everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect Open-Source

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Kinect Open-Source
11-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Kinect Open-Source
I think we may need a Kinect Open-Source related forum. In the meantime, perhaps we can post open-source Kinect info (projects, specs etc...) here.

This guy made Mario Bros playable with Kinect! I thought this was pretty cool and shows that people can use Kinect as a control for non-XBox 360 games.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2010, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2010 09:55 AM by peterng25.)
RE: Kinect Open-Source
(11-27-2010 06:36 PM)Nick Wrote:  I think we may need a Kinect Open-Source related forum. In the meantime, perhaps we can post open-source Kinect info (projects, specs etc...) here.

This guy made Mario Bros playable with Kinect! I thought this was pretty cool and shows that people can use Kinect as a control for non-XBox 360 games.

I think this definitely puts to rest the idea that you cannot make games you can control with your feet instead of on rails game. I am sure someone can put up an example of stepping a foot forward and moving forward (in 3d) onscreen. Now that independents have a hold of the Kinect, all the ideas that gamers want will be set freeBig Grin
Actually, it's already done, Quake FPS with a dummy gun
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3eo8mL_TFws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3eo8mL_TFws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
(11-28-2010 09:05 AM)peterng25 Wrote:  [quote='Nick' pid='2232' dateline='1290879413']
I think we may need a Kinect Open-Source related forum. In the meantime, perhaps we can post open-source Kinect info (projects, specs etc...) here.

I think this definitely puts to rest the idea that you cannot make games you can control with your feet instead of on rails game. I am sure someone can put up an example of stepping a foot forward and moving forward (in 3d) onscreen. Now that independents have a hold of the Kinect, all the ideas that gamers want will be set freeBig Grin

Sorry, I don't embed Youtube very often (actually never):
11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Awesome! Quake on Kinect! Thanks for posting. Hopefully they find a way to make the control a little more responsive. The forward and backward movements seemed to be the easiest for this guy. I currently play some pc games with my 360 controller for windows. I make my own control schemes via xpadder (xpadder.com). I can't wait to see someone build a control mapping interface that I can use with PC games.
12-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Another very cool open-source Kinect project showing a virtual piano.

12-06-2010, 03:17 AM
^^^ I'd like to see the Move do that! Tongue Big Grin
12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
(12-06-2010 03:17 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  ^^^ I'd like to see the Move do that! Tongue Big Grin

Give it time, no one has even started with Move PC implementation yet. Smile

http://www.twitter.com/IckyGalaxy
12-07-2010, 12:20 AM
No offense, but developers have trouble coding for PS3 as it is, I doubt they will ever get to the move to be honest.

[Image: TheZeeMan]
12-07-2010, 03:08 AM
(12-06-2010 11:45 PM)IckyGalaxy Wrote:  
(12-06-2010 03:17 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  ^^^ I'd like to see the Move do that! Tongue Big Grin

Give it time, no one has even started with Move PC implementation yet. Smile

What are they going to do, have loads of Move wands on the floor and then stand on them? That's not very practical, lol! (OK, they wouldn't actually have to stand on them, just put their foot in front of the glowing ball so it blocks it from the PSEye, but still not very practical and you couldn't make the smaller version on a desk.)
12-08-2010, 03:09 AM
The first website designed to be used with Kinect...

12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Great vids guys!

If you want to embed a video, then there's an embed button in the reply screwn (not the wuick reply). HTML won't work I'm afraid.

Anyways, the open source forum is a good suggestion, but it may be a bit too much at this point. Let's see how this thread goes first Smile.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2010, 02:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2010 03:07 AM by Nick.)
Found this on Kinecthacks.net. This bodes well for the Open-Kinect and the future work we will see done by independents.

PrimeSense which created the 3D sensing camera used in Kinect has launched OpenNI standard an industry-led, not-for-profit organization formed to certify and promote the compatibility and interoperability of Natural Interaction (NI) devices, applications and middleware. As a first step towards this goal, the organization has made available an open source framework – the OpenNI framework – which provides an application programming interface (API) for writing applications utilizing natural interaction. This API covers communication with both low level devices (e.g. vision and audio sensors), as well as high-level middleware solutions.

What it means for us is that developers will more easily adapt standards for Kinect app development.

Here is a video which demonstrates real-time skeleton tracking, was produced using the OpenNI compliant NITE middleware by PrimeSense, running on their PrimeSensor depth sensing hardware, all connected using the OpenNI framework.

The code for this is open and supposedly will be used as a standard for many projects. VERY cool.

12-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Starting a revolution with Natural Interaction Devices such as Kinect...

I thought this was a great interview and gives some idea on what it is we may see in the future. Imagine every single electronics device in your home being controlled through gestures and voice. Imagine a world where there is no need for keyboards, remotes or light switches. Truly amazing stuff.

http://nui.joshland.org/2010/12/intervie...sense.html
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Exclamation RE: Kinect Open-Source
Air Guitar Hero? Lol! Big Grin

12-14-2010, 01:33 AM
More like Trombone Hero! LOL!

[Image: IgoThud.png]