/ / v /

Kinect Experience: Day One

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 10:25 AM by DiJaDi.)
So, I went out this morning and picked up my pre-ordered Kinect, and two games (aside from the included Kinect Adventures).

I went home and procrastinated trying it. I didn't want to move furniture, I didn't want to risk being disappointed, I wanted to get all my daily challenges done for Reach, etc....

And finally, around 2pm, I ended up setting it up.

First surprise; not needing the power cables, thanks to my purchase of an XBOX Slim a few months prior. That's when I started getting excited. I only needed to plug in one cord, and I didn't even need another outlet. Once I got it up and running, the instructions were simple. Overall, I'd say it only took me thirty minutes to get it set up and get my Kinect ID configured. And then I was ready to play.

I started with Kinect Adventures. And then realized I needed to change from jeans to shorts, because there is a lot of jumping and moving involved. All in all, I'd give Adventures a 4 out of 5. It was fun, quick to figure out, and still challenging enough that mastery will take me quite a bit of time and practice. My only quibble was my discovery of just how much space is required for Kinect. I can barely manage to get 'Best' mode, and it looks like I'll end up having to move our couch to get the greatest movement out of it. I'll manage with the space I have for now, though.

After Kinect Adventures, I popped in Kinectimals. Let me start off by saying Kinectimals is almost-irresistibly cute. It was almost like playing with a newborn kitten, albeit more work (mostly thanks to having to step sideways to actually decently pet the furry mongrel). But the story was very much geared towards a very young age, and I'm no infant to be amused by it. And the narrating flying squirrel (or whatever monstrosity that was supposed to be) was a complete nuisance to someone of my maturity. This game is definitely for kids only, although kids will almost certainly love it (especially if they're into virtual pets). Obviously, I won't be found playing it very much (though I might make a stab at seeing if I can endure it for the achievements).

Which reminds me, I totally didn't expect these games to have achievements. They have achievements! It's the first time I've played 360 games and not even thought about trying to up my gamerscore. It just doesn't cross my mind while playing- I'm enjoying playing too much to really focus on hunting after them. I mean, that might change after awhile, but, worst case, that will just up the replay value.

Anyhow, after being somewhat disappointed by the cute-but-far-too-cuddly Kinectimals, I tried out Kinect Sports. Every sport, a handful of the minigames, and I was happy again. I was particularly impressed by Party Mode, which throws a bunch of minigames into a playlist for a group of people to have a two-teamed tournament of 1v1s. Very innovative, very cool. And the only sport I had any complaints about at all was Boxing, as my roommate wildly flung his fists to earn an easy KO. I'm going to havta try and find a counter for that. In any case, I give Kinect Sports a 4.5 of 5 in terms of entertainment value.

I can't really explain why I liked Sports better than Adventures beyond that Sports had a lot more variety. Adventures had a very similar style for most of its game modes, which created a bit of a monotonous feel after a couple hours of testing. However, I'm sure that playing with others in either game completely makes up for whatever flaws exist in terms of variety.

To quote the first review I typed regarding Kinect...:
DiJaDi, regarding his experience with Kinect on Day One, Wrote:So far, Kinect is easily a billion times what Wii was. It's also a perfect change of pace from all the rank-grinding and endless forging in Reach. And I can't help but think that we're really not all that far from the technology seen in Gamer (well, except for the whole mind-control bit- that's already in effect, obviously). This is a huge step in that direction, I think. Looking forward to seeing voice commands and body motions in more serious games.

For now, I'm pretty satisfied with my investment. Kinect is just about everything I expected it to be, plus a little more. And a LOT more fun than the Wii.

Oh, and for the record, the mess in that pic is all my roommate's. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2010, 03:59 PM
RE: Kinect Experience: Day One
Lol... on the mess-comment.

Really good to know you had as many fun as the others on this forum, especially liked this part: Kinect is just about everything I expected it to be, plus a little more. And a LOT more fun than the Wii.

and: It just doesn't cross my mind while playing- I'm enjoying playing too much to really focus on hunting after them. I mean, that might change after awhile, but, worst case, that will just up the replay value.

and: Very innovative, very cool. And the only sport I had any complaints about at all was Boxing, as my roommate wildly flung his fists to earn an easy KO.
LOL competitive, are we?

thanks for the write-up!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Sure, thanks for tweeting at me! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
(11-05-2010 04:33 PM)DiJaDi Wrote:  Sure, thanks for tweeting at me! Big Grin

lol, no problem Big Grin

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Michael Jackson The Experience//DISAPPOINTMENT!!! ZappyGetzOff10 26 1,030 Yesterday 10:19 AM
Last Post: meistroracer
  My Experience meistroracer 8 511 02-02-2011 12:46 AM
Last Post: Clemens
  My Kinect Experience - A brief Kinect Review Clemens 1 466 11-15-2010 04:10 PM
Last Post: C0d3_W4rr10r
  First to experience Kinect Clemens 6 952 11-05-2010 12:15 PM
Last Post: Clemens

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)