At this year’s Gamescom Microsoft’s Turn 10 Studios revealed Forza Motorsport 5‘s Laguna Seca track as well as Spa-Francorchamps which is new to the franchise. Unfortunately they didn’t reveal anymore Kinect 2 features beyond the already confirmed head-tracking and voice commands but hopefully at least the Forza Vista mode (the new name for Autovista) will have Kinect 2 support. They did also talk about the new physics engine though, which was showcased at the event and made possible by the power of Xbox One. There are more details in the video interview with Forza 5’s creative director Dan Greenawalt above and excerpts from Xbox Wire below, along with a video of the Gamescom demo and new screenshots:
The addition of Spa-Francorchamps to “Forza Motorsport 5” will surely be music to Forza fans’ ears. Nestled in the Ardennes countryside of Belgium, the 4.3-mile Spa track is home to legendary corners like “La Source” and “Eau Rouge” and has been one of the most requested tracks from fans since the Forza series’ beginning. Laser-scanned and meticulously recreated at 1080p and 60fps, Spa makes its franchise debut in “Forza Motorsport 5”. We’ll have more on Spa, including screenshots of the track in the future, so stay tuned!
Located in central California, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca has become an iconic location in American racing and is home to the illustrious “Corkscrew” curve. Famous for its staggering drop in elevation, Laguna Seca is known for its busy racing calendar, including the American Le Mans Series as well as the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, which took place last weekend as part of the Monterey Peninsula’s annual Classic Car Week. This week, gamescom attendees will have the chance to take a lap of Laguna Seca in the playable build of Forza Motorsport 5 found at the Xbox booth.
New physics engine
Gamescom attendees will be among the first players in the world to test drive the new physics engine that is at the heart of the “Forza Motorsport 5” gameplay experience. For “Forza Motorsport 5”, the developers at Turn 10 Studios worked closely with their partners at Calspan – the leading tire testing organization in the world – to develop a completely new and unique set of tire data, including tests and parameters that have never before been utilized in racing games.
“Developing and improving the driving physics has, in many ways, become the central pursuit for the Forza Motorsport series,” said Forza Motorsport 5 creative director Dan Greenawalt. “We are always chasing that perfect simulation where we can accurately recreate the infinite variables of driving in the digital world. At the same time, that pursuit is always tempered by the limits of what we know about the science of vehicle dynamics and the properties of high performance materials.
“For Forza Motorsport 5, we have an incredibly powerful console at our disposal in the Xbox One. To make the most of that power, we had to collect data on tire variables that have never been isolated – to refactor our understanding of tire technology through the lens of a much more powerful console; one that could handle the increasingly complex formulae of heat, slip and weight transfer that our increased understanding demands. Thanks to the power of the Xbox One and our Calspan partnership, we are implementing truly cutting edge scientific understanding of tire physics, suspension geometry, and aerodynamics – we’re not implementing the recommendations of last year’s text books, we’re running the tests that will write the vehicle dynamics text books of the next several years. ”
As the link between the player, the car, tires are the crucial key to the “Forza Motorsport 5” driving experience. By using state-of-the-art Calspan data, the driving model in “Forza Motorsport 5” has been developed with the most current and realistic tire data to be found in the world. For the player, this means a new level of depth and control to be found in all the cars in the game, and a new level of immersion and challenge each time they play the game.
Gamescom demo cars
2012 #1 Audi Team Joest R-18 e-tron quattro
2013 Ford Focus ST
2012 Ferrari F12berlinetta
2013 McLaren P1™
1954 Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe
Here’s the latest fact sheet:
“Forza Motorsport 5”
Title: “Forza Motorsport 5”
Availability: November 2013
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developer: Turn 10 Studios
Format: Blu-ray for the Xbox One video game and entertainment system; Xbox Live-enabled*; compatible with Kinect for Xbox One
ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
Pricing: Standard Edition: $59.99, £49.99, €69.99
Limited Edition: $79.99, £59.99, €79.99
“Forza Motorsport 5” is a cinematic automotive journey starring the world’s greatest cars and tracks. Built from the ground up to take advantage of Xbox One and the vast power of the cloud, no game better delivers the wide-eyed thrill of racing.
Always racing, always adapting
- Never race alone. By learning how you and your friends drive, the power of the cloud delivers real human behavior. Drivatar technology creates an ever-evolving network of opponents who are always ready to race. Real tendencies, real mistakes, real victories.
- Rivals everywhere. Every corner a new challenge, every event a new chance to win. Compete against your friends’ top times in rotating challenges for in-game credits and bragging rights.
- Fast and fair multiplayer. With Smart Match matchmaking and Xbox Live dedicated servers, experience epic, fast and competitive multiplayer perfectly suited to your skill and style.1
- Curated customization. The power of the cloud means the best custom content now finds you. With a system that learns your preferred cars and paint schemes, seamlessly experience the most compelling user-generated content available.
- Your ever-growing garage. Your automotive journey continues long after launch. Download, drive and explore the most anticipated new cars in the world, months before they hit the showrooms, then challenge your friends in continuously updated online race events.2
As real as it gets
- Unprecedented visual realism. The definitive next-generation graphics engine delivers stunningly realistic visuals in 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second.
- Leading simulation. Racing’s leading simulation engine, developed for Xbox One in conjunction with Calspan and the world’s top automotive manufacturers, makes driving easy to learn and rewarding to master.
- Dynamic damage. High-resolution damage modeling shows every bump and scrape. Roads accumulate tire rubber and debris. Racing has consequences; damage can stop you in your tracks.
- Astonishing detail. A new graphics engine created exclusively for Xbox One delivers physically based material rendering that re-creates the real-life characteristics of thousands of unique materials. Surfaces such as metal, glass, leather, rubber and concrete look real enough to touch.
- Living busy worlds. Racing comes alive with fans crowding the walls, helicopters circling overhead and the vibrant hum and spectacle of race day.
Your ultimate car fantasy
- Forzavista. Truly feel what it’s like to own the world’s most exclusive cars in an experience that brings you closer than ever to the history, craftsmanship and potential of every car in the game.
- Hundreds of next-generation cars. The most diverse lineup of vehicles ever seen in a “Forza Motorsport” game: from classic sports cars to modern tuners, purpose-built racers to extreme exotics and, for the first time in “Forza Motorsport,” open-wheel race cars.
- Unique careers. Take your favorite cars through unique careers highlighting their greatest strengths, their most notorious rivals and their place in motorsport history.
- Laser-scanned tracks. Drive the world’s most legendary race circuits and exotic road courses, captured with millimeter accuracy.
- “Top Gear” exclusives. The world’s biggest automotive TV show teams up with the most innovative racing game yet. Take on Stig’s Digital Cousin in unique car challenges, turn a Power Lap on the Top Gear Test Track, and hear show hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May share their distinctive automotive insights throughout the game.
“Forza Motorsport 5” is available in three different editions – Standard, Day One, and Limited – and is available for worldwide pre-order from participating retailers.
*The cars featured in the Limited Edition Car Pack and the Day One Edition Car Pack of “Forza Motorsport 5” have been customized with unique Xbox One liveries and feature custom tunes designed by the developers at Turn 10 to improve performance above their stock counterparts. The stock versions of these cars will also be available on disc in “Forza Motorsport 5.”
About Turn 10 Studios
“Forza Motorsport 5” is published by Microsoft Studios in conjunction with Turn 10 Studios, the creators of the “Forza Motorsport” franchise, which is recognized by Metacritic as the highest rated racing series of the past ten years. In 2011, Turn 10 Studios released “Forza Motorsport 4,” the year’s most widely acclaimed racing game that was recognized as “Racing Game of the Year” by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.
More information about the Forza Motorsport franchise is available at http://www.forzamotorsport.net.
Xbox is Microsoft’s premier entertainment brand for the TV, phone, PC and tablet. In living rooms or on the go, Xbox is home to the best and broadest games, as well as one of the world’s largest libraries of movies, TV, music and sports. Your favorite games, TV and entertainment come to life in new ways through the power of Kinect, Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Live, the world’s premier social entertainment network. More information about Xbox can be found online at http://www.xbox.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a pre-release product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft Corp. makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.1 Online multiplayer requires Xbox Live Gold Membership (sold separately). 2 Some add-ons sold separately.
Source: The Official Xbox YouTube Channel, Xbox Wire, CalledEvo's YouTube Channel