We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts - Troubleshooting Kinect's Setup

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts - Troubleshooting Kinect's Setup
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 03:51 PM by Clemens.)
Information Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts - Troubleshooting Kinect's Setup
Please list the things you like to share on what to do and not to do in setting the Kinect Sensor up!

Hopefully we can all learn from each other and have the best Kinect experience!!

Kinect Setup DO's
  • everyone should do the manual tilt adjust, try to tilt it as far down as possible while still being able to see your head. (all of your head) I found if I just went with the default veiwing angle from the initial setup, that kinect seemed to want more play space. (I actually gained almost a foot of 'Best Play Space', which is where kinect states two player play is possible.
  • Calibrate the Kinect Sensor multiple times under different lighting conditions for the best experience.
  • Make sure your kinect is level if its not balanced trust me your gonna have a long day
  • You want the Kinect at eye level. This gives you your maximum play area view that kinect sensor can detect. At first I had mine about 2' off the ground, in my entertainment center.

Kinect Setup DONT's

Feel free to add yours in the discussion below!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
    Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
    Quote this message in a reply
    11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
    RE: Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts
    Please make sure your kinect is level if its not balanced trust me your gonna have a long day

Dont nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream
    Find all posts by this user
    02-21-2011, 10:50 PM
    RE: Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts - Troubleshooting Kinect's Setup
    I am new to this forum, so maybe this has already been answered. Is there a way after the initial set up to go in and re-setup the Kinect so I can do the manual kinect camera angle? It seems to be aiming very high for me right now. I have had the kinect for about a month and a half. Currently it seems to want me about 9 feet from the sensor. Thanks for the help!

Cable
    02-21-2011, 11:22 PM
    (02-21-2011 10:50 PM)Cable Wrote:  I am new to this forum, so maybe this has already been answered. Is there a way after the initial set up to go in and re-setup the Kinect so I can do the manual kinect camera angle? It seems to be aiming very high for me right now. I have had the kinect for about a month and a half. Currently it seems to want me about 9 feet from the sensor. Thanks for the help!

Cable

Welcome here Cable,

This video should help you :

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
    09-07-2011, 12:02 AM
    (02-21-2011 11:22 PM)legreffer Wrote:  
    (02-21-2011 10:50 PM)Cable Wrote:  I am new to this forum, so maybe this has already been answered. Is there a way after the initial set up to go in and re-setup the Kinect so I can do the manual kinect camera angle? It seems to be aiming very high for me right now. I have had the kinect for about a month and a half. Currently it seems to want me about 9 feet from the sensor. Thanks for the help!

Cable

Welcome here Cable,

This video should help you :

Never did say how to manual adjust!
    09-07-2011, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 02:33 AM by Corellianrogue.)
    Information RE: Kinect Setup: DOs and DON'Ts - Troubleshooting Kinect's Setup
    Here are a few important ones:

If you have an HDTV (definitely LCDs, not sure about plasmas and I don't think the few CRT HDTVs or CRT monitors are affected by this) check if it has a "Game Mode" or something similar. If it does then make sure it's switched ON when you're playing videogames otherwise you'll get extra lag on all games. If it doesn't have any kind of "Game Mode" then I don't know what you can do, you're probably just stuck with the extra lag.

Make sure your Xbox 360's (or any console really) video cable (whether it's HDMI, component or SCART) is plugged directly into the TV and not into a separate AV reciever (basic multi-socket switchers and extenders are probably OK though) otherwise you'll get extra lag on all games.

Ideally you should try to stand 7ft rather than 6ft away from Kinect for single-player, at least for games that require Kinect to track your full body, since you're likely to need the extra foot in front of you for all your forward motions to always track consistently. (If accessories like Zoom actually work perfectly then that will obviously help people who have a problem with this due to lack of space.)

Try not to have a lot of clutter around you in Kinect's view (which I've unfortunately still got) as I think Kinect works best when it has to do the least amount of extra work. Everything Kinect "sees" is initially processed and, other than the players, is then discarded so it's best if it doesn't see those things in the first place rather than having to process them. That's just my theory though, but based on a few occasions when I had even more clutter and had some tracking problems and even extra lag on some games.

Finally, make sure you're playing the games properly. Now this may sound stupidly obvious but I'll give you an example. In an IGN video preview of Kinect Star Wars they played the Jedi combat demo using weak, limp-wristed slapping with little arm movement. (And then complained that the controls didn't work properly and were unresponsive, lol! Dodgy) If you're playing a Kinect game as a lightsaber-wielding Jedi then obviously you should act like you're actually swinging a lightsaber to get the best results! Tongue
    12-29-2011, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011 01:21 PM by dirtyvu.)
    make sure you run the audio and kinect mic calibration at the sound level that you play your audio. this is to create a noise cancellation profile based on your volume. if you're running the calibration tests with audio at 15 but you game or play ESPN at volume 30, you'll have more problems than you should have with voice recognition.

here are some tips I found from personal experience. I've had a rock solid experience with the voice commands even when volume of the TV or sound system was high.

1) if you can have the speakers away from the kinect, of course, you'll get a better result
    2) the kinect mics are underneath the body of the Kinect so if you have the Kinect at eye level or higher, results tend to be better. when I set it low (like below the TV), I had to bark more often. but more often than not, I speak at a normal voice level and can even approach soft, near-whisper level with the Kinect above my TV (Kinect is about 6.5' above the floor).

I follow these tips and I have no problems with the Kinect recognizing me. The only time I have problems is with sporting events and when that happens, the only thing I can do is lower the volume so that the Kinect can hear me better. But the most important thing is to raise the volume of the TV or stereo to the correct level when calibrating.

You'll want the Kinect placed high anyway because the gaming performance will be better.

because what happens is the Kinect needs to see the floor and it needs to see the farthest part of you (seeing your fingertips when you raise your arms above your head). So when the kinect is placed high, it's looking downward so it's easier to see the floor and you. But if you put the Kinect below the TV (and the kinect's view is like a cone), to see both the floor and your whole body, you basically have to step further back. So you can probably trim a foot or so off your distance from the Kinect and get better scoring performance.

Also, to maximize the benefit of Kinect, you need to augment the Kinect ID database for each person. What Kinect ID really is is a database of images of the person where the system compares the person to the database of images to make the identification. So the more pictures it takes at varying lighting conditions and angles, the more accurate it is. Meaning you need to run the setup multiple times, at different times of day (night time lighting is obviously is different than 8am is different than high noon), different lighting conditions, different angles (Kinect at low height, Kinect at high height).

I've run the Kinect ID program with the Kinect at 6 feet (above the TV) and at 4 feet (below the TV). With all the lights of the family room on, with half the lights of the family room on, with bedroom lights on, etc. At 9AM, noon, 5PM, 8PM.

And the database is self-contained on each individual 360. So if you move the Kinect between your bedroom 360 and your family room 360, you have to build the databases separately on each 360. Obviously, the height of the Kinect in the bedroom will differ from the height in the family room (different size TVs, different entertainment centers, etc).

It's not necessary to do all this (and honestly is a bit excessive) but if you want the most accuracy, you do it. Also, if you wear glasses sometimes but contacts other times, run the Kinect ID with both your glasses on and off. The more images the database has, the more accurate it is. I've even run the KinectID with my wireless headset on and with it off.

However, we don't know the limit so don't go crazy and take a zillion pictures because the newer pictures you take may overwrite the old pictures. Take the pictures that will be most common for that person.

If you've ever used photo recognition software like Picasa or Windows Live Photo Gallery, you know that the more pictures it takes, the more accurate it is at identification.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
    12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
    If you need to have a long cable run between your Kinect and your Xbox 360 such as with projector room setups, you're going to need an active USB extension cable. the key word is ACTIVE. you cannot use a passive cable as passive cables can be no longer than 6 feet for full reliability. the cheapest place to buy them is at monoprice.com.

Note that you're going to need a Kinect power supply in this situation regardless of whether your have a 360 (the old one) or the 360S (the newer one). The reason is Microsoft did not bundle a power supply for the 360S/Kinect packages because they assumed that you would use the 360S AUX cable and connect directly to a 360S that is near the Kinect. But since you would be using a USB extension cable, you'll be using USB rather than the AUX cable (just like how regular 360 systems use Kinect via USB).

[Image: en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Power_Supply_3VJ-00001.png]
    So you would plug the Kinect into the female end of the power supply. Then connect the male end to the active USB cable which then runs to the other side of the room where your 360 is.

So if you bought a 360/Kinect bundle (which doesn't come with the power supply), you will have to buy a power supply from Microsoft or try out a risky fake power supply.

here's a 16 ft cable:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
    [Image: 87511.jpg]

here's a 32 ft cable:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
    [Image: 61491.jpg]

they also have 49 ft, 65 ft, and 82 ft cables that are kinect compatible.

if you want alternatives to what monoprice has, there's the IOGear USB 2.0 Active Boost Extension (39 feet) which is known to work as well.

if you're going outside these cables and hunting on your own, make sure the cable is active and make sure it's a USB 2.0 cable.

if you want more information, there's 4 threads on the subject at avsforum.com Xbox subforum which is where I go for all my audio/video questions.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
      [video] How to setup Kinect Clemens 3 3,096 11-28-2010 10:43 AM
    Last Post: Allen
      Kinect Room size setup Clemens 11 5,248 11-19-2010 04:30 AM
    Last Post: Terrin