Xbox Kinect

/ / v /

DanceMasters - first impressions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
For dance fans, it's definitely worth a look. VERY different from Dance Central.

Really wide range of songs, choreography and difficulty. The routines aren't broken in 2 or 4 beat flashcards, so they are more fluid and real. Many are definitely pro level. I was half killing myself trying to imitate some of the movements, haha.

30 or so songs, but I think there are only 20 unlocked at the start. I have no idea how to unlock more songs. I hope I don't have to score perfects or else it's going to be a long time before I unlock anything.

I'm actually really surprised about the songs. I expected nonstop cheese jpop, but there is a pretty wide range of genres. Some of the songs are actually pretty decent.

I'm most surprised by just how different the gameplay feels compared to Dance Central. DC feels controlled and restrained. Every move (flashcard) is self-contained, so the moment you get a new one, it's like a fresh start. In comparison, DM feels like a nonstop hectic thing where I'm flailing around trying to meet every little target.

The MAJOR issue is a total lack of practice mode. Considering many of the songs and routines fly by at a hectic rate, learning the routines is really difficult. For the parts that elude you, you end up making up your own desperate moves that hopefully hits the targets.

I think I like DC better, but I'm sure there are people that will like DM better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2010, 01:23 AM
RE: DanceMasters - first impressions
Wow interesring writeup, thx for sharing! Interesring to see how you are comoaring this to DC!

Do you think you could provide all of us with a full fledged review in the customer reviews forum? Check the template in one of the sticky posts for more info.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.png]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-14-2010, 05:27 AM
I'll try to write one up once I get more experience with the game.

I feel like DM might have a lot of depth to the gameplay and I want to find it before judging it.
11-14-2010, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2010 06:25 AM by Robb25j.)
Well the game looks good but check out this dude @ E3 with dance masters skip to 4:02

Did you understand him i didnt i died laughing Well really i laughed at the youtube comments

Dont nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream
11-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Fervor, great! That's exactly what a good review needs Smile - experience. Looking forward to your write-up!

ps: Robb, lol the more I see the guy that actually designed the game, the more I have my doubts Sad
pps: Everyone, gameplay start around 5:30

Interesting feature he touts, about using your own routines in the background Big Grin

11-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Naoki is the producer!! Haha, he seems like he'd be really fun to work with. There are a bunch of songs with Naoki as the tag name...I'm gonna guess he wrote and/or performed on some songs too.

I know a lot of asian people and I gotta say that even for an asian guy, his accent is pretty unique.

I haven't played DM since the first day. I'm all focused on trying to 5 star hard mode in Dance Central...9 and counting. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to 5 star every song, though. Sad

DM is a great party game at easy mode, but to score well and not fail at higher levels, you can't half ass the game. You have to commit a good amount of time to memorize the targets and routines. So I'm gonna wait on playing DM for a bit. If I try to play both games at once, I'm going to just confuse myself, heh.
11-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Fervor, whow impressive: 9 already! You must be a pretty good dancer then, ey? Big Grin

I can see how you would confuse yourself playing both games at once indeed. Well, hope you nail DC soon Big Grin

11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Lucky for me, 5 starring a song in DC doesn't require perfection. I think a low 80% score is sufficient? I can totally flub the harder moves, as long as I flawless the easy ones.

Maybe once I 5 star, I'll try to gold star? Haha, unlikely. Gold starring a song means 96%+ or something. That's going to be extremely difficult for many of the hard mode songs. It's extremely hard just to gold star a song on easy mode, heh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DanceMasters TheZeeMan 4 114 01-19-2011 08:20 AM
Last Post: TheZeeMan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Order Kinect + Kinect Adventures here!