/ / v /

How to connect Kinect to PC with USB??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-22-2012, 01:24 AM
HEy all

I am new to this forum. I am using the kinect camera for motion capture and I need to connect it to my laptop via USB. The newer Kinect does not have a USB connection on the end. What do I need to able to connect it to my laptop via USB? and also still have power supplied to it?

I have searched online and so far no real solutions

Thanks

EpicFuzz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2012, 05:26 AM
RE: How to connect Kinect to PC with USB??
(01-22-2012 01:24 AM)Epicfuzz Wrote:  HEy all

I am new to this forum. I am using the kinect camera for motion capture and I need to connect it to my laptop via USB. The newer Kinect does not have a USB connection on the end. What do I need to able to connect it to my laptop via USB? and also still have power supplied to it?

I have searched online and so far no real solutions

Thanks

EpicFuzz

the Kinect does have a USB connector via the Kinect power supply. in the below picture, the USB connector is on the left side of the picture. The Kinect's AUX cable plugs into the right side of the picture.

[Image: en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Power_Supply_3VJ-00001.png]

if you don't have the power supply, you can pick up a cheap imitation power supply via Amazon, Ebay, or any number of retailers. Or you can pick up an official power supply directly from Microsoft via the Microsoft store or customer support. The official power supply is $30+ while the imitation power supplies are about $10.

[Image: xbl_image.php?gamertag=onlysublime]
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
yeah usually they give you everything you need in the box to connect to pc.

i beleive there was an extra addaptor for the end. ive never tried it myself though and im curious if the newest kinct is not via USB, how do youplug into the xbox?
03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Kinect for Windows has the same hardware setup. So it has a power supply to make the Kinect compatible with a USB port (the AUX port on the 360S is a modified USB port that provides more electrical power than a standard USB port can give).

it's the software that makes it different.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/

excerpt:

"As I mentioned in the original post, the Kinect for Windows device has new firmware which enables the depth camera to see objects as close as 50 centimeters in front of the device without losing accuracy or precision, with graceful degradation down to 40 centimeters.

"The lenses on the Kinect for Windows sensor are the same as the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor, so near mode does not change the field of view as some people have been speculating. As some have observed, the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor was already technically capable of seeing down 50 centimeters [19 inches or 1.6 feet] – but with the caveat “as long as the light is right”.

[Image: xbl_image.php?gamertag=onlysublime]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How Do I Connect to a Friend to Play Kinect Sports Online??? Jhoee89 10 16,196 12-23-2010 04:10 AM
Last Post: TheLiveLegand