everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Dance Central and Zumba Kinect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I am thinking of buying a Kinect system for our family for XMAS. For myself personally, how many calories can I expect to burn on Dance Central or Zumba? 200 calories for 40 min on the treadmill is getting old....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
RE: Dance Central and Zumba Kinect
Well it all depends on how long you play them for. From all the excerising games I have played on kinect, it doesn't matter what game you play, the going rate is around 25 calories for every 5 minutes. The only difference is the games are fun to play whereas a treadmill can become quite boring Smile
12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
the coolest thing about dance central's calorie counter? the faster you move, the faster the calorie counter goes up. stand in front of a song and wave your arms and legs like mad and see how fast it goes and then move slowly and see how slow it counts.
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
(12-02-2010 07:44 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Well it all depends on how long you play them for. From all the excerising games I have played on kinect, it doesn't matter what game you play, the going rate is around 25 calories for every 5 minutes. The only difference is the games are fun to play whereas a treadmill can become quite boring Smile

You sure? I got 55 kg, that's around 120 lbs and in DC i burn around 4 cal for a 2 minute song Undecided
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2010 10:49 PM by TheZeeMan.)
Sorry now that I think about it, Dance central isn't catered so you burn the most calories as some moves are just raising your hand in the air, such as the "torch" as they call it, so unfortunately DC does burn less than actual fitness games, zumba on the other hand is both dancing and fitness, so it designed so you burn maximum calories. The fitness games are also designed to burn maximum calories, although I'd have to say with all of the different activities between Your Shape and EASA 2, they are very similar as to how much you will burn.
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
(12-06-2010 09:42 PM)Numadonna Wrote:  
(12-02-2010 07:44 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Well it all depends on how long you play them for. From all the excerising games I have played on kinect, it doesn't matter what game you play, the going rate is around 25 calories for every 5 minutes. The only difference is the games are fun to play whereas a treadmill can become quite boring Smile

You sure? I got 55 kg, that's around 120 lbs and in DC i burn around 4 cal for a 2 minute song Undecided

There's 2 things in effect for you. Since you're only 120 lbs (and Dance Central does not factor in male versus female as far as I can tell), the algorithm is going to count slower for you since there's a minimum weight expectancy. In other words, the less you weigh, the slower you burn calories. It's much harder for a 120 lb person to lose 20 lbs than a 250 lb person to lose 20 lbs.

The only way to compensate for that is to increase muscle and lose fat. As your muscle goes up, you actually weigh more because muscle is heavier than fat. However, as muscle goes up, muscle requires a lot of energy to stay alive so it'll start consuming more energy and the bulk of your energy is stored in fat. But there's also water loss. So what happens when a fat person starts exercising is... They start losing a lot of weight in the beginning because of water loss. It'll then level off as all the excess water is lost. Then their weight may start increasing for a short time (as the person is adding on muscle and/or eating extra because of the increased muscle), then level off, and then start dropping again as the muscle starts eating like crazy even while you're resting.

taking the opposite direction, if a person becomes sedentary, they'll start to lose muscle and add fat. so what happens is a person gets fatter but their weight doesn't really go up (since muscle is heavier and being lost). but as the muscle starts being significantly gone, there's less factories around to burn all the now excess energy. then fat starts accumulating big time and the weight goes up.

Dance Central also is very dependent on how much you move. Watching a lot of people dancing, I've noticed that the amount of effort totally varies from person to person. taking zeeman's example, the torch, one person may just lazily jump pump their arm upward. another person may do harder pumps, include the slight but powerful knee bends, and slight shoulder bends even though both the lazy person who just wants to pass the step and the person who is trying to totally emulate the step are both doing the same move.

there are a few moves in Dance Central that can totally be passed without doing the move entirely correctly. where you can skip the legs and shoulders and only do the arms. but if you do the move so that the move looks authentic, you'll do more fitness wise.

but if fitness is your goal, calorie consumption is the other half of the equation. if you've been sedentary for a long time, your body thinks that is "normal". when you start to exercise a lot, your body starts to realize it has to supply tons of energy for the new work. it recognizes an emergency and in emergencies, the fastest way to get energy is to eat more. even though fat has more energy, it's a slower process to release that energy. so you have to find a way to eat sensibly and wait for the fat to be consumed.

just like your body thinking your high blood pressure is normal because you've very slowly increased it over time. your body is designed to keep things in equilibrium. so when you take your blood pressure medication, the "suddenly drop" in blood pressure (which is actually taking your bp back to the normal range) will be detected by your body as abnormal so your body will fight the high blood pressure medication and raise your bp back to what it thought was normal. this is why you have to perpetually stay on bp medication (at least until you find a way to relieve the reasons behind the high bp).

if you want to see Dance Central's algorithm at work, put your weight at 200 lbs and then do the same exercise. I bet it'll show a higher calories burned.
12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Besides the weight loss, from what I've been reading Dance Central seems to be a much better game than Zumba Fitness.

And, in my view, if you want to burn calories and still have fun then Kinect Sports is a great choice too. This game doesnt count any progress, but will make you move ande sweat.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
(12-08-2010 08:36 AM)Clemens Wrote:  Besides the weight loss, from what I've been reading Dance Central seems to be a much better game than Zumba Fitness.

And, in my view, if you want to burn calories and still have fun then Kinect Sports is a great choice too. This game doesnt count any progress, but will make you move ande sweat.

zumba fitness isn't a game. but it's better than a dvd. and it's the only game with latin style dancing.
12-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Once you move onto the harder songs/difficulties in DC, most of the moves are way more involved than Torch. Heh, you picked one of the least strenuous moves in the game as an example. I get a great cardio workout with DC since I'm doing mostly harder songs and I go all out. If I want it harder, I sometimes add in a set or two with a resistance band between songs and be more active during freestyle.

I'm not sure about the 25 calories per 5 minute number. Where'd you get that rate?

In Your Shape, the boxing game burns like 10 calories per one minute of wildly swinging your arms around. The workouts themselves report a similar rate. I don't know if this number varies wildly from one person to another, though.
12-12-2010, 04:52 PM
(12-12-2010 05:15 AM)fervor Wrote:  Once you move onto the harder songs/difficulties in DC, most of the moves are way more involved than Torch. Heh, you picked one of the least strenuous moves in the game as an example. I get a great cardio workout with DC since I'm doing mostly harder songs and I go all out. If I want it harder, I sometimes add in a set or two with a resistance band between songs and be more active during freestyle.

I'm not sure about the 25 calories per 5 minute number. Where'd you get that rate?

In Your Shape, the boxing game burns like 10 calories per one minute of wildly swinging your arms around. The workouts themselves report a similar rate. I don't know if this number varies wildly from one person to another, though.

Poker face still has the torch move on hard Tongue

I was stating an average at like a steady pace where you don't kill yourself, if you break it down further, the average is about 5 calories a minute, unless you go crazy and kill yourself, then yes you can do 10 calories a minute. I got the same number of calories in Your Shape as well as EASA on the same amount of time doing different activities, however I did not overdo them where I made myself exhausted, which would technically burn more, but I wouldn't of been able to last Tongue
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Ya, a number of songs, even on hard, have Torch or something similar. But it's usually just one or two flashcards, not a whole series of them.

Hmm...5 calories a minute is only 300 per hour, which would be categorized as really light exercise. Heh, this one calorie chart I'm looking at ranks gardening as more strenuous than 5 calories a minute.

Your Shape, the advanced classes, is pretty high intensity interval training. I usually do go to exhaustion, if the routines are hard enough. Once I'm done, I move onto Dance Central or some stationary cycling.
06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com simply enter your weight, workout duration and workout intensity to calculate your calories burned based on average metabolic rates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Zumba Kids for Kinect for Xbox 360 dirtyvu 0 2,093 07-26-2013 08:38 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Dance Central 3 dirtyvu 15 5,126 12-07-2012 05:32 AM
  Hip Hop Dance Experience dirtyvu 7 2,702 10-24-2012 12:40 AM
  Just Dance TV dirtyvu 1 901 10-23-2012 07:20 PM