We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!
01-17-2011, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 01:14 AM by Gilkissin.)
Sad Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!
Hello,
Like many folks, I have a semi-challenging living room setup to use with the Kinect sensor. I purchased the wall mount for the Kinect and installed it today. The top of the sensor (while it is flat) comes to just under 6 feet. Perfect height as it looks over the top of the television sitting on a console about a foot out in front of it. Moving it to this height netted about a foot "closer" of usable space for the Kinect. A problem I am encountering is that I cannot get any type of calibration for the sensor to angle to the right (my left when facing the Kinect). The reason I need to do this is that there is a loveseat that is in the viewable area but offsetting the sensor would likely alleviate this loveseat being in the Kinect's field of view. I had thought that the Kinect actually turned left and right but it does not appear to do this, only up and down?? I also thought that I could stand centered in what "I" considered the middle of the play space and that the Kinect would turn slightly to take that measurement as a baseline. I have done numerous calibrations and found the sensor height to be fine but really if there is some way to offset the base of the Kinect so that it faced to it's right, I think that would be best since the software is poorly designed and cannot do this internally.
Does anyone have any recommendations or modifications they have made for the wall mount that allows the base to be swiveled slightly right or left to acheive what I am looking for? If so, please let me know what you did as anything at this point would be helpful. I already spent a couple hours getting the wall installation perfectly positioned and installed (had to move the very heavy console) so I hope to now "salvage" it's placement with some type of left-right angle mod.

Thanks,
~Gilkissin~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
RE: Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!
Yeah, afraid it doesn't swivel left and right. I had an issue with this as well. My solution was a little easier though because I was using the mount on top of the TV all I had to do was angle my TV a couple of degrees away from the sofa and it did the trick. It just took a very small adjustment to get the sofa out of sensor range. That will be a little tougher with the wall mount. Would probably have to put some washers or something behind the mount on one side, assuming the screw is long enough, to get it looking away from your love seat a few degrees.
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Question RE: Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!
I'm confused. How does Kinect track you left and right during video chats then? Huh(I haven't tried video chat yet but I saw a demo of it and the video panned left and right when the girl moved left or right enough.)
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
RE: Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle!
(01-17-2011 03:41 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  I'm confused. How does Kinect track you left and right during video chats then? Huh(I haven't tried video chat yet but I saw a demo of it and the video panned left and right when the girl moved left or right enough.)

the panning is a software effect. the kinect doesn't actually physically move. the rgb image is manipulated in software. imagine your desktop as the view that the kinect gets. then imagine that a big spotlight is over the mouse cursor as you move it around the screen. just like the digital zoom on a digital camera (which isn't an actual zoom but simply focuses on a small part of the image and blows that up to appear to be a zoom).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Did I break my Kinect sensor? easygoer 5 296 01-05-2012 10:17 PM
Last Post: Jersmall
  Sensor at 7 feet high Bajamex99 2 403 12-31-2011 02:21 AM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Sensor not facing straight forward KNOPF007 2 605 12-04-2011 08:40 PM
Last Post: KNOPF007
Brick Running into the wall tmsmottl 3 2,137 01-16-2011 10:02 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan