everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Connecting your Kinect to PC?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Has anyone connect their Kinect to their PC yet? If so, how is it? What I am getting at is the KineMote news on this forum.

Is anyone have tried the beta for free?

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 07:17 PM by Dre.)
RE: Connecting your Kinect to PC?
I have just tried it. And I was pretty impressed with it. However, the palm click & drag is not built into KineMote yet, so you have to push in (toward Kinect) and that makes it hard to actually click on things since every time I pushed in, the cursor moved :/. The developer says it will be built in with KineMote 0.5. It is very simple to install, so I would suggest that you should try it out as well Smile

[Image: 5177851846_1e51259f42.jpg]
GT: SlammerD Forum Rules
05-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the tip Dre....I will look into it. OH..do you just plug the Kinect in the USB port? I didn't receive that special attachment for USB connection.

05-02-2011, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 03:01 PM by Jersmall.)
when i got my kinect i got a extra cord. you should have recieved and extra wire that lets you plug into a USB port. I am assuming the xbox USB ports are slightly different then a PC beacause i havent acutally tried to plug it to a PC yet. I just have the add on cord.
05-02-2011, 03:04 PM
(05-02-2011 10:24 AM)meistroracer Wrote:  Thanks for the tip Dre....I will look into it. OH..do you just plug the Kinect in the USB port? I didn't receive that special attachment for USB connection.

Oh really? That is too bad, connecting via USB is the only way to connect Kinect to your computer. Are you sure you looked through your entire box? If it isn't there I'm sure you can buy it separately.

05-02-2011, 09:08 PM
(05-02-2011 10:24 AM)meistroracer Wrote:  Thanks for the tip Dre....I will look into it. OH..do you just plug the Kinect in the USB port? I didn't receive that special attachment for USB connection.

Hmm, you wouldn't have a USB cable if your Kinect came with the XBOX 360 Slim bundle. But if you bought the Kinect separately, you should get it.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I got the Xbox 360 Slim w/kinect bundle for Xmas.

05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
After a little reading I found this site http://www.kinect.dashhacks.com. There are a few other hacks for Kinect that people can try out. I found one hack that is similar to KineMote, but it is for Mac OS X. It says that it allows you to click by closing your palm, and even supports some of the Mac OS X features like Expose. I will let you know how it works when I give it a try.

Here's the link: http://kinect.dashhacks.com/kinect-guides/2011/03/12/guide-installing-kinect-jesture-mac-os-x

05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Well Dre, I do not have a Mac, but good luck on this. YOu know MS has something really big and special. I am very concern.

05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
(05-04-2011 05:31 PM)Dre Wrote:  After a little reading I found this site http://www.kinect.dashhacks.com. There are a few other hacks for Kinect that people can try out. I found one hack that is similar to KineMote, but it is for Mac OS X. It says that it allows you to click by closing your palm, and even supports some of the Mac OS X features like Expose. I will let you know how it works when I give it a try.

Here's the link: http://kinect.dashhacks.com/kinect-guides/2011/03/12/guide-installing-kinect-jesture-mac-os-x

Ok Dre, how's things working with Kinect on the Mac?

05-07-2011, 04:26 PM
(05-07-2011 04:20 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  
(05-04-2011 05:31 PM)Dre Wrote:  After a little reading I found this site http://www.kinect.dashhacks.com. There are a few other hacks for Kinect that people can try out. I found one hack that is similar to KineMote, but it is for Mac OS X. It says that it allows you to click by closing your palm, and even supports some of the Mac OS X features like Expose. I will let you know how it works when I give it a try.

Ok Dre, how's things working with Kinect on the Mac?

I actually haven't had much time to play around with it :\ I'm sorry, but I will definitely post here as soon as I get chance. Hopefully this Sunday.

05-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh...I understand. Don't worry about it? Take your time.

05-08-2011, 01:25 PM
If you got the Kinect with the slim then you will need to purchase the powerpack to use it on your PC. The port used on the Slim has a higher current than normal USB ports.
05-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Okay....What is the verdict on this? Anyone try it yet? I can't several reasons
  • My Pc is old
  • Old OS (Windows XP pro)
  • I don't have enough Usb ports.
  • I have Usb hubs but some usb exstentions doesn't work or my pc refuse to allow anymore.
  • Oh did I mention, my PC is old. I need to start rebuilding a new one or purchase a new one.

05-30-2011, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 05:55 AM by Dre.)
(05-18-2011 11:41 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  Okay....What is the verdict on this? Anyone try it yet? I can't several reasons
  • My Pc is old
  • Old OS (Windows XP pro)
  • I don't have enough Usb ports.
  • I have Usb hubs but some usb exstentions doesn't work or my pc refuse to allow anymore.
  • Oh did I mention, my PC is old. I need to start rebuilding a new one or purchase a new one.

So after almost an hour of messing around with the Kinect Mac application, I could barely get it to work UndecidedIt could track my hand just fine and even the expose gesture worked great, but the close-fist to click rarely worked at all. I will keep my eye out for any updates on this stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  connecting kinect to internet via a freebox xadax 2 440 06-23-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: xadax