We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

EA Sports Active 2 Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-17-2010, 02:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 08:37 PM by Clemens.)
EA Sports Active 2

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5bw4wJYX_rS815MY5XlM...snMGU1sH4A]
  • Official site www.easportsactive.com
  • Developer: EA Vancouver
  • Genre: Fitness
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Players: 2
  • Xbox Live supported?: Yes
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Teen - Adult

EA Sports Active 2 - The good
  • I really like how it sets up the workout programs from warmup, active to cooldown
  • Very nice variety of different things to excercise to
  • Interesting to see your heart rate, is it necessary no, but it is cool
  • Tutorials are very well explained and shown

EA Sports Active 2 - The not so good
  • It takes awhile to setup your initial player from very detailed character customization to all of the setup instructions
  • Price is $99.99 which like I stated, a heartbeat monitor which really isn't needed, but they make it mandatory, they also include batteries for the monitor and a very cheap resistance band. It almost forces you to get the better ones they sell separately.
  • If you don't have adequate room and proper lighting, you are going to have some detection issues with the floor excercises

EA Sports Active 2 - Story
No story mode, but it does have 2 programs with additional programs to download. The 2 to start with are either a 3 week cardio program or a full blown 9 week program. It schedules what days to work out for you and you can adjust your workout schedule based on your real life schedule. Pretty cool to me Smile

EA Sports Active 2 - Kinect experience
Kinect works very well with this game, except in my case, I didn't have a large enough play area and the lighting kept having issues when I was doing the floor excercises. Having the heart monitor on is awkward but I think it's because I'm used to no addons with kinect.

EA Sports Active 2 - Graphics
Graphics are good, nothing superb, but just like any other EA Sports game.

EA Sports Active 2 - Gameplay
It's not really a game, so there isn't much game elementals to it. You either do the excercises right or it doesn't let you progress. There are some non-regular excercise routines, I was only able to experience mountain biking which is interesting, dodgeball which is just like the volleyball dodging game in Kinect Sports, and a cardio boxing which was a tad buggy, but again, it was requiring me to crouch and jab and it kept missing the hit, so I'm going to blame my setup/lighting on that one. There was also a regular sprint race which was cool but not even close to being realistic, you can jog and it looks like you are running 50mph. This was what was part of my program, you can also select individual excercises as well, but I was pretty exhausted so I didn't do anything else.

Game Name - Multiplayer options
This is the only excercise game that allows simultaneous 2 player excercising together, however you have to purchase another heartbeat monitor and EA has not made them available yet.

Conclusion
It's a completely different experience from Your Shape. I really liked how you didn't do normal excercising routines such as lunges and squats, instead of doing regular lunges and squats, it throws in the resistance bands and you actually feel like you are working out, not just stretching your muscles.

The bad thing is, the resistance band they give is just a piece of green rubber, and you have to knot it yourself. It seems like its going to break very easily. I picked up the heavy duty resistance bands 3 pack which are way better. I would of given it an 8, but because they are at least packing in a cheap resistance band instead of nothing, they get one more point. To me using a resistance band is so much better than using nothing at all.

Screenshots
Not really a screenshot, but rather show you what you get.

[Image: easa2.jpg]

More EA Sports Active 2.0
[order game here] [Online Possibilities (Compared)] [Accessories] [news] [trailer] [gameplay] [screenshots] [achievements]

[Image: thezeeman.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
RE: [EA Sports Active 2] Review: I think it's a tie! [9/10]
Nice review my wife already bugging me to buy it

Dont nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream
11-17-2010, 07:04 AM
LOL I'm good like that Tongue

11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow great review TheZeeman, however, the mark: 9/10... it seems to me that you have a lot of 'well this is not perfect, and this is not perfect'.

In my view, the stuff you get extra is what you pay for too, so I don't think you should give a full point for that...

Your view?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Hmm agreed. It is by no means a perfect game, but it is a completely different approach to excercising. Compared to Your Shape, YS is more of a fitness/cardio program, whereas this is more strength, cardio, fitness, endurance, etc...it covers it all.

Changed to an 8!

11-17-2010, 06:14 PM
RE: [EA Sports Active 2] Review: I think it's a tie! [8/10]
I see you lowered your mark, thx voor being open to suggestions! I see how this is totally different from YS, as this is more of a tradional approach. Whereas it seems to me that YS is trying to be futuristic about it.

What did you think of the online/tracking capabilities?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Yup, they both have their pro's and con's. I also can't clearly state if one is better than the other that's why I reviewed them as a tie. It really depends on what you are looking for. I also only worked out once on each, both at the easy level, and EASA was more active and had you do more things, although for all I know, YS could have really challenging excercises on the harder levels more than EASA. It's hard to tell at this point.

Online is interesting. I'm really not utilizing either one yet, but I'll make a new thread to compare them - it needs its own thread because there are quite a few differences between them Smile

11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
This is awesome! I just picked this game up yesterday and cannot wait to play it! I'm an Army Captain recovering from some injuries - so if anybody wants to start a workout group (motivational, etc) let me know!

How is the online tracking?
11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
100% accurate Smile It's EA man lol that is one thing they are good at.

11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Great review, thanks

Regards,

Berva
11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
we had the first EA Sports Active for the Wii and it was a great game. but with the Wii, the problem is that you had to strap the nunchuk to your thigh. my brother has trunks for legs so he couldn't place the band at the right location. so he ended up having to put the leg band lower which became a big problem during some exercises where the system couldn't detect that he was jumping. so he'd be doing something correctly but the system said he wasn't moving and was failing.

so I thought this game would be awesome with the Kinect. does the EA game have floor exercises like crunches? I heard that the biggest loser has floor exercises.

we're still debating your shape and the ea game. I played the punching boxes demo of Your Shape that came with Kinect Adventures and it was surprisingly addictive. Who knew that punching boxes would be fun. Major workout of your abs and obliques and a good cardio workout to boot.
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Yup EASA 2 does have floor excercises, there's crunches, reverse crunches, push ups, and some others I don't recall Smile

01-29-2011, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2011 02:22 AM by ywith.)
Just got this game and really enjoying it. Apply the patch as that will correct some bugs. Also do a hard-drive install may help. It requires about 1ft more room minimum than the minimum on some other kinect games especially for sit ups and press-ups. However, if you have kinect sports or adventures, if you have the ideal space on its calculation and you are towards the back of the "ideal" floor space then you will have no troubles.

THE GOOD AND BAD AREAS IMPROVED IN UPDATE

The voice controls do work better than the kinect hand ones which are fiddly on some screens and the controller is best for some of those. During the workout don't have another TV on in the room, or a separate stereo playing as that can make it hard for your voice to be picked up. The TV playing kinect can be on though. The voice controls once patched with xbox live update do allow you when you are not seen by kinect (explained in a minute) to exit the menu that pops up as a result quickly. The update disabled "show me how" and "jukebox" commands by voice, so you won't get them popping up by accident during your workout and interrupting gameplay.

FACE RECOGNITION A SLIGHT PAIN, but no big problem

The thing with it is the device has to recognise your face during the workout for some reason, so do a good few kinect IDs with different exaggerated head tilts and lighting (and have lights on full when working out so face visible) for best results with the game so not constantly asking you to do face checking. However, this did not happen much with me, only when i went to go pick up some weights and stepped out of view of kinect (so just have to look at sensor, it recognises you and you say OK, or select or words to that effect - whatever the green button word is). The other time it happened was during pressups when i wasn't far enough back from the kinect. Again just stand up it recognises you and you say ok. Also pay attention to what you are being told. I.e. if you are about to do pressups or situps, stand until the trainer or text comes on screen says to lie down, even if you know the instructional video just told you you are going to be getting on the floor. So try not to anticipate what it will want you to do, wait until told and you will not get the "can't see you" messages.

NEEDS MORE SPACE THAN OTHER KINECT GAMES (2.1m minimum rather than about 1.8m)

I'd say this game is probably the least forgiving on space, but you wouldn't get this if you didn't have plenty of space for working out. Having lots of space and getting far back from the sensor for floor exercises is best.

HEART MONITOR BATTERIES

Heart monitor takes 2 AA batteries (A question I asked earlier and yes rechargeables work fine) and you hardly notice its on. It has a special sync button you hardly can see to sync first time, don't just try use on button as that confused me as never synced a controller before on xbox.

MULTIPLAYER CORRECTION TO INITIAL POST

Sorry to make a correction to the initial reviewers comments, but some of these points put me off getting the game initially, so I wish to allay any other peoples fears. You do not have to wear the heart monitor to play the game, although does defeat the point of buying it to not use it. In fact I did the first part of my routine today with it strapped on, but forgot to turn it on and was puzzled why my pulse wasn't showing lol. I really wanted to play local multiplayer, but the suggestion I would need to buy another heart monitor put me off this game initially. The other sensor purchases are only required for wii and PS3 where they need second body tracking system too. However, kinect does not need another piece of equipment to track 2 people. Multiplayer is possible without additional purchase. I repeat YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A 2ND HEART MONITOR to play local multiplayer. 2 players can play the game in the same room at the same time with or without the heart monitor. The second players heart and exercise data isn't saved, but if you have the same workout you will be burning roughly the same calories anyway. I played with my mum and I had the heart monitor on and she didn't and worked fine. Its quite good fun 2 player, although if you finish first you have to do extra of that exercise until the other person finishes. So for example I did 12/10 situps before mum had done 4/10.

Multiplayer only disadvantage apart from bit more space than other kinect games needed is that if one person is knackered and can't continue e.g. player 2, player 1 cannot complete the workout because the other person has given up. So prob best to do it with someone of a similar ability, or stick to exercises you know you can both do.

OVERALL

I have found the game Really enjoyable game overall. I've set up a workout group if anyone is interested.

The online stuff isn't as good as it could be yet, but its still beta. Hopefully the february update will improve things.

Not figured out how to do a fitness test yet if anyone else has any idea how to do that.

Tips

And a final tip on bent over strap exercises - really bend your torso forward (about 70 degrees, but not quite right angles to your legs) and then do the lifts as otherwise the lifts won't register. Also remember your trainer is your mirror image so if their left foot is forward in a squatting lunging exercise, yours right foot should be going forward, not your left. So consider have you got the wrong arm or leg doing the exercise if its not registering.

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
01-29-2011, 02:34 AM
Nice review ywith,

i'm playing YourShape since 3 weeks but i'm looking forward to get EASA 2 (i don't need to lose weight, i want cardio and muscle and find YourShape a bit limited...).

How is the resistance band ?
Do you have to be in sync with the instructor like in YourShape ?
(sync is really difficult sometimes in YS)

Thanks

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
01-29-2011, 02:45 AM
(01-29-2011 02:34 AM)legreffer Wrote:  How is the resistance band ?
Do you have to be in sync with the instructor like in YourShape ?
(sync is really difficult sometimes in YS)

1) You don't have to be in sync at all. As long as you do the reps. The football, dodgeball and step aerobics require timing though.

2) not tried the resistance band or even opened it. When I got the game for the Wii I spent £5 on amazon and got the heavy one and then put the heavy and wii medium one together to get a nice 4 or 5kg resistance overall, which was fine for me. If you are really big on weights just use your own ones in the game rather than the band and that works. I prefer my system though with my custom resistance band mockup as I can shorten (i.e. fold and step on it) to add resistance for stronger muscles like when doing a biceps curl which i find too easy if i don't shorten. However, the lateral raises i use only one foot and no folding as they kill my arms lifting that weight repeatedly to the sides. If you want to build your arms just focus on doing the pressups more as the easy setting makes you do 2 sets of 10 usually in a 30 min workout. If you put it on hard or do a custom workout or trainer generated workout for upper body you'll have guns of steel by the summer.

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
 Thanks given by: legreffer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Deca Sports Freedom Kinect Review TheZeeMan 35 17,073 10-30-2011 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  Wipeout: In The Zone Review TheZeeMan 3 611 10-10-2011 10:05 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Nicktoons MLB Review TheZeeMan 1 1,158 09-26-2011 05:45 PM
  [Accessories] Intec G8692 Xbox Kinect Sports Pack TheZeeMan 1 360 09-17-2011 11:18 AM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Gunstringer Review TheZeeMan 3 1,146 09-16-2011 08:04 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Zumba Fitness Kinect Review dirtyvu 3 7,934 09-15-2011 09:33 PM