We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect Sports Season 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kinect Sports Season 2
08-20-2011, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2011 07:54 AM by dirtyvu.)
Kinect Sports Season 2

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2011, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2011 08:54 AM by dirtyvu.)
RE: Kinect Sports Season 2

I wonder how season 2 will go since the sports are decidedly more American...

plus, it appears Rare (being English, I suppose) doesn't play much baseball. Yes, in countries such as Japan, you slide at first base. But Americans run through first base.

But at least the camera work on the run to first base seems exciting. and the batting seems good.

08-27-2011, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2011 11:34 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Kinect Sports Season 2
(08-27-2011 08:49 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  I wonder how season 2 will go since the sports are decidedly more American...

plus, it appears Rare (being English, I suppose) doesn't play much baseball. Yes, in countries such as Japan, you slide at first base. But Americans run through first base.

But at least the camera work on the run to first base seems exciting. and the batting seems good.

Only 2 of the sports, baseball and American football, are American. Golf and darts are supposed to be British inventions (golf was supposed to have been invented in Scotland although recently the Chinese claim to have invented it and have old paintings or something as evidence) and I don't know if tennis was invented in Britain (I think modern tennis was) but Wimbledon is the most famous tennis tournament. Skiing is more north European-centric. Also Big Park Studios are co-developing this with Rare and they're American.
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
the other events are global. but baseball and football are distinctly American. considering that there's not a lot of events in Kinect Sports, putting a couple that basically only Americans play seems a bit odd. though I personally love it because football is my favorite sport. and baseball is fun to play (though boring to watch).

09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
IGN just released a new preview for Kinect Sports Season 2 and it's positive.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1194595p1.html

But of course, IGN's been known to give a positive preview and then slam the game in a review. So who knows what's going to happen.

09-16-2011, 01:07 AM
(09-15-2011 10:14 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  IGN just released a new preview for Kinect Sports Season 2 and it's positive.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1194595p1.html

But of course, IGN's been known to give a positive preview and then slam the game in a review. So who knows what's going to happen.

Well everybody is giving Kinect Sports 2 good previews so I don't think we have to worry about it not being good, lol! Although I was a bit worried about the preview of American football saying that they've removed all the receiver's moves except running. Confused I'm hoping that was just the easiest difficulty level or MS just removed them for that demo for some reason.
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2011 10:48 PM by Mrzocor.)
(08-27-2011 08:49 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  

Here comes the next swinger? Sounds pretty bad if you ask me. All it is is a Nintendo game. What does the batter disappear before he hits for?
09-19-2011, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 08:45 AM by dirtyvu.)
skiing sample

(09-18-2011 10:43 PM)Mrzocor Wrote:  

Here comes the next swinger? Sounds pretty bad if you ask me. All it is is a Nintendo game. What does the batter disappear before he hits for?

the reason the batter disappears is that it's simulating the first-person perspective. you can't see your own body.

09-20-2011, 04:29 AM
RE: skiing sample
(09-19-2011 08:39 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  

(09-18-2011 10:43 PM)Mrzocor Wrote:  

the reason the batter disappears is that it's simulating the first-person perspective. you can't see your own body.

The purpose of Kinect is to show body movements. Defeats the purpose of it doesn't it? I'd rather see my whole body swinging the bat!
any one that knows anything about Kinect all would rather see that.
09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Virtua Tennis 4 did this as well, you start in 3rd person over the shoulder then it switched to 1st person. In my opinion, it's more natural and better. Think of any of the events in KS1, I've had a few times where the translucent avatar was blocking my view.

[Image: thezeeman.png]
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2011 10:55 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: skiing sample
(09-20-2011 04:29 AM)Mrzocor Wrote:  The purpose of Kinect is to show body movements. Defeats the purpose of it doesn't it? I'd rather see my whole body swinging the bat!
any one that knows anything about Kinect all would rather see that.

The purpose of Kinect is to track body movements, it doesn't matter what's graphically shown on screen. First-person makes sense for baseball because you want to see the ball coming at you head-on and have the same sort of view of it as you would in real life. A first-person view is more immersive and is best for certain games, for example Rise Of Nightmares probably wouldn't give you the same experience if it was third-person.
Here's a new interview with Rare. It's mainly Kinect Sports 2 focused but this part pretty much confirms that Rare is working on a Kinect version of at least one of their previous franchises:

Quote:Will Rare return to the likes of Perfect Dark or Banjo Kazooie any time in the future?

Our obsession right now is how we're going to push the boundaries with Kinect. I'm not going to talk much beyond Kinect Sports right now, but we're very fortunate to have the back catalogue that we do, so stay tuned for more news in the future.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/09/interview_rares.html
09-27-2011, 11:56 PM

09-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Hmm looks like rare cured the batting issue with hands behind the head. Not sure what 2K's problem is hopefully they get the same results.

09-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Information RE: Kinect Sports Season 2
(09-28-2011 12:58 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm looks like rare cured the batting issue with hands behind the head. Not sure what 2K's problem is hopefully they get the same results.

Well if your hands go behind your head Kinect can't see them and has to predict where they are. I'm guessing Rare did it by programming Kinect to work that out from the rest of the arms.

I hope they fix the lag on the skiing, that looked at least 250ms if not more. Undecided
09-28-2011, 04:41 AM
True, it was probably that simple, being that both games were more geared for kids maybe they didn't care. I'm really hoping 2K is working on the next MLB to use kinect with, a real baseball game would be awesome. I tried playing a season with the controller and it took me like 4 months. It would probably even take longer with Kinect which I'm really hoping they aren't considering that a problem as realistically all we need is one baseball game and they can update rosters for next year Tongue

I don't take video lag into account, so many cameras have so many different factors. I think KS has the least amount of lag out of em all so it will probably fine, they are one of the ones that know what they are doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Motion Sports Adrenaline first impressions wiggadun 6 416 10-31-2011 09:00 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Kinect Sports Leaderboards legreffer 8 34,885 10-29-2011 08:52 AM
Last Post: OMLeung
  Kinect Sports Leaderboards Archive mcb1ake 205 21,280 10-13-2011 04:55 PM
Last Post: legreffer
  Kinect Sports Easter Eggs, Tips & Tricks legreffer 30 13,167 10-10-2011 01:06 AM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  New Kinect sports game has me excited. ProjectNatalFan 1 667 09-16-2011 03:22 AM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  Kinect Sports Leagues ropeman 10 3,448 08-25-2011 12:30 AM
Last Post: REDMOTH076