everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Any links that can point me towards an answer?

My personal safe playspace ends at about 5 feet away from my TV. I have an old fashioned tube 32 inches. I could go out and get a wall mounted flatscreen to make my personal play space up to 7 feet but I really don't want to spend money on a new tv or wallmount.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
RE: Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?
From what I've read they state a minimum of 6ft for 1 player and 8ft for 2 players, I've got 9ft at a push so I'm borderline and worried that I won't have enough, I really can't see the fancy light dangling from the ceiling right above where I'll have to stand lasting for too long before I accidentally smash it up..

[Image: Leafs1201.png]

ASTON VILLA F.C

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

ENGLAND
11-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Hopefully the people on this forum will be able to help you with the distance part once their Kinect is in. Not sure bout the amount of playspace I can free up in my room Sad.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
(11-03-2010 10:42 PM)Leafs1201 Wrote:  From what I've read they state a minimum of 6ft for 1 player and 8ft for 2 players, I've got 9ft at a push so I'm borderline and worried that I won't have enough, I really can't see the fancy light dangling from the ceiling right above where I'll have to stand lasting for too long before I accidentally smash it up..

Have the exact same problem, I moved my living room around last month for kinect, think im gonna have to move it slightly a bit more 2. def enough room for me, def enough room for the kids but for me and my friends think im gonna have to make a few adjustments here and there
11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
yea it will continue to tell you skoot back your to close 6ft minimum maybe 5 3/4 but anything closer it will tell you to move back

Dont nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Make sure to mount it to the top of the TV, this wil give you a little more leeway with being closer to the device.
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
(11-04-2010 02:47 PM)C0d3_W4rr10r Wrote:  Make sure to mount it to the top of the TV, this wil give you a little more leeway with being closer to the device.

What if I mount the sensor 7 feet high? Do you think 4.5 feet will work?
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Well it gives 6 feet as the limit, I would put it at that limit and see what kind of results I get.
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Just pulled this excerpt from the kinect setup section on xboxlive.

"Note In smaller rooms, try to position the sensor as close to 6 feet (1.8m) as possible."

So, I would put it up to that limit, and see how close it lets you get , good luck Nick
11-05-2010, 02:17 AM
(11-04-2010 09:43 PM)C0d3_W4rr10r Wrote:  Just pulled this excerpt from the kinect setup section on xboxlive.

"Note In smaller rooms, try to position the sensor as close to 6 feet (1.8m) as possible."

So, I would put it up to that limit, and see how close it lets you get , good luck Nick

Thanks. I am going to hold out for a solid answer on this before purchasing. Hopefully a reviewer tests this out toroughly over the next couple days.
11-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Bug RE: Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?
I wish the (so-called professional) reviewers would actually go and get a tape measure and measure the exact distance for both minimum distance (for full body tracking) and the "sweet spot" for 1 player and 2 player games rather than just saying "about 6 to 8 feet". Angry
11-05-2010, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 03:49 AM by Nick.)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect...-a-survey/

This should help shed some light on the issue. The article doesn't suggest moving the sensor up to to shorten the distance requirement but it does talk about some space issues.
11-05-2010, 04:46 AM
(11-05-2010 02:17 AM)Nick Wrote:  
(11-04-2010 09:43 PM)C0d3_W4rr10r Wrote:  Just pulled this excerpt from the kinect setup section on xboxlive.

Thanks. I am going to hold out for a solid answer on this before purchasing. Hopefully a reviewer tests this out toroughly over the next couple days.

honestly, the best test is going to the store and play with it yourself. i know our Best Buy had a store demo to play. some gamestops have a store demo. the Microsoft store. some Toys R Us. it really depends on the game and the placement of the camera. the higher the cam, the closer you can be. I'll take Kinect Adventures as an example. There is a window (and the window varies depending on where your camera is placed). You step too close, it tells you to step back. step a couple feet (roughly, not literally) back and it says you're too far away. but there is more leeway than some of the reviews say. I actually expected to be farther back from the TV based on the reviews but when I stood at where I thought the kinect reviews said to stand, the screen told me I was too far away. and they have visual cues too (meaning when you step closer, your avatar is bigger) so it's not such a rigid thing where you wonder where do I stand? you find out in seconds.

if you're unsure, don't buy it. really do try it out yourself somewhere. always trust your own judgement over other people's. that's why they always say, to each his own.
11-05-2010, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 05:10 AM by Nick.)
One thing I was thinking of doing was making a shelf unit above my TV at about 7 feet that would hold the Kinect sensor. Maybe this shelf would stick out about .5-1 ft. The sensor would sit closer to the wall but high enough so that the TV doesn't come into view. My tv is on top of a cabinet that is about 2 feet deep. This would get me to almost 6.5-7 feet.

The problem is though that if I buy it and it doesn't work, I'm stuck with it. I've heard the return policy is the same as games. I'll likely just keep browsing the internet from time to time for an answer. It is truely a bummer though as I was really excited for this.
11-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I temp. mounted mine to the top of my TV b/C I have a small apt. and I was at the closest limit to the kinect. but my girlfreind and I did play table tennis together. I would say 6 1/2 feet away and backed up against the wall. We did have the occasional hit at one another but not too bad. Thank god we are moving into a house at the begining of the year, and no downstairs neighbor to annoy. But it def. needs some room but can make dew in smaller apartments. The only thing is that when ever we want to play for now the couch has to be pushed into the other room. But worth it IMPO. Love it and had a blast playing it. I am going to get a TV mount for it soon, had to velcro it to the top of the TV and worried it will fall off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kinect won't work StormChaser83 6 1,603 11-16-2013 03:50 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Sensor at 7 feet high Bajamex99 2 3,179 12-31-2011 02:21 AM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  how scores work in bowling magic 2 4,503 03-28-2011 11:10 PM
  Will kinect work in my home: A Wierd Scenario Aspernatio 11 8,562 01-16-2011 11:13 PM
Last Post: watchmefly420
  Does Kinect work with Netflix yet? Casmi 8 8,173 12-17-2010 10:07 PM
Last Post: HazyCloud
  Video Kinect autozoom does't work- Any ideas? kf6noz 4 6,705 11-30-2010 05:24 AM