We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Future of Kinect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Future of Kinect?
11-01-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 10:29 PM by grrgoyl1.)
Future of Kinect?
I have Googled high and low and not finding much, and when I do it's usually from Kinect haters who seem to be celebrating the potential death of Kinect. This place seemed much more promising.

Can anyone speak with any authority about the future of Kinect? I love my 360 but new games are obviously drying up since the One came out. I've considered upgrading but not worth the price based on the very meager Kinect library so far (and complaints about buggy One consoles).

So, opinions? Does Kinect have a future or is Microsoft going to keep leading us on hoping to sell more units while slowly letting it die? Appreciate any thoughts. Shy

(Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum, wasn't really sure where it should go.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 07:08 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Future of Kinect?
(11-01-2015 10:15 PM)grrgoyl1 Wrote:  I have Googled high and low and not finding much, and when I do it's usually from Kinect haters who seem to be celebrating the potential death of Kinect. This place seemed much more promising.

Can anyone speak with any authority about the future of Kinect? I love my 360 but new games are obviously drying up since the One came out. I've considered upgrading but not worth the price based on the very meager Kinect library so far (and complaints about buggy One consoles).

So, opinions? Does Kinect have a future or is Microsoft going to keep leading us on hoping to sell more units while slowly letting it die? Appreciate any thoughts. Shy

(Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum, wasn't really sure where it should go.)

The General Kinect Fourm on here would have probably been the best place to post it, just to be more accurate, but it's no problem. It's hard to say what the future of Kinect is going to be. Obviously Kinect 1 is unlikely to get more games beyond perhaps another Just Dance or something like that since, like you said, Xbox 360 games in general are drying up as the previous generation is over.

Kinect should have had a great future starting from when it was big on Xbox 360 but Micrsosoft just screwed up and is screwing up even worse now for some reason. They should have made more core Kinect games for Xbox 360 and pushed them hard, especially just before Xbox One was announced, as well as working more with 3rd parties to ensure more core games were made. They should have never cancelled games like Milo & Kate and the Xbox 360 version of Crimson Dragon which had full Kinect controls. Don't let anyone tell you "Kinect can't be used for core games" since not only are there already some core games for both Kinects (just not enough obviously) but we've already seen great things on YouTube (including a company actually making middleware for Kinect, why didn't anyone use them?? Huh ) that could have been used to make more core (and casual even) Kinect games. Which brings me to another major point where Microsoft screwed up, they should have allowed XBLIG to use Kinect! That was the only way to self publish games on Xbox 360, just think how many people making "Kinect hacks" could have made them into full-blown games and released them on XBLIG if it suported Kinect?! Sad At least they allow ID@Xbox games to use Kinect 2, but they've screwed that up too by releasing Kinect-less Xbox Ones, despite originally promising that they never would. So they've screwed over those devs too and no doubt put off many devs from making Kinect 2 games and there may be games that were never announced that have been cancelled due to Microsoft's stupid decision. Angry

So Microsoft should have been riding high with Kinect 1 when Xbox One was released and then had plenty of Kinect 2 launch games for Xbox One. But they actually went backwards and REMOVED the full Kinect controls from Crimson Dragon for some bizarre reason! At E3 2013 the dev said that they had added optional joypad controls because people had requested them, which is fair enough, but he also said that it would still have full Kinect controls as an option too. Then when it was released it didn't. I can only presume Microsoft asked for full Kinect controls to be removed but it makes no sense why they did. Ryse should have had at least some sections that were Kinect (motion) controlled like in the Xbox 360 trailer too. Crytek claim they made the decision for the game to be totally changed from a Kinect-controlled game to a joypad-controlled game but I'm not exactly totally convinced by that due to Microsoft's attitude towards Kinect the past few years and the almost total lack of Kinect 2 games from them.

Microsoft are just going backwards in regards to videogames and it's shocking. The whole industry is moving towards VR & motion controls and some of those games on PC either actually support Kinect 1 or 2 or they were designed using them but the finished game will use the motion controllers of whichever company or companies' VR device they're released for. Plus Sony are of course releasing Playstation VR (final name for Project Morpheus) next year which supports Move and they've just bought SoftKinectic and are creating their own Kinect-style device! Microsoft could and should have been at the leading edge of motion controls and giving us incredible gameplay experiences (especially core ones) already then adding VR onto that but instead they've not just dropped the ball but apparently kicked it far away and let others play with it instead!

I know there's Microsoft HoloLens coming at some point but many people are disappointed with the current version as can only see the "holograms" in a small window in the middle of your view, the video demos you've seen are a lie in terms of what you can actually see. Maybe when it's finally released for the public it will have the display across your whole view but nobody knows when that will be plus it might be really expensive since the developer version of the current HoloLens is out in Q1 2016 and will cost $,3000!

The Xbox One is around 10 MILLION consoles behind PS4 and I have no doubt that the main reason for that is because they snubbed Kinect 2, not because they launched with Kinect 2 bundled like so many websites, especially the big (and now we know corrupt) websites, always claim. When Microsoft first started selling Kinect-less Xbox Ones the Xbox One was around 3 million consoles behind PS4, if the sales problem was due to all Xbox Ones previously including Kinect 2 then shouldn't the sales gap have at least closed a little, not increased by 7 million?! Xbox's highest ever sales years by far were the years 2010 & 2011, Xbox 360 sold 13.53 million consoles in 2010 and just under 14 million (13.95 million) in 2011. (Compared to 10.16 million in 2009.) I don't think it's a coincidence that 2010 was the year Kinect was released and 2011 was the year that had the most Kinect games released, do you? Kinect 1 has sold probably at least 25 million by now (I don't know the exact sales, but it was 24 million in 2012 and I'm sure it has probably sold an extra 1 million in the past 3 years.) Since Xbox 360 has sold 85 million consoles so far that means WELL OVER A QUARTER (almost a 3rd actually, as 3 X 25m = 75m compared to 4 X 25m = 100m) of ALL Xbox 360 gamers are Kinect gamers! So Microsoft are snubbing well over a quarter (almost a third) of its Xbox fans, is it surprising that most of them (definitely at least half of Xbox fans who are also Kinect gamers) haven't bought Xbox One yet and may have in fact bought a PS4 or even a high end PC if they can afford it as they know they'll get a lot of not only motion controlled games but VR games too next year?

At least the Xbox One is still geting some ID@Xbox Kinect 2 games next year, but if Microsoft themselves don't get their act together and make a LOT more Kinect 2 games and get 3rd parties to make more Kinect 2 games too (even if they have to pay them) along with making a VR HMD or getting 3rd party VR HMD support (Oculus Rift only "supports Xbox One" in the sense that you can play regular Xbox One games on a "virtual cinema" screen. Even then you have to do it by streaming Xbox One to Oculus Rift via a Windows 10 PC as it doesn't directly support Xbox One so can't have Xbox One VR games either) then I'll have to either buy a PS4 & PlaystationVR etc or a very high-end PC (to future-proof it as much as possible) and a VR HMD (currently Valve/HTC's Vive for SteamVR seems to be the best) to play all the videogames I want to play, not just the joypad-controlled TV-displayed games. Unfortunately the best option (PC) will be incredibly expensive, probably well over £1,500. Even the PS4 option will probably cost over £500 as I would obviously have to buy the console itself as well as PlaystationVR and any extra devices it supports. I really don't want to have to support Sony though since they've been my console's rival since the first Playstation and they helped kill off the Dreamcast and knock SEGA out of the console-making business! Angry Also if Microsoft doesn't do those things then Xbox One could be dead by the end of next year if it keeps hamorrhaging sales and losing 3rd party exclusives (like Street Fighter 5 and especially Shenmue 3 which was the most requested game by Xbox One fans well before it was finally announced, although apparently there's still a chance that Shenmue 3 is only a timed exclusive and might be released on Xbox One eventually).

Having said all that, don't worry, I'll be writing the Kinect news until the very last game! (Which hopefully will be a very long time from now!) Big Grin
11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
RE: Future of Kinect?
(11-02-2015 05:56 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 10:15 PM)grrgoyl1 Wrote:  I have Googled high and low and not finding much, and when I do it's usually from Kinect haters who seem to be celebrating the potential death of Kinect. This place seemed much more promising.

The General Kinect Fourm on here would have probably been the best place to post it, just to be more accurate, but it's no problem. It's hard to say what the future of Kinect is going to be. Obviously Kinect 1 is unlikely to get more games beyond perhaps another Just Dance or something like that since, like you said, Xbox 360 games in general are drying up as the previous generation is over.

Kinect should have had a great future starting from when it was big on Xbox 360 but Micrsosoft just screwed up and is screwing up even worse now for some reason. They should have made more core Kinect games for Xbox 360 and pushed them hard, especially just before Xbox One was announced, as well as working more with 3rd parties to ensure more core games were made. They should have never cancelled games like Milo & Kate and the Xbox 360 version of Crimson Dragon which had full Kinect controls. Don't let anyone tell you "Kinect can't be used for core games" since not only are there already some core games for both Kinects (just not enough obviously) but we've already seen great things on YouTube (including a company actually making middleware for Kinect, why didn't anyone use them?? Huh ) that could have been used to make more core (and casual even) Kinect games. Which brings me to another major point where Microsoft screwed up, they should have allowed XBLIG to use Kinect! That was the only way to self publish games on Xbox 360, just think how many people making "Kinect hacks" could have made them into full-blown games and released them on XBLIG if it suported Kinect?! Sad At least they allow ID@Xbox games to use Kinect 2, but they've screwed that up too by releasing Kinect-less Xbox Ones, despite originally promising that they never would. So they've screwed over those devs too and no doubt put off many devs from making Kinect 2 games and there may be games that were never announced that have been cancelled due to Microsoft's stupid decision. Angry

So Microsoft should have been riding high with Kinect 1 when Xbox One was released and then had plenty of Kinect 2 launch games for Xbox One. But they actually went backwards and REMOVED the full Kinect controls from Crimson Dragon for some bizarre reason! At E3 2013 the dev said that they had added optional joypad controls because people had requested them, which is fair enough, but he also said that it would still have full Kinect controls as an option too. Then when it was released it didn't. I can only presume Microsoft asked for full Kinect controls to be removed but it makes no sense why they did. Ryse should have had at least some sections that were Kinect (motion) controlled like in the Xbox 360 trailer too. Crytek claim they made the decision for the game to be totally changed from a Kinect-controlled game to a joypad-controlled game but I'm not exactly totally convinced by that due to Microsoft's attitude towards Kinect the past few years and the almost total lack of Kinect 2 games from them.

Microsoft are just going backwards in regards to videogames and it's shocking. The whole industry is moving towards VR & motion controls and some of those games on PC either actually support Kinect 1 or 2 or they were designed using them but the finished game will use the motion controllers of whichever company or companies' VR device they're released for. Plus Sony are of course releasing Playstation VR (final name for Project Morpheus) next year which supports Move and they've just bought SoftKinectic and are creating their own Kinect-style device! Microsoft could and should have been at the leading edge of motion controls and giving us incredible gameplay experiences (especially core ones) already then adding VR onto that but instead they've not just dropped the ball but apparently kicked it far away and let others play with it instead!

I know there's Microsoft HoloLens coming at some point but many people are disappointed with the current version as can only see the "holograms" in a small window in the middle of your view, the video demos you've seen are a lie in terms of what you can actually see. Maybe when it's finally released for the public it will have the display across your whole view but nobody knows when that will be plus it might be really expensive since the developer version of the current HoloLens is out in Q1 2016 and will cost $,3000!

The Xbox One is around 10 MILLION consoles behind PS4 and I have no doubt that the main reason for that is because they snubbed Kinect 2, not because they launched with Kinect 2 bundled like so many websites, especially the big (and now we know corrupt) websites, always claim. When Microsoft first started selling Kinect-less Xbox Ones the Xbox One was around 3 million consoles behind PS4, if the sales problem was due to all Xbox Ones previously including Kinect 2 then shouldn't the sales gap have at least closed a little, not increased by 7 million?! Xbox's highest ever sales years by far were the years 2010 & 2011, Xbox 360 sold 13.53 million consoles in 2010 and just under 14 million (13.95 million) in 2011. (Compared to 10.16 million in 2009.) I don't think it's a coincidence that 2010 was the year Kinect was released and 2011 was the year that had the most Kinect games released, do you? Kinect 1 has sold probably at least 25 million by now (I don't know the exact sales, but it was 24 million in 2012 and I'm sure it has probably sold an extra 1 million in the past 3 years.) Since Xbox 360 has sold 85 million consoles so far that means WELL OVER A QUARTER (almost a 3rd actually, as 3 X 25m = 75m compared to 4 X 25m = 100m) of ALL Xbox 360 gamers are Kinect gamers! So Microsoft are snubbing well over a quarter (almost a third) of its Xbox fans, is it surprising that most of them (definitely at least half of Xbox fans who are also Kinect gamers) haven't bought Xbox One yet and may have in fact bought a PS4 or even a high end PC if they can afford it as they know they'll get a lot of not only motion controlled games but VR games too next year?

At least the Xbox One is still geting some ID@Xbox Kinect 2 games next year, but if Microsoft themselves don't get their act together and make a LOT more Kinect 2 games and get 3rd parties to make more Kinect 2 games too (even if they have to pay them) along with making a VR HMD or getting 3rd party VR HMD support (Oculus Rift only "supports Xbox One" in the sense that you can play regular Xbox One games on a "virtual cinema" screen. Even then you have to do it by streaming Xbox One to Oculus Rift via a Windows 10 PC as it doesn't directly support Xbox One so can't have Xbox One VR games either) then I'll have to either buy a PS4 & PlaystationVR etc or a very high-end PC (to future-proof it as much as possible) and a VR HMD (currently Valve/HTC's Vive for SteamVR seems to be the best) to play all the videogames I want to play, not just the joypad-controlled TV-displayed games. Unfortunately the best option (PC) will be incredibly expensive, probably well over £1,500. Even the PS4 option will probably cost over £500 as I would obviously have to buy the console itself as well as PlaystationVR and any extra devices it supports. I really don't want to have to support Sony though since they've been my console's rival since the first Playstation and they helped kill off the Dreamcast and knock SEGA out of the console-making business! Angry Also if Microsoft doesn't do those things then Xbox One could be dead by the end of next year if it keeps hamorrhaging sales and losing 3rd party exclusives (like Street Fighter 5 and especially Shenmue 3 which was the most requested game by Xbox One fans well before it was finally announced, although apparently there's still a chance that Shenmue 3 is only a timed exclusive and might be released on Xbox One eventually).

Having said all that, don't worry, I'll be writing the Kinect news until the very last game! (Which hopefully will be a very long time from now!) Big Grin

Wow, I didn't expect such a comprehensive and very helpful reply! You've confirmed what I suspected deep down though (although I don't follow the industry enough to have all that specific evidence you gave, and I appreciate it greatly. Especially the news about Crimson Dragon -- I only just discovered that on the Marketplace recently and thought it looked promising, but was confused that I couldn't find a Kinect version).

I agree with everything you said, about Xbox dropping the ball and falling behind competitors. I guess I shouldn't tell you that just yesterday I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on a PS3 for the Move peripheral (some excellent deals to be had now that everyone wants a PS4). I didn't know they were planning a VR setup in the future (though I'm sure it will be even further in the future before I can afford it). I loved the Wii, but never thought I'd go back to holding a controller since trying the Kinect. But I can't keep playing the same 10-15 games for the rest of my life in the name of Microsoft loyalty, of which I don't particularly have any (and I'm sure I'm not alone, hence the need to stay competitive. Hope you're paying attention, Microsoft). I'll keep my 360 for the few really good Kinect games I have, but I'm not paying top dollar for a One just for the hope of a handful of new games that sound pretty hit-or-miss in the reviews.

I really appreciate your incredibly thorough answer to my question. And I want to add that your Xbox avatar and mine are practically twins, which I find a little unsettling Wink Cheers!
11-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Information RE: Future of Kinect?
(11-03-2015 06:25 PM)grrgoyl1 Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 05:56 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  

Wow, I didn't expect such a comprehensive and very helpful reply! You've confirmed what I suspected deep down though (although I don't follow the industry enough to have all that specific evidence you gave, and I appreciate it greatly. Especially the news about Crimson Dragon -- I only just discovered that on the Marketplace recently and thought it looked promising, but was confused that I couldn't find a Kinect version).

I agree with everything you said, about Xbox dropping the ball and falling behind competitors. I guess I shouldn't tell you that just yesterday I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on a PS3 for the Move peripheral (some excellent deals to be had now that everyone wants a PS4). I didn't know they were planning a VR setup in the future (though I'm sure it will be even further in the future before I can afford it). I loved the Wii, but never thought I'd go back to holding a controller since trying the Kinect. But I can't keep playing the same 10-15 games for the rest of my life in the name of Microsoft loyalty, of which I don't particularly have any (and I'm sure I'm not alone, hence the need to stay competitive. Hope you're paying attention, Microsoft). I'll keep my 360 for the few really good Kinect games I have, but I'm not paying top dollar for a One just for the hope of a handful of new games that sound pretty hit-or-miss in the reviews.

I really appreciate your incredibly thorough answer to my question. And I want to add that your Xbox avatar and mine are practically twins, which I find a little unsettling Wink Cheers!

No problem. Smile You should keep your Xbox 360 and Kinect 1 even if you eventually get an Xbox One as the upcoming backwards compatibility won't support Kinect 1 games unfortunately. Sad
11-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Oh absolutely. As I pointed out in a recent Amazon review, I think another factor in killing Kinect was the frustrating inconsistency in implementation. I have a few really great games that I play over and over again, and those make the console worth owning on their own. But for every great game, there seems to be twice as many stinkers out there. Angry

I might look at the One again in a few years, when everyone has moved onto the next big thing and prices drop dramatically. Of course, at that point MS won't be supporting it anymore either. But I'm realizing systems become obsolete whether you're an early adopter or late to the party, which I always am. I'd rather be the latter and not pay full price for something that will inevitably end up in the dustbin of gaming history either way. Cool
03-05-2016, 09:24 PM
I wish they would convert Kinect 1 games to Kinect 2 controls since they are pushing backwards. I'd so buy a few
03-06-2016, 09:40 AM
(03-05-2016 09:24 PM)SSJmole Wrote:  I wish they would convert Kinect 1 games to Kinect 2 controls since they are pushing backwards. I'd so buy a few

Unfortunately I don't think backwards compatibility will be possible for Kinect 1 games as Kinect 1 works differently to Kinect 2. Although I don't know why Microsoft don't (or can't?) allow Xbox One to be compatible with Kinect 1 so that the games can work too if you plugged in Kinect 1. Companies should at least release some Kinect 1 game remasters since they seem to be remastering quite a few Xbox 360 games these days. At least Virtual Air Guitar Company are releasing an Xbox One version of Kung-Fu High Impact but I don't know how much it's upgraded beyond the already mentioned fight mechanics overhaul. (And presumably 1080p, although I can't remember whether the Xbox 360 version was 720p or 1080p as I know there are some 1080p Xbox 360 games.)
05-07-2016, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 12:56 PM by matthewcrim.)
A NEW WAY TO GAME! IS THE XBOX ONE KINECT THE RIGHT NEXT GADGET FOR YOU? There are a plethora of game systems and games out there. Gamers are now able to enjoy long hours of gameplay without the need to physically hold a controller. Kinect has had the gaming world to another level, you are the controller with a hands free body motion controller plus you've got a great deal fun with the family and friends or in the event you only want to play on your own, it is possible too.

promocodesoffice.com/microsoft-xbox-one-promo-code-coupons.html
07-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Xbox Fitness being discontinued and no new games for Xbox One developed, there's almost no use buying Xbox One. Perhaps one should rather go with Playstation.