We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Pt 1 Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-18-2010, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 08:40 PM by Clemens.)
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Part 1

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqszo6Jn5Rohe4QO1L_bu...Cp52Zv34fA]
  • Official site http://www.ea.com/games/harry-potter-deathly-hallows
  • Developer: EA Bright Light Studio
  • Genre: Action Adventure
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Modes: Challenge, Full Mission Single-Player
  • Players: 2
  • Online Features: Achievements, Leaderboards, Xbox LIVE Family Settings
  • Kinect Features: Co-op 2 player
  • Kinect Activity Level: Standing
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: All

Harry Potter - The good
  • If you are a Harry Potter fan, you will love it
  • The graphics/scenery are "dark" like the movies have been going if you are into the dark stuff.
  • Simulatenous 2 player kinect support so you and a friend can "Magic" it up! Tongue
  • You don't even have to play the full game to get the kinect mini-games.

Game Name - The not so good
  • There are only 4 attack spells, 1 defensive spell and a water bottle, although I don't think the movies have gone beyond this either, so it's not really the games fault, but it's kind of boring after awhile
  • There are 12 minigames, but each limits you to only 2 attack spells and it changes them so you can only use those specific spells during that mini-game.
  • Only xbox live action is leaderboards
  • It only took me about 20 minutes to make it through all 12

Harry Potter - Story
There is no story with the kinect portion. I would of thought EA would of mixed in the kinect portions as you play the main game, but it's separate all together.

Harry Potter - Kinect experience
The one thing I noticed is kinect only tracks your 2 hands in this. It doesn't care about your head or your feet. I was able to sit on the couch and cast the spells. There is also only one spell in the game that requires you to aim, and the aiming is not very accurate.

Harry Potter - Graphics
As I was saying earlier, the graphics are good, but they are all dark, as in death surrounds you. Not my forte, I only liked the first potter... Tongue

Harry Potter - Gameplay
The minigames are all rail shooters, meaning it walks by itself and you only have cast your spells. It gives you a specific time frames to beat that minigame in, and then you get stars based on your finish time. You are then ranked with everyone else on XBL.

Harry Potter - Multiplayer options
The only multiplayer is local 2 player simulatenous, player 1 plays potter and player 2 plays Ron I think....I could only see the back of his head.

Conclusion
If you are just getting this for kinect, I would rent it, or better yet, EA could of released the kinect portion as DLC so you don't need to spend $60 on the game. But as other sites have said, if you are true Harry Potter fan, then this game is for you. Other than that, it's basically an HD Wii mini-game compilation because you don't have to move your feet/head and gets very repetitive, but is beatable in about 30 minutes.

More info on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 video game
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [screenshots] [achievements] [order game here]

[Image: thezeeman.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2010, 04:14 AM
RE: [Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Pt 1] Review: Only the kinect portion! [4/10]
good review my only problem that I know all of them are saying the kinect portion is week.

The developer admits it was afterthought they didn't wanna put it in the main game as then it would interfere and make it much more complex coding if they have kinect or didn't have kinect. so just put it on the side so you can just run through them, plus if they made it need kinect in the main game there is only 1 million kinects ever hp on xbox alone sold roughly 1.1-1.7 million each meaning everyone so far with kinect would need to buy it to make those numbers. Much easier to have the kinect players want it for the extra and all the other 40+ million other xboxs out that want it can play it with no trouble or missing any of the meat of the game).

As I said though great review made me leary on picking it up as I thought the "rail shooting" would be good fun if even if it was harry potter

[Image: Terrin.png]
11-19-2010, 04:36 AM
RE: [Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Pt 1] Review: Only the kinect portion! [4/10]
No prob! Hope it helps. The kinect portion would realistically probably be fun with 2 people as more of a "Let's pretend we're in the Potter movie/game" but as for like a real game, the single player w/ controller does that, not the kinect portion.

11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
THanks for the review! Did you like the real game? (Not the Kinect part)

[Image: gagmag13.png]
11-19-2010, 10:33 PM
LOL funny you ask, I actually don't care for the Potter games. I only wanted to try the kinect portion so I didn't even bother playing the real game. I love the lego games and thought maybe I'd like the Lego Potter but I didn't like that one either...Not sure what it is, I am just not a Potter game fan Tongue

11-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Oh ok! XD So you dropped 50$ and more for a little bit of Potter's mini games? Great job dude! Tongue But try it, a lot people are saying that's a good game.

[Image: gagmag13.png]
11-20-2010, 05:15 AM
(11-20-2010 05:12 AM)Gagmag Wrote:  Oh ok! XD So you dropped 50$ and more for a little bit of Potter's mini games? Great job dude! Tongue But try it, a lot people are saying that's a good game.

No way man, you have to read all of my posts Tongue I do a ton of renting. I would never spend $50 on potter let alone a mini-game Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Deca Sports Freedom Kinect Review TheZeeMan 35 17,079 10-30-2011 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  Wipeout: In The Zone Review TheZeeMan 3 611 10-10-2011 10:05 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Nicktoons MLB Review TheZeeMan 1 1,159 09-26-2011 05:45 PM
  Gunstringer Review TheZeeMan 3 1,150 09-16-2011 08:04 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Zumba Fitness Kinect Review dirtyvu 3 7,937 09-15-2011 09:33 PM
  Penguins of Madagascar - Kinect: Dr. Blowhole Returns Again Review TheZeeMan 0 754 09-09-2011 02:11 AM
Last Post: TheZeeMan