/ / v /

Add Kinect functionality to Augmented Reality glasses

Poll: Want this too?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2011, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011 08:06 AM by Alex.)
I would like to see the Kinect features added to the functionality of something like Vuzix's AR 940+ augmented reality glasses. But I would also like these to be wireless or mobile enabled so all the processing could be done on the server side like Onlive does it. Let it make use of the kind of natural language processing that was demonstrated with IBM's Watson or of course Goog411 or even Wolfram Alpha. A wireless tethering to a cell phone might make the unit less expensive and lighter.

This set up gives one very good access to the finger tips for control or manipulation. It also gives a good sense of where one's body is. More precision could be had with anklet or bracelet sensors. Even more with a detachable camera or eye tracking. These other elements probably don't add much. I suggested elsewhere and the response came back to forget glasses that University of Washington people were building such function functionality into contact lenses.

This could probably be produced, save for the Prime sense type components with a subset of the pieces in a phone like the iPhone .

I could see sports players wearing these. We've seen elements of this kind of display interface theme in movies like Dark Knight and Terminator and its kind of assumed by the "augmented reality" label. Its not longer exotic as our phones are involved with this when Google and Tom Tom (in the EU) do servers side GPS with real time rerouting. Also when phones read bar codes its AR and its surely AR with the 3Ds and its 3d cameras. There is also something nice here because glasses have been an extension of our senses for a while and are socially acceptable and even if people see you talking to your self sans phone they assume a blue tooth ear piece.

Incidentally in terms of immersion having a dedicated screen for each eye and ear buds provides matchless 3D as does the 2 cameras already in a 940.

I've attached a poll to this because I want to see it get made. My other favorite configuration uses a Kinect pointed at someone using a Wiimote and nunchuck and wearing VR goggles. Of course this is being done already in Japan. It would be great if the same group would work with it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2011, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011 06:07 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Thumbs Up RE: Add Kinect functionality to Augmented Reality glasses
Augmented reality glasses sound great, especially when combined with Kinect. That would be like a way to "cheat" interactive holograms since you wouldn't need holographic projection as the glasses would give you the illusion that the graphics are in front and around you in real life! Big Grin(As opposed to regular VR where you're "in" a CG world that can only look as good as the system is capable of rendering it, or current AR where either you're looking at video of you on a screen like in webcam games or you're using a small screen like a phone to see the AR in front of you.)
03-11-2011, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2011 04:23 AM by Alex.)
RE: Add Kinect functionality to Augmented Reality glasses
(03-07-2011 06:03 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Augmented reality glasses sound great, especially when combined with Kinect. That would be like a way to "cheat" interactive holograms since you wouldn't need holographic projection as the glasses would give you the illusion that the graphics are in front and around you in real life! Big Grin(As opposed to regular VR where you're "in" a CG world that can only look as good as the system is capable of rendering it, or current AR where either you're looking at video of you on a screen like in webcam games or you're using a small screen like a phone to see the AR in front of you.)

Agreed so lets pied piper this into existence. Lets call it CLOUD GLASSES or some such thing.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)