/ / v /

A Kinect MMO- Possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A Kinect MMO- Possible?
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
A Kinect MMO- Possible?
Create Online MMO’s and incorporate Kinect technology- I want to fight and interact with people over Live using technology in a seamless online virtual world. Likely such an experience is years away as I think Kinect can't quite handle Massive Multiplayer games. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Imagine a medieval fantasy world...

I want to see multiple enemies rushing at me on screen (all people using Kinect technology to control their avatars). I want to swing a virtual sword and hold a virtual shield. I’d like to shoot virtual arrows with my virtual bow (they do it with archery in Decca Sports Freedom, why not here?)

I’d like to crouch in a virtual bush and ambush another player. Stabbing him with my virtual spear. Heck, casting spells could be done easily with gestures and voice commands. Imagine the workout one could get from such an experience....

Instead of the gym, you could tell your friends... "Think I'm going to raid the badlands with my clan today." 30 minutes of swinging your sword, blocking and dodging attacks with your body could keep you in very good shape.

No... I don't play Wow, but if a game came along on XBox that was similar and controlled by Kinect, I would snatch that game up in a heartbeat. So long as I could fight other people in ways I described above, I'd even pay a monthly subscription in addition to the Live service.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
RE: A Kinect MMO- Possible?
I think the technology and programming is there, but I don't know if the people are...I know people who play WoW for many many hours a day...the problem with kinect is you can really only stand on your feet on average about 6-8 hours before really hurting...

I think the average WoW players play for is like 12-16 hours (the hardcore ones) so I can't imagine them wanting to play that long...I could be wrong though.

[Image: TheZeeMan]
11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
(11-15-2010 09:00 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  I think the technology and programming is there, but I don't know if the people are...I know people who play WoW for many many hours a day...the problem with kinect is you can really only stand on your feet on average about 6-8 hours before really hurting...

I think the average WoW players play for is like 12-16 hours (the hardcore ones) so I can't imagine them wanting to play that long...I could be wrong though.

Lol... 12-16 hours... Do these people have jobs? I generally game maybe a few (3 hours) at most. I imagine 45 minutes of what I describe above could become rather tiring if a person was very intense with their moves. I have played MMO's in the past and know what the experience is like but thankfully I haven't been sucked in by Wow.

Like all things new, the body would need to adapt. People would need to play at their own pace and eventually their body's would adapt (hopefully for the better), losing weight, gaining stamina etc...

I don't know how traveling would work... side to side is one thing but actual forward and backwards movement on kinect needs to be figured out. Maybe leaning? Or maybe you would still need some sort of controller for that?
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
(11-15-2010 09:17 PM)Nick Wrote:  Lol... 12-16 hours... Do these people have jobs? I generally game maybe a few (3 hours) at most. I imagine 45 minutes of what I describe above could become rather tiring if a person was very intense with their moves. I have played MMO's in the past and know what the experience is like but thankfully I haven't been sucked in by Wow.

Unfortunately the guys I know that play don't. This is what I'm figuring as to how these people are so good on games like Call of Duty and Halo, etc as well...they just play non-stop. I know when I was going through my gaming disease and was also jobless...I would play for about 12 hours on average, some days I would even play past the 24 hour mark. It depends how deep you get into it.

(11-15-2010 09:17 PM)Nick Wrote:  Like all things new, the body would need to adapt. People would need to play at their own pace and eventually their body's would adapt (hopefully for the better), losing weight, gaining stamina etc...

True, I would just try it...I never got into MMO's and what's wierd is I rarely play games online. When I do, I usually don't use a mic so I don't have to talk to people LOL I know its wierd.

(11-15-2010 09:17 PM)Nick Wrote:  I don't know how traveling would work... side to side is one thing but actual forward and backwards movement on kinect needs to be figured out. Maybe leaning? Or maybe you would still need some sort of controller for that?

I got all kinds of ideas for this. But it would depend on the game. Basically any kinect game where you have to walk/run is going to have to come out with some kind specific game controller. Like for example, in your MMO fantasy game. Possibly provide a plastic sword. On this sword are your necessary dpad and buttons. A FPS would have a gun. Hopefully I'm right about Star Wars, but have it come with a lightsaber handle with the controls. Sports are probably going to be the only ones that will stick to a standard controller if needed, because I can't really see you holding a football for example, then pressing up/down/left/right on it and then trying to throw it, but more realistically, sports will probably follow how the kinect sports soccer game is played. Even though you aren't running, it's still fun.

11-15-2010, 11:57 PM
It would be a thing of beauty if someone could figure out how to incorporate forward/backward movement in a 3D gaming environment without a controller on Kinect. They must make it intuitive and natural. I have no doubt some of the studios are experimenting with this right now. Hopefully someone figures it out.
11-16-2010, 12:07 AM
(11-15-2010 11:57 PM)Nick Wrote:  It would be a thing of beauty if someone could figure out how to incorporate forward/backward movement in a 3D gaming environment without a controller on Kinect. They must make it intuitive and natural. I have no doubt some of the studios are experimenting with this right now. Hopefully someone figures it out.

Yes indeed, that would be groundbreaking if they figure that out too Smile. Running in place is OK, but not for a MMO I guess Tongue

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Give it to the right developer easily possible, problem is right now where kinect is designed for casual players you will most likely never see a mmo, we dont even have one for xbox outside of psu and ffxi

[Image: Terrin.png]
11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
(11-16-2010 04:01 AM)Terrin Wrote:  Give it to the right developer easily possible, problem is right now where kinect is designed for casual players you will most likely never see a mmo, we dont even have one for xbox outside of psu and ffxi

Kingdoms Under Fire 2 coming in 2011. Also Turbine is rumored to be working on a MMO for Xbox. News forthcoming in 2011

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55782

But yes.. My new dream is to have a hardcore MMO on Xbox Kinect.
11-16-2010, 06:55 AM
kingdun under fire is ajust a rpg with online multiplayer unless they changed it *same as the first was* and there have been a few rumored ones like ff14, but my dream is a game like oblviion where I can voice interact *thats the only kinect feature I want* with characters without a speech tree just say what I want, I know that its not possible as they wouldn't reconginze what you were saying but that would be awesome

[Image: Terrin.png]
11-17-2010, 03:39 AM
With regard to Kingdom Under Fire 2, its supposed to be a MMO but maybe they have changed it recently? I hope not. The main site still has it listed as a feature.

http://www.kufii.com/ENG/

Features:
A true Action RTS inheritor of the world acclaimed Kingdom Under Fire series, which continues a saga of Bersian heroes on Kingdom Under Fire universe.

Multiplayer Online game where thousands of gamers can co-play and write their own epic poetry of war.

Much empowered real-time strategy game system with highly intense action and intuitive control while succeeding all the great merits of previous versions.

Unprecedentedly massive scale of castle siege mode

Deeper and richer campaign mode than that of "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders"
Competition and War among 3 factions over the domination of Bersia continent; Human Alliance, Dark Legion and a new mystery force.
11-20-2010, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2010 05:18 PM by Nick.)
It looks like Hudson soft has figured out a way to control player movement within a 3D gaming environment using Kinect for Deca Sports Paintball. It would be very cool to see this idea replicated and fine-tuned.

The Zeeman's review on Deca Sports explains.
https://123kinect.com/kinect-forums/thread-399.html
12-01-2010, 05:17 AM
i would play kinect mmo for 12-16 hours for the loots Big Grin

" I don't know how traveling would work... side to side is one thing but actual forward and backwards movement on kinect needs to be figured out. Maybe leaning? Or maybe you would still need some sort of controller for that? "
in a discussion on another forum, people have been thinking of a nunchuck type control for these little things, i think it could totally work.

"most likely never see a mmo, we dont even have one for xbox outside of psu and ffxi "
well games like dragon age are nearly there, they just need the multiplayer part.

its totally possible
12-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Na Microsoft won't pollute the xbox with all the extra crap to play, they are all about "you being the controller" so more than likely someone will build on hudson softs idea.

12-02-2010, 04:00 AM
All that needs to happen now for a Kinect MMO to become a reality for me is to have someone in the open-source community release a gesture/voice mapping system where I could map actions to specific key-bindings that control in-game actions. They already do it with the 360 controller for windows (see xpadder.com). Time to see this done on Kinect!

Of course I would love to see a Kinect MMO built from the ground up with Kinect tech in mind but that is years off or likely never to happen.
12-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Carl Kenner who made glovepie is apparently working on an open-kinect gesture mapping system that can be used to play pc games. I found a few posts on google and the open-kinect google group. I HOPE this is true.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)