Independent VR developer Studio HG originally released SteamVR and Oculus versions of their anime-style first-person sci-fi action game OVERTURN. Now their publisher, YJM Games, has released a native Windows Mixed Reality version on the Windows Store! OVERTURN is available to download for £24.99 (UK) / €29.99 (EU) / $29.99 (US) and you can watch a trailer for it above.
This has been quite a popular and well received game so far. As you can see from the trailer it looks great, but what’s even more amazing is that Studio HG is actually just a one-man developer! It’s a spin-off from his previous game, Smashing The Battle, which is available in both VR and non-VR editions. The VR version of that game is available on SteamVR but it only mentions support for the HTC Vive and I can’t confirm whether it also works with Windows Mixed Reality or not. (It’s also available for the Oculus Rift, but only from the Oculus Store. Apparently the SteamVR version doesn’t work with the Rift.)
You can read more about OVERTURN in this description from the Windows Store. Plus you can watch a gameplay trailer and entertaining reaction video below that:
You’ve found yourself inside a futuristic laboratory with no memory of who you are or how you got there. You begin to wonder – are there others like me?
Find your way out of the confines of the laboratory and unravel the story to understand what’s going on. You’ll meet Magi, a mysterious girl with a dark history equipped with special skills and abilities during your journey – work together to escape and reveal the secret of OVERTURN!
OVERTURN is a first-person shooter (FPS) action-puzzle adventure game that offers players a chance to experience an immersive action-packed VR world. Choose from an extensive arsenal of weapons to destroy your foes, from beam rifles, swords, or even your bare fists. OVERTURN’s tight and responsive combat system offers players free movement to fight and defend themselves. Enter OVERTURN to experience the ultimate action experience within a dangerous fantasy world filled with towering bosses and a story that will keep you playing until the very end.
1. An immersive FPS that combines adventure with puzzle elements.
OVERTURN is a full-blown VR FPS game that immerses players into a fantasy world where quick reactions and sharp shooting are needed to stay alive.
2. A mysterious and unique story that you can’t just ‘stop playing’.
How will you escape the laboratory holding you prisoner? With full character narration, start to unravel the complex story behind your imprisonment within the facility.
3. Employ a vast arsenal of weapons at your disposal for the ultimate VR FPS experience.
Choose your weapon! From beam rifles, melee weapons like swords or even using your bare fists, you’ll be challenged from the beginning to use any weapon available to destroy your enemies.
- Fan-art from community contributors.
Find and unlock wonderful OVERTURN illustrations displayed in-game that have been created by famous artists.
Meet Magi, your companion throughout your journey! Magi possesses special skills and abilities that can assist you during your mission to escape the laboratory. Still, questions remain – who is Magi really, and can you ultimately trust her?
- INFINITE CHARGING: Allows you to fire charged shots instantly, allowing you to defeat enemies with just one shot of your powerful beam rifle.
- TIME SLOW: Slows down time which impacts everything around you. Move quickly to unleash deadly attacks on your foes!
- SHIELD: Creates an invincible shield for a few moments. Deflect enemy attacks and fire away without fear of taking any damage.
- ITEM – HP: Magi will create an HP item for you, which instantly recovers your full health during battle.
- ITEM – GRENADE: Magi will create a grenade that you can throw at enemies – watch it detonate and blow your adversaries to shreds!
- BATTLE MAGI: Magi to the rescue! Magi will transform into battle mode for a limited time and help clear the area of all enemies.
Update Plan (COMING SOON)
- Multiplayer – [PVP ARENA MODE]: Join other players and step inside the competitive multiplayer modes for up to 6 players. Survive till the end and be on top of the world rankings!
I have recently bought OVERTURN myself and was planning on writing a first impressions article, but unfortunately I’ve been sidetracked by trying to get hold of a Kinect Adapter for my Xbox One X and haven’t even had a chance to play the game yet. I may write the article at a later date.
Do you like the look of OVERTURN? Have you bought it already or played it on another VR system? Let us know in the comments below, or create a discussion in our (PC) Windows Mixed Reality VR Games forum. You can also write your own review of the game in our (PC) Windows Mixed Reality VR Game Reviews forum.
Processor: Intel i5-4590
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970
DirectX: Version 9
Storage: 12 GB available space
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
Memory: 12 GB
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 12 GB available space