everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect distance- the opposite problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
So I have the opposite problem with kinect and space. I have too much room and I constantly am getting the thing that tells me to move up. The only problem is that it is having me move up toward a projector screen. I don't care who you are, but 6-10 feet away from a 110" screen makes the screen look huge and overwhelming. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the range of the Kinect play area? I would like to mount the kinect on the wall, but currently I have to have the kinect setting on a table about 5-6 feet on the wall to be a comfortable distance from the screen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Information RE: Kinect distance- the opposite problem
(06-16-2011 11:46 PM)amillermba Wrote:  So I have the opposite problem with kinect and space. I have too much room and I constantly am getting the thing that tells me to move up. The only problem is that it is having me move up toward a projector screen. I don't care who you are, but 6-10 feet away from a 110" screen makes the screen look huge and overwhelming. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the range of the Kinect play area? I would like to mount the kinect on the wall, but currently I have to have the kinect setting on a table about 5-6 feet on the wall to be a comfortable distance from the screen.

Can't you just move the table closer to you or put Kinect on some kind of stand closer to you? It's the distance from Kinect that matters, not the distance from the TV. (Although if you had a small TV then being far away from it could be a problem.)
06-17-2011, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 01:19 AM by Clemens.)
RE: Kinect distance- the opposite problem
It sounds like you could use the floor stand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?i...ive=390957

Maybe in combination with the extension cable, which, if you're from the US has been extremely discounted to like $10.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2011, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 03:38 AM by amillermba.)
Quote:Can't you just move the table closer to you or put Kinect on some kind of stand closer to you? It's the distance from Kinect that matters, not the distance from the TV. (Although if you had a small TV then being far away from it could be a problem.)

Yes, I could... And that is what I did to set it all up and test it and such. I was looking for a more permanent solution as everything is in the basement and the basement is where we lock the dogs up when we aren't home (can you say expensive chew toy?) and I didn't want my daughter getting too excited and breaking it. So I opted to attach it to the split level in my drop ceiling (my ceiling is at a lower level around my HVAC ducts and then rises to a higher level). It actually works surprisingly well. I'll post some pictures once I get my jerry-rigged wood contraption all painted. It sits about 7 feet high too, so I was surprised that it functioned so well considering how high. So, it works on an adult, I just have to test it on my 5 year old tomorrow (fingers crossed). The remaining question is that when mounted, the kinect sits at its lowest tilt. So I wonder if I moved it back closer to the wall if it would adversely affect the play area. I moved it forward (away from wall) about a foot and a half from where I had it setting on the table because I read that a lot of people saw their play area distance shrink when it was up higher (the diagonal distance caused your play area to start closer to the screen than if it was straight in front of you).
06-17-2011, 03:46 AM
You might have problems with it 7ft up, although it should actually make it better not worse if you move it further back as it wouldn't tilt down as much. (Better than how you currently have it, not better than normal.)
06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
(06-17-2011 03:46 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  You might have problems with it 7ft up, although it should actually make it better not worse if you move it further back as it wouldn't tilt down as much. (Better than how you currently have it, not better than normal.)

Yah, I was trying to decide in my head if it was tilted all the way down because it was trying to find the floor or to view us playing. If it is tilted all the way down to find the floor, then it won't matter where I put it as it will be always tilted all the way down. So moving it, in theory, would only change the location (Front to back) of the "best" play area. I have noticed in the few games I have (Dance Central, Kinectimals, and Kinect Adventures) that the play area varies a lot between games with Kinectimals seeming to have a very deep play area (I was able to stand a moderately comfortable distance and be within the playing area on kinectimals vs. kinect adventures was yelling at me every time I turned around.
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
(06-17-2011 03:55 AM)amillermba Wrote:  
(06-17-2011 03:46 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  You might have problems with it 7ft up, although it should actually make it better not worse if you move it further back as it wouldn't tilt down as much. (Better than how you currently have it, not better than normal.)

Yah, I was trying to decide in my head if it was tilted all the way down because it was trying to find the floor or to view us playing. If it is tilted all the way down to find the floor, then it won't matter where I put it as it will be always tilted all the way down. So moving it, in theory, would only change the location (Front to back) of the "best" play area. I have noticed in the few games I have (Dance Central, Kinectimals, and Kinect Adventures) that the play area varies a lot between games with Kinectimals seeming to have a very deep play area (I was able to stand a moderately comfortable distance and be within the playing area on kinectimals vs. kinect adventures was yelling at me every time I turned around.

Well the play area depends on 2 things, whether the game requires full body tracking (which means you have to stand at least the recommended distance from Kinect) or it's just tracking your hands or upper body so you can stand closer, and also how big the play area is in the game itself so like a game where you have to move around a lot obviously requires more space than a game where you're just standing on the spot. (Like Kinect Sports' table tennis or beach volleyball compared to bowling.)
06-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Here is what ended up being my solution. The Kinect sensor is 6'11" off the ground. I ended up slanting the 2x4 that the Kinect attaches to so that on the downward angle to the floor, the Kinect is in the straight forward position. So far, it works great. I guess only time will tell. We'll see how it works when my 5 year old has her best friend over and the two of them are playing.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-20-2011, 09:57 AM
(06-18-2011 01:11 AM)amillermba Wrote:  Here is what ended up being my solution. The Kinect sensor is 6'11" off the ground. I ended up slanting the 2x4 that the Kinect attaches to so that on the downward angle to the floor, the Kinect is in the straight forward position. So far, it works great. I guess only time will tell. We'll see how it works when my 5 year old has her best friend over and the two of them are playing.

Wow, looks good! But where's the TV? Tongue

06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
(06-20-2011 09:57 AM)Clemens Wrote:  
(06-18-2011 01:11 AM)amillermba Wrote:  Here is what ended up being my solution. The Kinect sensor is 6'11" off the ground. I ended up slanting the 2x4 that the Kinect attaches to so that on the downward angle to the floor, the Kinect is in the straight forward position. So far, it works great. I guess only time will tell. We'll see how it works when my 5 year old has her best friend over and the two of them are playing.

They've got a got a projector. I'm guessing everything's positioned OK so that the projector doesn't affect Kinect.
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
(06-20-2011 09:33 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  

They've got a got a projector. I'm guessing everything's positioned OK so that the projector doesn't affect Kinect.

Here's a pic that he posted in another thread:
https://123kinect.com/kinect-forums/attac...hp?aid=341

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM

The projector and the kinect are at the same level and they both point at a downward angle. So while their beams cross like a V there is no direct light on the kinect.
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
(06-21-2011 04:21 PM)amillermba Wrote:  

The projector and the kinect are at the same level and they both point at a downward angle. So while their beams cross like a V there is no direct light on the kinect.

That's smart thinking, cool !

06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh well... Whatever you gotta do to make it work, right? Because it is so worth it when it works Smile.
06-26-2011, 08:47 PM
and the kinect being more to the left of the screen doesnt effect game play?

When i play table tenis lets say in kinect sports sometimes i need to adjust my kinect so that its not pointing too much to one side. in bowling and other accuracy games seems like it would mess it up beacause i assumed you need to bowl directly straight at the kinect sensor.

sooo do you have to be standing infront of the kinect and watching the game to the right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Distance Mrzocor 8 1,968 11-29-2011 01:39 AM
Last Post: kineticx
  KinectID problem Crraigan 8 1,390 11-17-2011 08:48 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Getting on Xbox.com website problem meistroracer 3 2,923 06-05-2011 01:33 PM
Last Post: Clemens
  Kinect Table Tennis problem fonejackerjon 3 3,279 01-03-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: HazyCloud