everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Distance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Distance
09-14-2011, 03:30 AM
Distance
I play by myself almost all the time. What is the best distance to be away from Kinect? I've heard around 6'0, is that about right? do different games vary?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Information RE: Distance
(09-14-2011 03:30 AM)Mrzocor Wrote:  I play by myself almost all the time. What is the best distance to be away from Kinect? I've heard around 6'0, is that about right? do different games vary?

I'd say 7ft. Although it does depend on the game, like Child Of Eden can be played much closer. I think the best way to think of it is that games that require full body tracking should be played about 7ft away if possible and other games can be played closer, probably depending on how much of the body they need to track, so if it's just tracking your hands you can probably stand quite close.
09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
RE: Distance
I find that somewhere between 7 and 9 feet is the most accurate for me.
09-15-2011, 05:08 PM
this thread should be in the kinect Q&A section. not the kinect games.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
09-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Fixed Tongue

[Image: thezeeman.png]
10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
My family room configured such that I have I think exactly 8 feet from the front of my tv (where my wii sensor is right now, and where the kinect would likely go) to the front of my couch. My questions are thus:

1.) my realistic play distance is probably 7 feet. Is that enough for 2 people?
2.) if I moved the kinect to the top of my TV would that make a difference? for reference, the proposes spot in front of the tv is about 3 feet high, the top of my tv is something like 5 and half or 5 feet 8 inches high.
3.) is the nyko zoom helpful at all?
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
(10-13-2011 07:26 PM)sean67854 Wrote:  My family room configured such that I have I think exactly 8 feet from the front of my tv (where my wii sensor is right now, and where the kinect would likely go) to the front of my couch. My questions are thus:

1.) my realistic play distance is probably 7 feet. Is that enough for 2 people?
2.) if I moved the kinect to the top of my TV would that make a difference? for reference, the proposes spot in front of the tv is about 3 feet high, the top of my tv is something like 5 and half or 5 feet 8 inches high.

1) 7 feet is good for some games and barely doable for others. it really depends on the game and how much the game expects you to move. for example, I'm standing maybe 4-5 feet for Fruit Ninja. But for Dance Central, I stand at 8 feet. But realize that these are optimal distances. If you stand at 6 feet for Kinect Adventures, you'll get the dialog box telling you to step back but most times, you can keep playing and not lose too many points for being too close. So if you're a scoring nut or are uber-competitive, losing points here or there for being too close won't affect you.

2) kinect at the top of the TV tends to let you be closer to the TV. this is because the kinect needs to see your whole body and the floor. so when the kinect is high, it's looking downward and already seeing the floor so it's merely a matter of looking for the rest of your body. whereas with the kinect low, it's looking upward but it can't look too far upward or else it can't see the floor.

3) i don't have the zoom so I shouldn't be making comments on it. from my understanding, it's very hit and miss and not worth the effort.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
10-13-2011, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2011 09:34 PM by Jersmall.)
(10-13-2011 07:26 PM)sean67854 Wrote:  1.) my realistic play distance is probably 7 feet. Is that enough for 2 people?

1.) yes if its good for 1 players its good for 2. the biggest factor for 2 players is the width.

2.) The kinect cant bend back very much compared to its forwad bend. Most games require to see our WHOLE body, feet to head. it literaly puts you in a 3D cube you need to stand in so the best placement is having it looking down at you, like a spot light. ive had my sensor too low in kinect boxing, if i tried to do head shots my arms were out of frame and it didnt see my strike.

I Would strongly recommend putting it on the TV for perfect game play. MY tv is on a tall desk 5ft so its perfect having it infront of the TV for me.

3.) unless you have a small TV and need to be closer to it to acutally see, you really dont need it. IT works perfectly already its just a matter of being in that invisble 3D cube.
11-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Here are three tips that can make Kinect more usable in a small space:

1. Mount the Kinect sensor in a higher place, e.g. above the TV
  2. Find a sweet spot where Kinect tracks you well and mark it
  3. Use the Nyko Zoom Kinect add-on which reduces the play area needed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post