The Official Xbox Magazine has found a couple of job ads that suggest Rare is not only working on a cloud-based Kinect game, or at least a Kinect game with cloud services, that they say will “push the boundaries of the Kinect hardware” but also a “jaw-dropping, never-been-done-before” Kinect 2 game!
Here are some excerpts from the first ad for a Principal Network Services Engineer mentioning Kinect and cloud services:
Following on from the success of ‘Kinect Sports’ and its recent sequel ‘Kinect Sports: Season Two’, Rare is continuing to push the boundaries of the Kinect hardware with our exciting new project. We’re looking for an experienced and passionate engineer to join us on this journey.
Based at our custom built Twycross site, this role will involve you working as part of the Cloud Services engineering team in order to develop and deliver Cloud Services for our current and future products. As part of your role, you will be required to work closely with Artists, Designers, Producers and Program Managers. As a Principal, you may also be expected to undertake some elements of leadership including mentoring other engineers and helping drive the direction of Cloud Services in our future titles.
- Deliver cloud services that support gameplay, data sharing and title instrumentation.
- Develop and maintain game-side libraries to interface with cloud hosted services.
- Understand the cutting edge of cloud services technology to ensure we leverage the right tools at the right time.
- Work closely with design in order to define ambitious cloud services within our upcoming titles.
- Contribute to the long-term cloud services strategy at Rare to ensure we will be able to provide players with the services they expect from future titles.
- Contribute to defining and implementing game and customer behavioral analysis requirements by working with non-engineering disciplines.
- Work with IT infrastructure engineers to onboard and maintain services.
- Mentor and manage engineers in the cloud services group.
- Drive engineering excellence within Rare.
Here are some excerpts from the second ad for a Gameplay Engineer which definitely seem to point to a next-gen Xbox Kinect 2 game:
There’s always a place here for the very best talent to help shape the future. If you’d like to be part of a pioneering team dedicated to the next jaw-dropping, never-been-done-before Rare project, why not come and join us?
In this role, you will be a crucial part of a passionate team of gameplay engineers, working with designers and producers to create stunning, groundbreaking game entity reactions & input interpretation. During prototyping you will occasionally be working with extremely early prototype hardware co-developed with teams located off-site. You will need to showcase possibilities to inspire our designers, quickly iterating even when the underlying platform may be unstable or rapidly changing.
- Natural user experience work, such as touch, motion or voice assisted games.
Hopefully we’ll see at least 1 of these new games in action soon!