We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

A way to mount your Kinect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-24-2011, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2011 01:41 AM by wazza.)
So I was looking for ways to put my Kinect sensor on top of my TV, there'd be no way in hell I'd pay $40 for the "Official mount TV". I came across this video, and thought it was a clever idea.

I've ordered myself a gorillapod which arrived yesterday and I'm using it now. It's very stable. The Kinect base will be standing on top of the gorillapod and it has a very good grip.

Ever since I've mounted the Kinect, everything is better. Less space is needed. It just works better overall.

[Credit To]: FisherKingNigel
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2011, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2011 02:49 AM by dirtyvu.)
RE: A way to mount your Kinect
(03-24-2011 01:34 AM)wazza Wrote:  So I was looking for ways to put my Kinect sensor on top of my TV, there'd be no way in hell I'd pay $40 for the "Official mount TV". I came across this video, and thought it was a clever idea.

I've ordered myself a gorillapod which arrived yesterday and I'm using it now. It's very stable. The Kinect base will be standing on top of the gorillapod and it has a very good grip.

Ever since I've mounted the Kinect, everything is better. Less space is needed. It just works better overall.

I love Gorillapod. I used the small one for the tiny cameras and the medium size one for my handheld. It's the best portable tripod you can have (though it can't totally replace a full size tripod).

I know it would look kind of ghetto, but your bezel top seems wide enough for you to use double sided tape to stick the kinect upon. My TV has the same sized top and that's how I stuck the Kinect up there.

Also, do you tape the Kinect onto the Gorillapod legs? I'd worry about the Kinect falling.
Find all posts by this user
03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Information RE: A way to mount your Kinect
If you're in the UK you can get this Kinect mount that's a lot cheaper than the offical one (I don't know if it's available in other countries too but it probably is):

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/183...oduct.html
03-24-2011, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2011 12:39 PM by meistroracer.)
(03-24-2011 01:34 AM)wazza Wrote:  So I was looking for ways to put my Kinect sensor on top of my TV, there'd be no way in hell I'd pay $40 for the "Official mount TV". I came across this video, and thought it was a clever idea.

Which gorillapod did you get? The cheap one for $19.??. If this is the one, I have to ask like the others, how stable is it. I have clear packing tape that's taping down my Kinect on top of my TV. Actually, working pretty darn good too. Smile

After watching and listening to the video, the only problem I see...even though the Kinect is just sitting on top of the legs. I see a potential problem. If some one or some thing bumps the TV or you go an move the TV forgetting that the Kinect isn't tapped down. It will slide right off. Right?

And thanks for open another door to another options and ideas.

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2011 11:11 AM by wazza.)
Sorry for getting back late people.

I bought the GorillaPod similar to video that of above. Please note that the video wasn't mine. Smile

The Kinect sits nicely on top, so it does not have anything sticky underneath like a tape. Just the grippy GorillaPod surface. I totally understand the danger this posses, but my set up is located in the bedroom so I'm the only one who uses it. Still understand the concern though, but I'm fine with it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the idea. Smile

03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
me personally, I use double-sided poster tape to mount it to the top of my 65" Toshiba.

but I saw this on another forum. really really cheap at $9. looks good... It's hilarious how they have in the description, "decent design". what a way to sell the product...

http://www.tomtop.com/tv-mount-clip-for-...ensor.html

[Image: nnuqh5.jpg]

TV Mount Clip for Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor

Features:
Unique design for all Xbox lovers and users.
Supports the Kinect Camera on TV.
Simple operation: mount your sensor within one minute.
Keeps your Kinect Sensor safe.
Decent design.
Lightweight and space-saving.
Kinect Sensor is not included.

Specifications:
Designed for: Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor
Material: ABS
Color: Black
Item weight: 117g
Package weight: 172g

Package Contents:
4 x Parts for Mounting (as shown in the pictures)
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 04:05 PM by MakerKata.)
Thumbs Up RE: A way to mount your Kinect
wazza, I like your thinking! When I saw your approach, the only thing that scared me was that the Kinect looks like it can easily fall off. It would be interesting to make a camera mount-compatible stand that holds the Kinect securely. I will put that on the list of things to work on, and will open-source the design. I think it would help out GorillaPod/Kinect owners a bunch.

I came across this post because I'm also trying to sell my own Kinect mount design. I was really disappointed when I first bought mine, in that there weren't any options for mounting other than the officially-expensive-impossible-to-install-official product. I came up with something that is extremely robust and easy to assemble. Making it adjustable for all kinds of TVs was a bit of a challenge, but I think my design handles that issue for most flat screen TVs.

[Image: il_fullxfull.234596074.jpg]

Basically, my product (which I call KantanKinect) is made out of 5 pieces of laser-cut wood. There is a platform that restricts movement of the Kinect base, while preserving the tilting range of motion of the sensor. There are two arms that hook over the front of the TV, as well as have scored sections in the back so you can snap off pieces to make the arm fit on your particular TV.

I've initially priced the product at $9.99, which puts it at about 20% of the price of the official mount, and just a little above most DIY solutions. I think the convenient and stability of the mount make it very attractive. I am also hoping to get the price even lower by removing the ornate framing around the parts, and just shipping the bare pieces.

I'd appreciate any feedback the members here on 123kinect.com have, good or bad. The KantanKinect is available at my Etsy store: http://etsy.me/ezLgvk. I only have one available right now, but I'm going to be making more very soon.
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks MakerKata. You seem like a creative person, if you could improve the gorillapod concept then by all means do so, Tongue

Your product looks very secure, someone should get it and make a review! I imagine it takes a lot of effort to complete one product, about how long do you think you take to finish one?

04-13-2011, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 10:57 AM by meistroracer.)
(03-29-2011 11:10 AM)wazza Wrote:  Sorry for getting back late people.

I bought the GorillaPod similar to video that of above. Please note that the video wasn't mine. Smile

The Kinect sits nicely on top, so it does not have anything sticky underneath like a tape. Just the grippy GorillaPod surface. I totally understand the danger this posses, but my set up is located in the bedroom so I'm the only one who uses it. Still understand the concern though, but I'm fine with it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the idea. Smile

Wazza - I have a solution erh a suggestion to that problem. Go to HomeDepot and get velcro strips. Use the strips to wrap around the GorillaPod and the base of the kinect. This should hold it in place, but since it's just you. Well...no problem. Smile

@MakerKata - Nice design, but is it adjustable? Meaning the legs on the back would they slide forward and backwards? But for $9.00. Are you in the US or Europe?

Well, it does help to click on your link and will tell me where you are. LOL That is some really cool device. I am seriously thinking of purchasing this.

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
meistroracer - thanks for the solution (ah suggestion Smile) I will consider that in the future. but the thing is, the Kinect moves back and forth from the bedroom to the lounge (when friends and relatives visits) so I rather not have a permanent solution. Cheers for your I put though, much appeciated.

04-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks, wazza. When I get a chance I'll take a stab at the gorillapod accessory. I will post links to the design here -- but do you have access to a 3D printer? I would likely also add the part to my etsy store in case people want to purchase one for a really reasonable price.

My mount is really solid, and the assembly is a little time consuming. For $9, it's a bit of a questionable way to present the product, so I'm planning on coming out with another version at my etsy store that doesn't have all of that framing (which is also a bit of a waste of wood) for a cheaper price. It's a bit of a win-win, I think. People can buy the mount from me for less money because my cost and time goes down, plus the cost of shipping likely goes down (I still need to recalculate that). It's a win for me because I don't have to spend as much time gluing pieces together.

@meistoracer - My approach to this design was to keep it simple, and my solution to the adjustability problem involves "breaking" the arms. I had concluded that when you set up a Kinect sensor, it's for your own use, so once you have it working on your TV, you aren't going to necessarily need it to work on a bunch of other TVs. So what you do is put the arms over your TV and see how it fits. Most likely it won't because the lower portion of the arms are made long on purpose. What you then do is snap off the wood on the score lines, until the mount sits level on top of the TV.

It is still possible that some flat panel TVs are too thick or too thin for my mount. In such situations, I've tried to make it clear to the buyer that I'm 100% OK with making a custom size for their TV. The advantage here is that I'll be able to use those measurements for future orders, and over time will be able to get the perfect size out to a customer. Oh, and BTW I am in the US.

I appreciate the feedback, guys. Please do check back at my store, and I hope that some of you will give my mount a try and pass the word along. I've been using this design since about a week after the Kinect was released, and it's fantastic. My TV is a Samsung LED and crazy thin, so my mount is slightly different than the one at my etsy store.

(04-11-2011 11:28 AM)wazza Wrote:  Thanks MakerKata. You seem like a creative person, if you could improve the gorillapod concept then by all means do so, Tongue

Your product looks very secure, someone should get it and make a review! I imagine it takes a lot of effort to complete one product, about how long do you think you take to finish one?
04-14-2011, 06:07 AM
MakerKata - I think I may, I think a friend has one, not completely sure on that though. Please post back if you have updates on the concept Big Grin

04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
(04-14-2011 06:07 AM)wazza Wrote:  MakerKata - I think I may, I think a friend has one, not completely sure on that though. Please post back if you have updates on the concept Big Grin

I've been a bit busy lately, but did get a slightly revised product concept up on my etsy store: http://etsy.me/emg5qJ.

I changed the wood from baltic birch to lauan to cut down the overall cost. I also am not offering the wood surrounds, because that adds labor cost, time, and shipping cost. I haven't worked out the exact shipping cost, but for now I am making 10 of these available for $9 shipped. I think that price justifies going with a manufactured product instead of dealing with tinkering together something out of foam or cardboard.

wazza, I haven't forgotten about the gorillapod solution! Smile
05-04-2011, 07:32 AM
what is the best way to mount your kinect
hi ive just baught the kinect wall mount but i dont know where i should put it because my tv is on the walland when i stand up the bottom of the tv is in eye level with me and i was just wondering wether i should set the kinect on top of the tv or below. p.s does the kinect have to be invew of the middle of your boddy.
05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Information RE: what is the best way to mount your kinect
(05-04-2011 07:32 AM)elliott Wrote:  hi ive just baught the kinect wall mount but i dont know where i should put it because my tv is on the walland when i stand up the bottom of the tv is in eye level with me and i was just wondering wether i should set the kinect on top of the tv or below. p.s does the kinect have to be invew of the middle of your boddy.

You should put it below the TV because if the bottom of the TV is at your eye level then putting it on top of the TV would be way too high. Do you mean does Kinect need to be in line with the (top or bottom) middle of the TV and your body in line with Kinect? If so then yes, it's best to have Kinect centred with the TV and your body centred with Kinect unless you're playing 2 player in which case it's best to have the space between the 2 players in line with Kinect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kinect is sleek and looks good, especially on a mount ProjectNatalFan 4 2,521 02-21-2011 12:35 PM
Last Post: meistroracer
  Kinect wall mount spitfirex007 27 10,027 01-03-2011 06:57 PM
Last Post: ambushbug