Xbox Kinect

/ / v /

Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?
11-10-2010, 12:53 AM
RE: Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?
(11-09-2010 11:14 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Yup you will be fine - you just have to manually adjust your tilt. You will want to get head to toe as much as possible...You'll see when you get it Smile

thanks zee man for the reasurance... appreciate it
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey everyone, I just measured the height of my Kinect and my distance. My Kinect is 4 feet and 1 inches above the ground, and I found out (when calibrating with Kinect Adventures) that it works between 4 feet and 8 feet. So I guess that yes it can work from less than 6 feet, but 6 feet to 8 feet is the best.

[Image: 5177851846_1e51259f42.jpg]
GT: SlammerD
11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
(11-10-2010 03:52 AM)Dre Wrote:  Hey everyone, I just measured the height of my Kinect and my distance. My Kinect is 4 feet and 1 inches above the ground, and I found out (when calibrating with Kinect Adventures) that it works between 4 feet and 8 feet. So I guess that yes it can work from less than 6 feet, but 6 feet to 8 feet is the best.
Nice Dre, thanks for measuring Big Grin!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
(11-10-2010 11:28 AM)Clemens Wrote:  
(11-10-2010 03:52 AM)Dre Wrote:  Hey everyone, I just measured the height of my Kinect and my distance. My Kinect is 4 feet and 1 inches above the ground, and I found out (when calibrating with Kinect Adventures) that it works between 4 feet and 8 feet. So I guess that yes it can work from less than 6 feet, but 6 feet to 8 feet is the best.
When I was at the Kinect Tour in Toronto, I was told the Minimum space is like 3 feet for one person, but definitely the further back you go, the better especially for 2 people.

[Image: rabidmaggot.png]
11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
(11-10-2010 02:41 PM)Rabidmaggot Wrote:  
(11-10-2010 11:28 AM)Clemens Wrote:  
When I was at the Kinect Tour in Toronto, I was told the Minimum space is like 3 feet for one person, but definitely the further back you go, the better especially for 2 people.

Hmm, well it may depend on how high you place the Kinect sensor.

[Image: 5177851846_1e51259f42.jpg]
GT: SlammerD
11-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Information RE: Can kinect work from less than 6 feet?
This is slightly off topic but I just wanted to let everybody know that Kinect definitely does work when you're sitting down. (For motion, not just voice.) At least for the Kinect Hub anyway, I haven't tried it in any games. (Although I don't know which of the ones I've got would work sitting down anyway. Possibly boxing and table tennis in Kinect Sports? Obviously you wouldn't be able to move around other than leaning left and right in those games though.)
11-12-2010, 02:13 AM
(11-12-2010 01:21 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  This is slightly off topic but I just wanted to let everybody know that Kinect definitely does work when you're sitting down. (For motion, not just voice.) At least for the Kinect Hub anyway, I haven't tried it in any games. (Although I don't know which of the ones I've got would work sitting down anyway. Possibly boxing and table tennis in Kinect Sports? Obviously you wouldn't be able to move around other than leaning left and right in those games though.)

I think it depends on how kinect sets up your play area. Like my sectional wraps around and the kinect sees it as the "safe zone". I have tried to lean off of it, but it didn't work on mine.

[Image: TheZeeMan]
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, sometimes my daughter gets within 5' and it still works.

[Image: UndgnfiedWrshpr.png]
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
11-30-2010, 06:38 AM
the answer is that it varies from game to game as well as the event in the game. for example, the 20000 leaks can have you standing closer than the other kinect adventure events. and you can keep playing even though it warns you to back up. i remember playing 20000 leaks and it was flashing my friend to back up but he didn't see the warning and kept playing and it wasn't a problem. it's not a hard limit though if you really do get too close some games will pause and tell you to back up. but the issue isn't whether it'll work closer or not. it's an issue of how well you can perform. the kinect will definitely work better and you will score higher if you're in the sweet spot. but if you just want to play, you can ignore the warnings and you'll probably get lower scores because occasionally it'll lose detection of an arm or leg or something. and note that the sweet spot varies from game to game. Where you optimally stand for Dance Central is not the same as where you optimally stand for Kinect Adventures (though it's not that far apart).

but for all intents and purposes, you should follow 6' as the minimum to get optimal results.

they did design the kinect for an american audience. it's been studied numerous times that the average viewing distance from the TV is 9 feet in the US. and with the advent of big screen HDTV, it's only getting farther. I have about 10-11 feet between my 65" TV and the couch.

taking kinect completely out of the equation, it's recommended for a 46" TV to be at least 6 feet away from the viewer. a 50" TV should have 6.5 feet distance. 7.8 feet distance is recommended for a 60" TV. a 70" TV should be at least 9.2 feet away. so by these standards, a Kinect would work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Will kinect work in my home: A Wierd Scenario Aspernatio 11 1,039 01-16-2011 11:13 PM
Last Post: watchmefly420
  Does Kinect work with Netflix yet? Casmi 8 1,603 12-17-2010 10:07 PM
Last Post: HazyCloud
  Video Kinect autozoom does't work- Any ideas? kf6noz 4 637 11-30-2010 05:24 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Would Kinect work like this? Stuart567 7 597 11-16-2010 03:31 AM
Last Post: Terrin
  How will Kinect work in terms of....... Leafs1201 54 2,614 11-14-2010 08:17 PM
Last Post: sande
  Will the voice controll work on DVD's and DivX played from HD? praise 9 1,164 11-10-2010 02:21 AM
Last Post: Clemens

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Order Kinect + Kinect Adventures here!