We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 08:38 PM by Clemens.)
Thumbs Up Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review
Fighters Uncaged

[Image: 517Tp633h0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
  • Official site http://fighters-uncaged.us.ubi.com
  • Developer: Ubisoft
  • Genre: Action, Fighting, Sim
  • Rating: T for Teen
  • Alternative game name: --
  • Players: 2
  • Xbox Live supported?: Yes
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: 7-50

Fighters Uncaged - The good
  • First and (so far) only fighting game for Kinect
  • Decent music
  • Thorough tutorial
  • Great workout

Fighters Uncaged - The not so good
  • No plot whatsoever
  • Inability to change character
  • Complexity of play
  • Facial recognition a PITA

Fighters Uncaged - Story
Maybe I just missed it when I first started playing, but there doesn't appear to be any plot. You start off as a guy training to fight, but they don't explain why. Not that it really matters, but it would be nice to have some sort of back story. Why is this guy going around beating up people? Is he trying to fight his way up the ladder to a drug kingpin who killed his mother?? The only clue the game gives is that there are different "leagues", so I'm guessing your character is trying to improve his ranks in the local street fighting league...?

Fighters Uncaged - Kinect experience
This is where the facial recognition can be a pain. You have to hold a lamp right next to your face in order for the game to progress to the start screen. You're literally stuck, no way to bypass that part. It''s not really even necessary for the game, as far as I can tell. The infrared tells where your head is, and the game doesn't take any pictures of you, so what's the big idea? Maybe this is only a problem for dark skinned people, but I wish Ubisoft would have thought of that.

The only other Kinect-specific issue may be the combo speed. When you're executing your combos, make sure you don't get too excited and do them too fast; don't get sloppy with it. The lag is not a problem, but the clarity of your movements can be. It's easy to get carried away and start flailing around, but the game won't know what you're doing to the exact degree you need it to.

Fighters Uncaged - Graphics
The graphics are good, the characters aren't too tubular, and the scenes/settings are pretty cool and realistic. The menu interface is easy to navigate, though the text can be a little small. You'll need a big screen TV.

Fighters Uncaged - Gameplay
It starts off with a thinly veiled tutorial round, where you are training in a gym. It's not very thorough, but it gets the job done. By the time it's finished, you'll know the basic moves, and can choose to go back later and learn the more complex combos on your own. The training really gets you amped for the game too.

The first few villains are easy enough to beat, though if you're of average fitness level like me, you'll get winded after about the 2nd round. Or maybe I'm just really into it, I don't know, lol. The thing to focus on mastering while you're playing these easy guys is how to distance yourself. You'll need to know this in order to make any of your strikes connect in the upper leagues. Blocking is also essential. You will tire yourself out needlessly if you don't master distancing and blocking. There are 3 distances:

Close up
Medium Range
Long Range

and various ways of getting to each. You can't actually move your body forward and backward, you have to use certain combos to move. The game includes a guide, study it well. The best combo I've found is to get medium range, punch, uppercut, headbutt, then kick. After that you'll be at long range and can catch your breath for a minute while you figure out what his next move is going to be, so you can block it.

One of the things that might throw you off at first is that your on-screen character can do floor spin-kicks and other moves that you aren't actually doing in real life. This is accomplished by special moves, but the game kind of glosses over them. Practice makes perfect. The other thing to note is to turn your fan on, grab a chair, and a bottle of water before starting. I doubt you'll be able to do more than 4 rounds without needing a rest.

There is no way to change how you look in the game; you're always a guy in a hoodie and jeans. That doesn't bother me too much, but you'd think they'd have designed at least one more, maybe a woman? Hah, I should know better. The villains are well designed, though their "themes" are all over the place. One guy looks like an italian mobster, another a bike gang member, a pimp, etc. I guess they're all standard urban creatures, but again, it'd be nice to have a plot. Maybe show your character progressing through town, fighting different styles of people as he goes. Just.. something to tie everything together.

Fighters Uncaged - Multiplayer options
Tag team is something I have yet to try. Independent fighting is exciting enough at this point; I'll get my friends to try it sometime.

Conclusion
Overall I highly recommend this game, especially to anyone looking to get fit without thinking about it, or to anyone who enjoys simulation games.

More Fighters Uncaged
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [order here]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
RE: [Fighters Uncaged] Review: Not for the weak! [8/10]
I am confused by reviews as well we are getting a Kinnect for Christmas and planned to get everyone a game Fighter Uncaged was going to be for my husband but after reading some of the reviews I am not sure if I should get it. We both like to exercise so maybe its ok if you get it for that purpose.
12-27-2010, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 05:54 AM by L0tech1.)
Awesome to see a positive review for this game, thanks!

I just got Fighters today, so I won't offer a valid opinion just yet, but having played a few other kinect games (IE, having a realistic expectation of what Kinect will accept as input), I was getting decent responses by just allowing a little time between strikes. I can already see that you have to move fairly precisely to get the EXACT move you were looking for. Straightforward punches and kicks are very predictable., and for the record, a real roundhouse kick sure seems to register just fine Smile

From all the video reviews I saw, it was pretty obvious that most people either expected magic from their crappy, untimed flailing, or they expected to be able to throw out 123 combos as fast as real life and have them register. Fighting games have always been about timing and perfectly executed combos... why would this be any different?

The only moves I'm having a problem with are the ones that require you to lean back first, and the ducking moves. The game seems to take just a little too long to recognise that you've done either of these things, but again, it all seems to come back to having good timing.
12-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm an amateur MMa fighter and I wouldn't say this game is any sort of workout but, I do think it's a fun game. Knowing how to do real kicks and strikes does help in this game. I do find it fun, but you do have to slow down your movements a bit. Your reviews helped me decide to buy this game. Thee are some problems but, Kinect is still very new. Feel free to add ArchangelMMA on X box live.Smile
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I was holding back at getting this game because of bad reviews but I might now. Just playing the Kinect Sports boxing, I find I do a bit better if I slow down. With no weight on my hands and the work outs I do every day, I swing so fast, my right hand feels like it's ripping off my arm and I feel like I'm just about throwing my shoulders out of joint. I find holding sock balls in my hands help. I really need some 1 or 2 pound weights to hold.

As far as the game not picking up motions correctly, it could be that people are just moving so fast. My wife flails a lot in the boxing but I'm surprised she still seems to be able to knock me out and even win. I try to work on landing a good punch and she is doing the doggy paddle next to me, beating the crap out of me.

Like anything, I've gotten better at boxing and I think the more I play anything even fighters uncaged, I can figure out what works best. I was aimlessly swinging in boxing at first but now I've gotten to know when to punch down or up and when I can land a good round house and win in the first round.
02-03-2011, 04:15 AM
Just bought this game tonight, and after a couple of hours playing I have to say it's suprisingly fun. Not too deep, but fun and a great workout. As others have said, if you take the time to learn what the moves and understand it's not 1:1 game play then it's fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fantastic Pets Kinect Review TheZeeMan 0 67 Yesterday 08:21 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Michael Jackson The Experience Kinect Review TheZeeMan 0 55 Yesterday 07:42 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  YooStar 2 Kinect Review TheZeeMan 27 5,406 Yesterday 08:54 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Dance Central Kinect Review TheZeeMan 3 4,428 05-01-2011 02:55 PM
Last Post: ScoobyWRX555
Thumbs Up Michael Jackson: The Experience Kinect Review Corellianrogue 3 578 04-27-2011 11:27 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Dance Paradise Kinect Review dirtyvu 1 589 04-27-2011 07:24 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)