/ / v /

Kinect Motor Appears to be broken...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Happy New Year everyone,

I bought my Kinect in the beginning of 2011 and used it for a few games, but mostly as a workout using Your Shape Fitness. After sloughing off this holiday season, I made it my resolution to start back up here in the New Year and get back to working out daily.

To my surprise, my Kinect sensor couldn't detect me when I turned it on today. I noticed it was just staring at the ground, not moving or tilting like it usually does. I unplugged it, restarted my 360, reconnected the Kinect and went to the Tuner to reconfigure and am getting a message stating that "The Kinect Sensor can't move enough."

It seems to me that the motor has either given out or one of the gears are off. Does anyone have any options or suggestions for me? I bought this so long ago, I'm not sure I have the box or receipt anymore, nor do I think it would be under warranty, since it is almost a year old.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2012, 08:12 PM
RE: Kinect Motor Appears to be broken...
if you're sure it's not under warranty...

you can get a used or refurbished Kinect. Some stores sell them for pretty cheap. also Craigslist.
you can maybe check out xboxscene as they have a number of hardware and software guys that may know how to fix it.
you can physically turn the kinect (last resort). it'll click along the teeth of the gears but it'll turn.
you can pay Microsoft to fix it though I don't think that's a viable option as I would believe that it would be cost prohibitive.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
01-04-2012, 04:45 AM
Information RE: Kinect Motor Appears to be broken...
(01-02-2012 03:38 PM)Fast Jimmy Wrote:  Happy New Year everyone,

I bought my Kinect in the beginning of 2011 and used it for a few games, but mostly as a workout using Your Shape Fitness. After sloughing off this holiday season, I made it my resolution to start back up here in the New Year and get back to working out daily.

To my surprise, my Kinect sensor couldn't detect me when I turned it on today. I noticed it was just staring at the ground, not moving or tilting like it usually does. I unplugged it, restarted my 360, reconnected the Kinect and went to the Tuner to reconfigure and am getting a message stating that "The Kinect Sensor can't move enough."

It seems to me that the motor has either given out or one of the gears are off. Does anyone have any options or suggestions for me? I bought this so long ago, I'm not sure I have the box or receipt anymore, nor do I think it would be under warranty, since it is almost a year old.

Thanks!

There is a possibilty that you've just got a glitch that happened to me too, although mine said it couldn't detect the floor (despite pointing at it lol!) not that it couldn't move enough. Try running the Kinect Tuner and stepping out of Kinect's view before running the first part when it scans the room then step back in view like normal for the tracking calibration and other tests. If that doesn't fix it then maybe it is broken and needs returning or fixing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Capture movement within motor game with kinect,real time lenoxmo 0 330 06-26-2012 07:18 AM
Last Post: lenoxmo
  can you break your motor ? mogodon10 6 916 06-10-2012 10:15 AM
Last Post: mogodon10
  kinect broken or not ?? drfox 5 2,608 11-11-2011 07:10 PM
Last Post: Jersmall
  Broken Kinect Help! AngieB 9 8,938 01-13-2011 10:27 PM
Last Post: watchmefly420