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

YooStar 2 Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
YooStar 2 Kinect Review
03-10-2011, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 08:44 PM by Clemens.)
YooStar 2 Kinect Review
YooStar 2: In The Movies

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9H7Te9TknYL27C4dTVL8...VzyJq1XJjA]
  • Official site www.yoostar.com
  • Developer: Blitz Games Studios
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Modes: Challenge, Co-op 2, Free Play, Tutorial
  • Players: 1-2
  • Online Features: Achievements, Content Download, Xbox LIVE Family Settings
  • Kinect Features: Players 1-2, User Generated Content
  • Kinect Activity Level: Standing
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Teen - Adult
  • Requires Hard Drive

YooStar 2: In The Movies - The good
  • Awesome concept, very fun to re-enact scenes
  • Variety of movies are good, needs more though, but DLC will surely be plenty
  • Does 2 player acting which I thought was very intuitive
  • Voice works fine and adjusts the volume so you are not louder than the original

YooStar 2: In The Movies - The not so good
  • The videos are windowed, be better in full screen
  • Most video quality is 480p, however the image it uses as it records you is choppy, if you had a green screen behind you and wear opposite color clothes, it might crop you better from the background, otherwise it picks up a little border around the background
  • Some of the scenes require you to be in certain positions such as sitting behind a desk (terminator) or sitting on a bench, you need stage sets to make it look real authentic
  • Some scenes require props, it looks silly if you don't use anything

YooStar 2: In The Movies - Story
There's not a story mode, however there is a challenge mode that is kind of like a career mode. You have to do well on scenes and act certain parts out flawlessly to get bonus items. These help you unlock each stage.

YooStar 2: In The Movies - Kinect experience
Kinect works well with this game. The only menu issue is changing movies, it's almost not fast enough...other than that, no problems. Hopefully with the update coming out for Kinect, the detection accuracy will clean up the video.

YooStar 2: In The Movies - Graphics
There really are no graphics, just videos. As I stated earlier, the majority of the videos are in 480p, but in a windowed mode. Full screen HD 1080i would of been awesome.

YooStar 2: In The Movies - Gameplay
This game is fun, but you have to like acting. If you never find yourself repeating movie lines with your buddies, then you probably wouldn't like this game. They picked quite a few good scenes which I go into detail below, but there's others that makes you wonder why they weren't included such as Adam Sandler, Jim Carey, Steve Carrell, etc... There are a lot of Ben Stiller movies, so if you don't like him, you may want to pass or wait for more content. I would say probably about 25% of the scenes are with Ben Stiller. Ok onto the game!

The menu consists of the following items:

My Films:
This is just your saved films area for the videos you decide to share.

Challenge:
This is like a career mode that I mentioned. It will probably help you act better but there's a ton of stuff to unlock.

Quick Play:
This lets you choose any scene for quick play, and also has hollywood sets as well as video backgrounds. There's also a random option and a search option if the library gets big.

Social:
This area allows you to share videos with facebook, twitter and the yoostar community. I like when developers are committed to their products.

YooStore:
The place to buy scenes, cool enough, YooStar already has a scene pack available with additional scenes from the movies included for 560ms points.

Help & Options:
Everything from tutorials to settings is in this area.

Those are the main areas of the game, I also went ahead and took details of everything included in the game. First, here's the normal scenes that you can act out.

300 (2 scenes)
Along Came Polly
American Pie
Angels & Demons
Animal House
Apollo 13
Baby Mama
Beverly hills cop
Blazing Saddles
blues brothers
Casablanca
Coming To America
CSI: Miami
Employee of the Month
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Forrest Gump
Frankenstein
The Godfather
Grease
The Hangover (2 scenes)
The Italian Job
The Karate Kid
Kick Ass (2 scenes)
Kindergarten Cop
Mad Men
Meet The Fockers (2 scenes)
Meet The Parents
The Mummy
Norbit
The Nutty Professor
The Princess Bride
Rocky (Original)
Rocky Balboa (New One)
Shaun of The Dead
Slap Shot
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3
Star Trek: The Original Series
Superman Returns
The Terminator
Tropic Thunder (2 scenes)
Up In Smoke
The Wizard of Oz
Zoolander (2 scenes)

There's also a couple other sections, one of them is called video backgrounds. With video backgrounds, it's basically just a blank scene with sound effects, and you create your own scene. About half of them are locked from the start, but as you progress your acting career, they will unlock. Here's the list of video backgrounds:

A Walk On The Beach
Bad Boys, Bad Boys! (Typical Car chase and rolling down a hill scene)
Car Bomb
Crash The Red Carpet (This one could be fun)
Gorilla Swagger
Join a Fire Fight
Lamborghini Luxury
Letters Rain Down (This is just a matrix background)
Lightning Storm
Monster Battle (This is you vs. a Godzilla wannabe, I don't think it's the real Godzilla as the monster prop is pretty cheesy)
Nosey Polar Bear
Pyramids and Goats
Rendezvous At The Eiffel Tower
Spy Communique (CIA HQ look alike)
State of The Union (Ever wanted to address the nation? Here's your chance)
Taj Mahal At The Golden Hour
This Just In... (Breaking news cast scene)
Times Square Frenzy
Tornado!
Walk On The Moon

Lastly, there is a section with Hollywood sets. These are just particular scenes from movies with no actors, no scripts and just sound effects. If you know a movie really well, you will love this area. The list of those scenes are:

Gladiator
Men In Black
Clash of The Titans
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Top Gun
I Am Legend
Matrix Revolutions
Scarface
The Matrix
King Kong (New one)

There's also an option to ad-lib every single scene, so if you want to tell Arnold your own words, this mode allows it. Speaking of language, I rated this from Teen - Adult as a few of the flicks include some vulgar language, but nothing extreme, before the scene shows a preview you are warned its not recommended for children.

YooStar 2: In The Movies - Multiplayer options
Some of the scenes allow 2 player simultaneous acting which would make for some fun times.

Conclusion
Overall, love the idea, but there's no realism in it unfortunately. This is more a let's have fun game. If you want to re-create a scene and make it authentic, this isn't the way to go, I would suggest starting a career on Broadway or some local college plays. The only other gripe I have, but to each their own, is the choice of movies. I'm hoping some more blockbusters are added to the store and this would make one heck of a fun game.

More Yoostar 2
[order info] [news] [trailer] [gameplay] [screenshots] [achievements]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
RE: [YooStar 2: In The Movies] Review: There's Much Potential Here [7/10]
Cool, thanks! I keep repeating sentences from movies and tv shows all the time Tongue.

Yoostar is planning loads of DLC for this game, so that's a good thing as well IMO. Let's hope they'll add some of my favorites Big Grin

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
do they expect you to move the camera around a lot to frame the shot?

in the terminator example, the camera perspective seems to be low and shooting upward toward the person standing in the window.

but i have my kinect attached to the top of my tv about 6 feet off the ground and it's fixed. so for all my kinect games, the kinect is basically looking downward at anyone. which i assume would mess up a game like Yoostar.
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 02:54 PM by HazyCloud.)
Thanks for the review. I can't wait to give this a try. I was so excited for it last night, that I went ahead and purchased the 'Blockbuster' pack and 'Life is like a box of chocolates' DLC. I don't even have the game yet! Smile

*Edit* I posted this on the comments on the main page so I figured I should post it here as well. Yoostar has also released a Facebook app that allows you to upload your videos, rate and watch others and post them to your wall. Seems pretty cool.

http://www.facebook.com/yoostar?v=wall#!...7146470109

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
(03-10-2011 11:39 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  do they expect you to move the camera around a lot to frame the shot?

in the terminator example, the camera perspective seems to be low and shooting upward toward the person standing in the window.

but i have my kinect attached to the top of my tv about 6 feet off the ground and it's fixed. so for all my kinect games, the kinect is basically looking downward at anyone. which i assume would mess up a game like Yoostar.

Unfortunately it converts you to 2D I would call it, you are kind of flat, so the only thing you really notice is that your eyes are looking at the screen reading the script, like for example if you are supposed to be looking at someone else and speaking directly to them. With remembering the lines, this would seem less awkward...I'll save a video and post it here so you can see...but mine is messed up because I have red walls in the living room so it makes me like pink lol
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 04:55 PM by theXtReMe1.)
I had the chance to play Yoostar 2 last night and the same problems that plagued the stand alone unit, plague this release. What is that, you ask? Lighting. There is no way in a home environment to mimic the lighting of a movie studio, which leaves your videos looking horrible. You will see pixely, uneven overdubs of yourself on the video... which kind of ruins the effect. I thought that Kinect would solve some of the lighting issues, but it really hasnt.

So, you are left with a fun party game that really doesnt allow for true to life looks, as far as video quality and believability. There is a limited selection of scenes, usually one for each movie, and as of this writing... there were only 5 videos available for download. Some of which are alternative scenes for the movies included on your disc. Which really limits your selection. On top of that, some of the scenes have to be memorized in order to make them feel real, due to the fact that you have to stand sideways, facing away from the screen, and not have the scrolling words at your disposal.

Lining up yourself perfect, to fit into the scene... is also a lesson in frustration. Sometimes asking you to stand sideways or in an awkward position for any one particular scene. There is a built in auto-zoom feature in the game, but I found it doesnt work all that well... sometimes it doesnt work at all.

There is no excuse for them not to have more videos up on Live on day 1, as they have a lot more for their stand-alone device available for download. I imagine in the next week, we will see them filter over.

Overall, the 5.5 that OXM gave the game is pretty spot-on. It has a ton of potential, but is limited by the technology. I think, with more time, the problems could have been ironed out. If you have enough lighting, all around yourself or friends, and a flat background... you may be able to pull off some amazing videos... but I tried configuring and reconfiguring my setup and still couldnt get a really acceptable looking video. Even with lighting all around me to eliminate shadows. Which I am guessing is a product of the environmental background. Something, I am sure that the green screen from the stand alone unit would help, if not solve.

Buy for party-like fun, not for video quality. I would wait, though, until a price drop in the $20 range.
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 05:14 PM by HazyCloud.)
^ There's actually 10 available to download. 5 being separate and 5 in a pack. The pack is not the same as the 5 individual ones. Yoostar's site also says over 100 online so I'm guessing we'll be getting flooded with DLC.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Search...=GameAddon

03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
This game seems perfect for DLC, it is what may make it great imo.

03-10-2011, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 05:41 PM by HazyCloud.)
(03-10-2011 05:31 PM)Clemens Wrote:  This game seems perfect for DLC, it is what may make it great imo.

Ed Zachary. This and music games seem to be the perfect fit for DLC. Glad to see that extra scenes are only 2 bucks a pop. I'm cool with that.

03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
(03-10-2011 04:52 PM)theXtReMe1 Wrote:  I had the chance to play Yoostar 2 last night and the same problems that plagued the stand alone unit, plague this release. What is that, you ask? Lighting. There is no way in a home environment to mimic the lighting of a movie studio, which leaves your videos looking horrible. You will see pixely, uneven overdubs of yourself on the video... which kind of ruins the effect. I thought that Kinect would solve some of the lighting issues, but it really hasnt.

If you had the first Yoostar, that means you have the green screen. How is it with that? From watching the Fox News video and other video demos, Yoostar themselves used a green screen to get better results (which you can see in the background but they "neglected" to tell anyone watching the final clip that a green screen was used).

@Z: i'm not sure if my question was answered. how does yoostar handle perspective? i can't really move my kinect around (more like i refuse to move it just for one game).
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
(03-10-2011 06:57 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  From watching the Fox News video and other video demos...

Do you have a link to it?

03-10-2011, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 07:38 PM by dirtyvu.)
the videos are starting to come into youtube. unfortunately, since there's no way to directly send a video to youtube, people are cam'ing it.

people are... interesting... Tongue

(03-10-2011 07:12 PM)HazyCloud Wrote:  
(03-10-2011 06:57 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  From watching the Fox News video and other video demos...

Do you have a link to it?

The clip was originally on the homepage for Yoostar 2 under the "Latest News" section along with the Ellen clip. But it's been replaced by a developer clip. I can't find the clip anymore. The way I remember it, there was 3 parts to the segment. One part was them sitting on the couch talking about the game. another part was a clip that they recorded (actually 2 clips by the 3 hosts). and another part showed the entire setup they used and you could clearly see a green screen was in the background.

Here's the only thing I could find referencing the clip.

http://www.facebook.com/yoostar/posts/193083137380152

"In case you missed either, you can watch the Yoostar 2 segments from 'Fox & Friends' and 'Ellen' in the 'Latest News' section on the bottom right of our homepage. Just click to play!"
03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Frontpage news dirtyvu, thanks Smile.

03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
If you go the Yoostar app on Facebook, you can watch non-cam videos of performances.

http://apps.facebook.com/yoostarplayground/?ref=ts

03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
(03-10-2011 06:57 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  @Z: i'm not sure if my question was answered. how does yoostar handle perspective? i can't really move my kinect around (more like i refuse to move it just for one game).

I'm not sure how to explain it...if you took a picture of you, cut it out and pasted it on your tv playing a movie, that's what it would look like...its like a 2D thing, so even though it will be looking down, you are going to look like a 2d character, so there really isn't a perspective if that makes sense? That's why some scenes are very awkward, like where you have to turn a certain angle, squat, sideways or whatever, it just doesn't look right because its not a 3D retrospect...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adrenalin Misfits Kinect Review TheZeeMan 5 11,058 04-24-2014 06:03 PM
Last Post: Cengetron
  Body And Brain Connection Kinect Review TheZeeMan 10 12,375 04-24-2014 06:02 PM
Last Post: Cengetron
  Dance Central Kinect Review 70x7brandnew 9 10,041 02-18-2014 02:14 PM
Last Post: turnerdaniel
  Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout Kinect Review TheZeeMan 9 22,296 06-14-2013 04:33 PM
Last Post: jdti444
Information Share YOUR review Clemens 1 18,146 05-04-2013 07:59 AM
Last Post: Liruri
  Motion Sports Kinect Review TheZeeMan 14 25,744 02-06-2013 06:14 AM
Last Post: PS3owner