We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Inside Kinect!

Inside Kinect!
11-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Heart Inside Kinect!
I don't think anyone has posted this yet so I thought I'd post it. There's a website that has taken their Kinect apart to see what's inside it and there are a few interesting points:

1. Kinect DOES have its own processor! The one that was removed must have been an extra one or something.

2. Kinect has its OWN 64MB of RAM! So those stories of Kinect using 64MB of RAM seem to be only half true, it does use 64MB but of its own RAM not the Xbox 360's (unless it actually needs 128MB and uses 64MB of its own plus 64MB of the Xbox 360's?) so it shouldn't reduce how much RAM is available for the games themselves.

3. Maybe some people already knew this but Kinect actually has TWO infrared sensors! I thought it just had one and the other one was the infrared projector but it looks like the infrared projector is actually what I thought was the power light, lol!

Here's the article with more info:

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/11/05/ifix...s-it-tick/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2010, 05:09 AM
RE: Inside Kinect!
Great! thanks a lot!

EyeToy 1.5 ah? Big Grin
11-05-2010, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 06:48 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Exclamation RE: Inside Kinect!
OK, it turns out that the website in that link got it wrong but the original Ifixit article that the website links to has got it right, there is only ONE infrared sensor and the other "lens" is actually the infrared projector and I was right that the little spot just left of centre is the power light! (Well, it actually says status indicator.) Here's a link to the original article with even more info than the previous link!:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft...own/4066/1

NOTE: Responding to threads is only done through Disqus in the Kinect News forum - to keep it in sync with he frontpage comments (no registration required):

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to play Sonic Free Riders? Guide inside! Clemens 0 529 11-11-2010 12:16 PM
Last Post: Clemens