We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Are Professional Critics Boycotting Kinect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Try looking up reviews for Blackwater, Motionsports: Adrenalin, Big League Sports, Cabalas Adventure Camp, PowerUp Heroes, etc...they are few and far between to say the least.

Even reviews for Kinect's most popular games like KS2 are in much shorter supply then the amount of reviews for a typical game release.

What's going on here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2011, 11:34 PM
RE: Are Professional Critics Boycotting Kinect?
Actually I was debating with a "pro" reviewer a couple weeks back, not sure what site/mag he worked for. He said that his editor said they aren't to review Kinect games anymore, only ones that make a real buzz, probably like Disneyland/Halo/Ghost Recon/ME3, etc...so it seems to me they are.

[Image: thezeeman.png]
11-15-2011, 11:41 PM
(11-15-2011 11:34 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Actually I was debating with a "pro" reviewer a couple weeks back, not sure what site/mag he worked for. He said that his editor said they aren't to review Kinect games anymore, only ones that make a real buzz, probably like Disneyland/Halo/Ghost Recon/ME3, etc...so it seems to me they are.

You're one of the small few we depend on ZeeMan.
11-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, I noticed this too. It probably has to do with the crazy amount of games releasing this winter. It's too bad Kinect games are among the first to be dropped though, but indeed underlines the importance of TheZeeman in all this (and Istran is taking care of a couple of reviews as well).

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2011, 12:09 AM
the problem is a lot of these "professionals" don't want to do kinect games. so that affects everything. they don't set up the kinect properly. they don't read the instructions. they don't spend time to learn the nuances of controls. they don't follow gaming mechanics established by the game. etc. etc. you read a review of skyrim and the reviewer says he spent 100 hours playing it while writing his review. has any reviewer spent 100 hours playing a kinect game? you'd be lucky if they spent 2 hours.

no one complains when sometimes you hold down the A button in Gears of War and he doesn't start running (it must be the person's fault), but people blame the kinect when they think the kinect is judging them wrong on their dance moves (when you show them a video of how they were dancing compared to how the move is supposed to be done, they get sheepish).

lots of great places to get reviews. sites like 123kinect, youtube, etc. kinectaddict on youtube shows you actual gameplay vids with him in the video for you to judge.

plus, as Clemens alluded to, a lot of games aren't being reviewed because it's the holiday season and there are way too many games being released at the same time. it takes a long time to do a proper game review and reviewers are spread thin so they'll spend the most time in the games they want to play. that's why game releases should be spread over the year but every publisher wants their game out in time for Christmas shopping.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
11-16-2011, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2011 12:26 AM by TheZeeMan.)
Although you are 100% correct dirty, I just want add these crap developers aren't helping the mix either, could you imagine gears of war, since you mentioned it Tonguebut being only like 3-5 levels? People would be outrageous, no one complains that the kinect games are so much shorter (besides us) in comparison or not as in-depth, but that could be tagged with the whole casual thing, it's just annoying, I want to be able to play Kinect games for months and not working out and not dancing, Gunstringer was good, but still not as in-depth. I was really hoping RoN would have been longer or powerup heroes, etc. like where you are really immersed into the game.

I can only imagine the first kinect title that is actually in-depth as Gears, CoD, Battlefield, etc. and has like a movie like story/campaign mode to it and is immersive, every single pro reviewer is going to say, get on the bandwagon, you have to have kinect, blah blah, and the devs are running out of time if they don't produce something to that caliber, just my thoughts, I'm rambling Tongue

11-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Maybe it's a good thing, I prefer few good reviews (I mean well done) than a lot of bad ones (rushed because they MUST do it). Like Z said, there was a lot of shovelware lately, so that doesn't help. I hope DEVs will realise that xbox is not the Wii...

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
11-16-2011, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2011 01:25 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Are Professional Critics Boycotting Kinect?
(11-16-2011 12:25 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Although you are 100% correct dirty, I just want add these crap developers aren't helping the mix either, could you imagine gears of war, since you mentioned it Tonguebut being only like 3-5 levels? People would be outrageous, no one complains that the kinect games are so much shorter (besides us) in comparison or not as in-depth, but that could be tagged with the whole casual thing, it's just annoying, I want to be able to play Kinect games for months and not working out and not dancing, Gunstringer was good, but still not as in-depth. I was really hoping RoN would have been longer or powerup heroes, etc. like where you are really immersed into the game.

I can only imagine the first kinect title that is actually in-depth as Gears, CoD, Battlefield, etc. and has like a movie like story/campaign mode to it and is immersive, every single pro reviewer is going to say, get on the bandwagon, you have to have kinect, blah blah, and the devs are running out of time if they don't produce something to that caliber, just my thoughts, I'm rambling Tongue

Kinect Disneyland Adventures sounds like it's the longest Kinect game so far. Here's an excerpt from the 1st review:

Quote:LONGEVITY: For a title that appears as a casual title, there is a lot of content on offer here. To put it into context, after approximately seven hours of gameplay, I had only completed ten percent of the game and that was taking the game at a mediocre pace, taking the time to search out secret items and simply to explore. With all of the different magical objects and their associated secrets, all of the photo opportunities, autograph books and pin badge collections, there are loads of side-quests to complete and uncover, long after the main character-based objectives have been completed. In the fifteen or so different attractions, each one can be completed at different levels, from bronze to platinum, depending on how many secrets you discover and how many points you score. Trying to platinum all of the rides will take quite some time as will learning of the levels. Add to that the list of achievements linked to the title, and this is a massive title.

Overall they gave it 9 out of 10! Big Grin
11-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Hmm that's good news at least...is there a story to it or is it just an open world and do you your own thing like the way fable works?

11-16-2011, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2011 02:21 AM by Corellianrogue.)
(11-16-2011 01:35 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm that's good news at least...is there a story to it or is it just an open world and do you your own thing like the way fable works?

According to the reviews it's just an open world with some quests. It's basically a mini-game theme park. Like Carnival Games I suppose but bigger and you walk around the park and there are things to do in the park itself, not just the "rides".
I was just reading the whole Kinect Disneyland Adventures review again and realised I missed half of the "longevity" section when I quoted it because it was split in half by a screenshot. Doh! Here's the second half:

Quote:Another interesting thing to note was that the game supports QR code scanning. So far, the development team haven’t announced what this will entail, or what is on offer when a code has been scanned, but this could point to secret items or add-ons becoming available. This leads me to the idea that some of the Disneyland attractions that are not rideable in the game, may well be released as DLC further down the line. The actual ride structures have been placed in the park and can be seen when you walk around, so it is not beyond imagintion that they might be implemented later on – which would only further add to the lifespan of the game.
11-16-2011, 02:50 AM
(11-16-2011 01:35 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm that's good news at least...is there a story to it or is it just an open world and do you your own thing like the way fable works?

if you watch the G4 videos, they'll explain it. it's open world but there are your primary quests and your secondary. kind of like Grand Theft Auto. My friend was telling me (he watched closer than me) like Goofy will say that something needs to be done in order to get something so you have to complete that quest.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
11-19-2011, 03:18 AM
yes they are lying about kinecct games

because they cannot review as many kinect games

they also lie about move games

funny part is that they have lost all the trust from ppl

i no longer read any review to buy a game

i just buy it after looking at videos

unless someone post the review here first

and sometimes i buy it anyway if i like it

sites like ign are all crap, they get money for what they say, ive found some good reviews for games that were low cheapo.
also is very fun that all consoles and pc is going into motion recognition so their bussiness model is destroyed they deserve it after not being honest