/ / v /

3d display, split-screen gaming w/o splitting, etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Microsoft is getting in on the Kinect hacks. Here's a video with multiple demos within:

the first couple demos are dull but they provide the backdrop for the other demos. you can have a 3D stereoscopic image without any glasses. The 3D demo isn't new except for the fact that Microsoft is putting the Kinect as part of the demo. With non-glasses 3D, the problem is the limited viewing angles and Microsoft came up way back when with a way to aim the TV at the viewer so that they see the 3D properly: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/20...lasses.ars

The fourth demo is taking advantage of this stereoscopic image by having split screen images without having to split the screen. each person has their own complete separate and different view. In the demo, one guy sees a tea pot but the other guy sees a skull. Again, this isn't new (I think Nvidia demoed this before but using 3d glasses) but this is the first time MS showed off their version.

And the last demo is basically their version of headtracking.

And doesn't the white Kinect look cool?!?!?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Thumbs Up RE: 3d display, split-screen gaming w/o splitting, etc.
There's a Kinect hack that is actually similar to that, except with a standard 3DTV. (So therefore with glasses.) It also includes a teapot. What's with the teapots??Huh Lol!

I reckon they should call this 3D³. (3D (as in stereoscopic) image, 3D (as in polygons) graphics and 3D tracking.) Cool
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
RE: 3d display, split-screen gaming w/o splitting, etc.
WOW... that's awesome Big Grin

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
RE: 3d display, split-screen gaming w/o splitting, etc.
It is very cool. I hope they run with this 3-d head-tracking thing. Does this mean thought that movies will need to be "Kinect-ready"? I wish there was a way to use existing DVD's or blue-ray's. I assume movies will have to be created from scratch with this technology in mind.
03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Information RE: 3d display, split-screen gaming w/o splitting, etc.
(03-01-2011 02:57 PM)Nick Wrote:  It is very cool. I hope they run with this 3-d head-tracking thing. Does this mean thought that movies will need to be "Kinect-ready"? I wish there was a way to use existing DVD's or blue-ray's. I assume movies will have to be created from scratch with this technology in mind.

If you mean just the tracking to give anybody a 3D (as in stereoscopic) view as shown in the first video then nothing has to be done to the movies, it's just the screen's way of giving you 3D without the glasses, it should work with any 3D movie (or any other 3D content like games) currently available. (But you would need a 3DTV with that special Microsoft screen.) If you're talking about the other stuff that's shown in both the first and second videos then that's just for games. Well, they might be able to make movies like that (especially CG movies like Toy Story or Shrek) but not only would it require vast amounts of storage (well over what's possible with Blu-Ray let alone DVD as I'm sure it would require terabytes rather than gigabytes) but Kinect would have to sell at least tens of millions for any film company to see the idea as being viable. (Then again, Kinect selling tens of millions is possible, at least in a few years. Big Grin)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)