everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Dance games for the Kinect

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I vote for the next dance game to be bellydance for the Kinect, I'm biased of course, but I think it would be a hit. If you get the right people involved, it could actually be a decent instructional for beginners. The smaller muscle isolations might be hard to capture, but some of the basics and larger movements could be covered. I've done hip isolations in Dance Central and made my Kinect avatar do snake arms in other games. I'm sure some other dance forms could be done too, and the details (such as venue, music, costumes, etc.) could tailored to each genre.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
RE: Dance games for the Kinect
Hmm...while I'm all gungho about more dance games being made (especially if they are good), I'm not so sure about this idea. (haha, I just realized I don't think I've ever used the term gungho before now.)

The problem is that you're targeting a fairly small niche of gamers.

There is already a big chunk of gamers who would never play a dance game, simply because they think it's too embarrassing or some other silly reason. Bellydancing basically axes the remaining guys. Who is left to buy the game?
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I actually think this is a decent idea. I've done bellydancing for awhile and making a game which covers more different styles (say, belly dancing, salsa, hip hop etc etc) could be fun AND educational. Nt to mention a decent workout. I personally prefer to burn my calories dancing rather than doing yoga or push-ups. As for the guys thing, I think most video games in general cater to the male public more than they do to the female, so this would also be a clever way to get your girlfriends, sisters and moms to use Kinect too!
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
BELLYDANCE! YES!
I AGREE! We need a niche for some female gamers! My sons & hubby play xbox, wii, kinect, etc. I just can't get into it!

FINALLY - my hubby is now into it with NFL Trainer (even though it's a wii game and doesn't register the pushups - he still likes it. He also plays the wii bowling game).

I would LOVE a KINECT Bellydance game. I know it would be a small market like the folks that buy Bellydance videos. They should get the ladies from NewYorkDance that produced "Luscious" series or those canadians from the fitTV show Shimmy. I'd prepurchase!Big Grin
01-03-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm all for variety, but I just don't see there being a big enough market to make a game that specific profitable, and let's face it that's what it's all about from a business standpoint. I think it would be more successful as download content or an add on for an already established dancing game like Dance Central.
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Wink RE: Dance games for the Kinect
I think it is a fantastic idea to make a game for say bellydancing, salsa, hiphop etc. I have tried to get into Shimmy, but the drawback about doing it to a tv show is no feedback. You just don't know if you are doing it right. Bellydancing is becoming and already is so popular, and it is an amazing art, but very hard to master. I think that it would be awesome to be able to have Kinect monitor your moves and let you know if you are doing it right. There are so few games out there that cater to women, most games are for the men. But this would finally be something that most women would really enjoy.
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
(01-13-2011 07:32 PM)dideroch Wrote:  There are so few games out there that cater to women, most games are for the men. But this would finally be something that most women would really enjoy.

I feel dance central for instance, 90% of the songs are women songs. I don't complain because for whatever reason, I can do chick moves pretty well, and I like to just dance in general, but I think any dance game women can appreciate as most of them will be for women as I think women make more music than men anyhow. Men just like to play instruments instead Tongue

[Image: TheZeeMan]
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Wink RE: Dance games for the Kinect
:)While that is true that women do like dancing maybe more than some guys do, that only gives us a couple games compared to the 100's of games geared towards men. Men could also get into the dancing games, but like my husband, they think they look silly and don't want to even give it a try. So if more women got into the dancing games, think of how much more money the gaming industries would make. Not only do they cater towards the male population, but the women would join in and they would make twice the money.... Isn't that what it is all about.Smile

(01-13-2011 07:44 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  
(01-13-2011 07:32 PM)dideroch Wrote:  There are so few games out there that cater to women, most games are for the men. But this would finally be something that most women would really enjoy.

I feel dance central for instance, 90% of the songs are women songs. I don't complain because for whatever reason, I can do chick moves pretty well, and I like to just dance in general, but I think any dance game women can appreciate as most of them will be for women as I think women make more music than men anyhow. Men just like to play instruments instead Tongue
01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
This is well said!

01-19-2011, 02:46 AM
(01-13-2011 09:39 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  This is well said!

You, on the other hand, don't mind looking silly on a random wedding TongueTongueTongue

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2011, 03:27 AM
LOL I know I'm a fool Tongue

01-26-2011, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 01:40 AM by TimeliestRuby6.)
Me personally, I would LOVE a belly dancing game. I have Shimmy seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and I LOVE them. They are a great workout.

I think there is a bigger audience for belly dancing than some people think. Sure guys may be too embarrassed to do it themselves (though there are some who may try) but there are a lot of women who love working out while feeling sexy.

Those who are shy about it, this something that can be done in the privacy of their own homes so it's not like they have to share their embarrassment with world. besides, while the there are men who will do the dancing games, the majority of those who do the dancing games are women to begin with. There are lots of games that cater to guys like someone else mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to have a game that strictly caters to women. (and any guy brave enough to try something new.)

So I think this would actually be a good sell. Not to mention, I have seen this as a suggestion on kinect forums as well as another gamer forum, and on a non-gamer forum where people were talking about kinect in the "anything goes" section. So people are talking about it which means there has to be some kind of a market.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  kinect using regular controllers to play hardcore games freneticmaximus 1 937 12-20-2010 05:30 PM
Last Post: squeakh
  Loading Screen Games BuckeyeNut4Life 5 958 12-06-2010 09:58 PM
Last Post: Numadonna