/ / v /

Gameplay vids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gameplay vids
10-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Gameplay vids
Hey guys,

Wanted to get your opinion...I am thinking about purchasing a capture device to give some gameplay vids along with the reviews. It wouldn't be as elaborate as having split screen showing physical motions and gameplay but just gameplay vids or should I not bother unless I do split screen...thoughts?

[Image: thezeeman.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Question RE: Gameplay vids
Wouldn't it be cheaper having a videocamera set up so it can see you and the game, if you want to show both? Seeing direct feed of games graphics is good too though if you want to do it. Generally though I think it's good if Kinect reviewers show themselves playing the games because if they're doing anything wrong people can actually see and point it out to them in the comments.
10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
RE: Gameplay vids
Hmm true, but I don't have a HD vid camera, so essentially it would cost more TongueRoxio makes a capture device that works with components so you can at least get HD gameplay vids, also my living room isn't big enough where I could get both on one screen...I was just thinking gameplay vids might be better than the random screenshots I pull in

10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
That would be awesome. That's what I like about the french site (jeuxvideo.com) I was refering in another post. They're doing "gaming live" videos which tells alot about the gameplay and the game.

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
10-20-2011, 06:30 PM
That's what I'm thinking...I can actually add text/voice during certain "scenes" if I reference it in the review...I think it will just give a better overall feel of the game.

10-20-2011, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2011 07:07 PM by dirtyvu.)
(10-20-2011 03:42 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hey guys,

Wanted to get your opinion...I am thinking about purchasing a capture device to give some gameplay vids along with the reviews. It wouldn't be as elaborate as having split screen showing physical motions and gameplay but just gameplay vids or should I not bother unless I do split screen...thoughts?

gameplay vids would be great. i use an Hauppauge HD-PVR myself. records in awesome 720P.

if you want to do splitscreen, i can help you out with that. send me the 2 feeds and i'll mix them together. for your actual physical action, you could even use your cell phone video recorder.

(10-20-2011 04:42 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm true, but I don't have a HD vid camera, so essentially it would cost more TongueRoxio makes a capture device that works with components so you can at least get HD gameplay vids, also my living room isn't big enough where I could get both on one screen...I was just thinking gameplay vids might be better than the random screenshots I pull in

the roxio device is great because it's cheap and it works. but it records only 480P SD.

if you want to save money, you can swing for a blackmagic card that also has HDMI input. I use the Hauppauge HD-PVR because it has component which pretty much guarantees you can record anything since it's hard to encrypt an analog signal. the hauppauge colossus has pretty much replaced the HD-PVR.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Ah sweet, thanks dirty!

10-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Question RE: Gameplay vids
(10-20-2011 04:42 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm true, but I don't have a HD vid camera, so essentially it would cost more TongueRoxio makes a capture device that works with components so you can at least get HD gameplay vids, also my living room isn't big enough where I could get both on one screen...I was just thinking gameplay vids might be better than the random screenshots I pull in

How much is the capture device? You can get HD videocameras here for under £100 now. Basic ones obviously but then you're not making a movie, lol!
10-21-2011, 02:22 AM
(10-21-2011 01:54 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  

How much is the capture device? You can get HD videocameras here for under £100 now. Basic ones obviously but then you're not making a movie, lol!

the roxio is around $50 and that records in 480P.

the hauppauge hd-pvr is and external device and is around $200 and records in either 720P or 1080i. and the video is easy to work with if you need to edit.

the hauppauge colossus is cheaper at $120-150. but it's an internal card which limits its portability (which may not be important to you).

for me, the hd-pvr is great because I can carry my laptop and hd-pvr around and makes it convenient to hook to the 360 or any other device. if your 360 is already near your pc, then the colossus is perfect.

10-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Gameplay vids
(10-21-2011 02:22 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  
(10-21-2011 01:54 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  

the roxio is around $50 and that records in 480P.

the hauppauge hd-pvr is and external device and is around $200 and records in either 720P or 1080i. and the video is easy to work with if you need to edit.

the hauppauge colossus is cheaper at $120-150. but it's an internal card which limits its portability (which may not be important to you).

for me, the hd-pvr is great because I can carry my laptop and hd-pvr around and makes it convenient to hook to the 360 or any other device. if your 360 is already near your pc, then the colossus is perfect.

The Roxio is really cheap then! The other ones don't sound overly expensive either, $200 is about £130.
10-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey dirty, I ended up just getting the Roxio, any idea why the USB connection causes a buzz in audio? I can't figure it out...was wondering if it was normal?

10-22-2011, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 09:31 PM by dirtyvu.)
(10-22-2011 07:53 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hey dirty, I ended up just getting the Roxio, any idea why the USB connection causes a buzz in audio? I can't figure it out...was wondering if it was normal?

a buzz? I would assume that comes from the component cables, not the USB connection. change cables (preferably a thicker or more insulated wiring). Also, if you have a zillion wires in the same vicinity, you may have to clean it up.

it also could be the RCA composite stereo cables of your component cable. I avoid mine. I use the component Pr Py and Pb connectors and then I use optical audio so I can record 5.1 audio (I leave the red/white RCA cables unhooked on both sides of the component cable).

did you check troubleshooting?

10-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah its definitely the USB, because when I don't hook up USB, no buzzing. I did even unplug each cable on both sides one at a time to see what was the culprit, and it's definitely the USB cable. What is wierd though, in the capture videos, there is no buzzing either, so it's only when I'm playing with the volume on through the TV. Very strange, it works though!

10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't get any buzzing with my Hauppauge. But if you're not recording it and it's not interfering with your Kinect mics, then it's not an issue with making videos.

10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Ya it seemed to record it fine, its just wierd, I heard the feedback through my laptop as well, but it doesn't apply it to the recorded video so I think it will be ok. Thanks though man, this is exciting! Big Grin