Just prior to E3 Microsoft & Playground Games revealed Forza Horizon 2 with a teaser trailer. Then at Microsoft’s E3 Conference they showed the full trailer, which you can watch above, and announced the open-world racing sequel for both Xbox One and Xbox 360. Each version of Forza Horizon 2 will be made by a separate developer and run on a separate engine. The Xbox One version is being developed by Playground Games using a modified Forza Motorsport 5 engine, whereas the Xbox 360 version is being developed by Sumo Digital using a modified version of the original Forza Horizon engine.
Unfortunately there was no mention of Kinect during the E3 presentation. However, in the E3 fact sheet for the Xbox One version of the game it did in fact say that it supported Kinect 2 and I managed to get that confirmed with Turn 10, although they wouldn’t reveal exactly how it supported Kinect 2 yet and I don’t know if the Xbox 360 version will support the original Kinect. Hopefully more about the Kinect support will be revealed sooner rather than later!
You can read the Xbox One version’s E3 fact sheet for more info, watch a video preview from IGN and look at the first Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox One version) screenshots below:
“Forza Horizon 2”
Xbox One Fact Sheet
Title: “Forza Horizon 2”
Availability: Sept. 30, 2014 – North America and LATAM
October 2, 2014 – APAC
October 3, 2014 – EMEA
Publisher: Microsoft Studios / Turn 10 Studios
Developer: Playground Games
ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
Format: Blu-ray for the Xbox One video game and entertainment system; Xbox Live-enabled; compatible with Kinect for Xbox One
Pricing: Day One Edition: $59.99, £49.99, €69.99
Race through a massive wide-open world featuring dramatic weather and day-to-night cycles. Instantly connect with friends in the ultimate celebration of speed, style, and action-packed driving. Explore beautiful and exotic locations in more than 200 of the world’s greatest cars, all created with precise detail in stunning 1080p.
Explore a Massive, Living Open World – A world of beauty and freedom awaits.
- The next evolution of the best-in-class Forza graphics engine delivers full day and night cycle with spectacular weather, lighting, and visual effects.
- An epic road trip career mode adapts to your car choices with hundreds of events across a beautiful and diverse European landscape.
- However you like to play, there is an endless variety of free-roam driving fun. Whether you’re racing, hunting hidden treasures like exotic barn find cars, or showing off your customized rides at car meet locations spread across the world, the choice is yours.
Action-Packed Driving – Take risks and earn rewards for showing off your driving skills and style.
- Smash through fences onto back country dirt trails, plow though fields of crops and dense forests, and discover new shortcuts on your thrilling, high- speed adventures.
- Race against aircraft and trains in thrilling Showcase events.
- Make your name at the Horizon Festival. Whether you’re racing in traffic, catching huge air, or racking up skill points and combos with awesome stunts, your legacy begins here.
Instantly Connect with Friends on Xbox One.
- Jump between solo and online play instantly. No lobbies, no waiting.
- Join friends online and free roam together, compete in races and team modes, or take part in fun co-op Bucket List challenges.
- Join or create your own Car Club of up to 1000 members to expand your network of friends and rule the leaderboards.
- In solo play, Drivatar™ technology fills your world with your friends even when they aren’t online.
Your Ultimate Car Fantasy – Drive more than 200 of the world’s greatest cars.
- A diverse collection of amazing vehicles ranging from extreme off-roaders to modern supercars, classic muscle, and much more.
- Every car and truck is recreated in obsessive detail, with full cockpit views, including functional windshield wipers, working headlights, and authentic interiors.
- The Horizon Festival invites you to join its celebration of cars, music, freedom, and fun on the world’s greatest roads. Get ready for the road trip of your life!
Features and requirements subject to change. Features vary between Xbox 360 and Xbox One version of game (each sold separately.) Xbox One games for use only with Xbox One systems. Games made for Xbox 360 will not work on Xbox One. Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately) required for online multiplayer. Multiplayer between Xbox One and Xbox 360 not supported.
About Turn 10 Studios
“Forza Horizon 2” is published by Microsoft Studios in conjunction with Turn 10 Studios, the creators of the “Forza Motorsport” franchise, which is recognized by Metacritic as the highest rated racing series of the past ten years. In 2013, Turn 10 Studios released “Forza Motorsport 5,” the year’s most widely acclaimed racing game that was recognized as the “Racing Game of the Year” at the 2014 DICE awards.
More information about the Forza Motorsport franchise is available at http://www.forzamotorsport.net.
About Playground Games
Playground Games is an independent UK game development studio formed in 2009. It was founded by the leadership team responsible for award-winning Codemasters racing franchises “TOCA,” “GRID” and “DiRT,” and over the past several years has enhanced its core team with experienced developers from Bizarre Creations, Black Rock Studios, Slightly Mad Studios, Criterion Games, Rockstar North and Ubisoft Reflections among others. Playground Games was recognized as the ‘Best New Studio’ in the Develop Awards 2013.
Xbox is Microsoft’s premier entertainment brand for the TV, phone, PC and tablet. In living rooms or on the go, Xbox is home to the best and broadest games, as well as one of the world’s largest libraries of movies, TV, music and sports. Your favorite games, TV and entertainment come to life in new ways through the power of Kinect, Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Live, the world’s premier social entertainment network. More information about Xbox can be found online at http://www.xbox.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a pre-release product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft Corp. makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.
Exploring Forza Horizon 2’s Dynamic World – IGN First
Screenshots (Xbox One)
Source: The Official Xbox YouTube Channel, IGN Entertainment's YouTube Channel