We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect fantastic, but xbox 360 slim problems. Help please!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi, First day on kinect for christmas and love kinect sports. Played for several hours and worn out from playing. Kinect fighters uncaged was surprisingly accurate although only had one fight, so may need to test more complicated moves first. In the end kinect sports football has to be the best and I'm now playing champion, although being a goalkeeper on that is sooooooo hard and I conceeded loads of goals. Just luckily scored more lol.

However, I also got the following problem with my slim xbox 360 when playing grand theft auto 4 for 15 minutes, and then again after turning xbox 360 on and off again after 5 minutes.

I get grey vertical lines down the screen. Green light on xbox 360 and power brick, but not kinect during the time this error occured.

I've got plenty room around the console, so overheating shouldn't be an issue. I did not get any overheating screen or anything like that. The first time the grey lines were on top of the screen of the game, and the second time it was just a different shade of grey behind the lines and no game footage.

Please help.

I will test to see if it is just GTA 4, but just in case I thought I'd check the issue with you guys.

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
RE: Kinect fantastic, but xbox 360 slim problems. Help please!!!!
(12-25-2010 06:43 PM)ywith Wrote:  Hi, First day on kinect for christmas and love kinect sports. Played for several hours and worn out from playing. Kinect fighters uncaged was surprisingly accurate although only had one fight, so may need to test more complicated moves first. In the end kinect sports football has to be the best and I'm now playing champion, although being a goalkeeper on that is sooooooo hard and I conceeded loads of goals. Just luckily scored more lol.

However, I also got the following problem with my slim xbox 360 when playing grand theft auto 4 for 15 minutes, and then again after turning xbox 360 on and off again after 5 minutes.

I get grey vertical lines down the screen. Green light on xbox 360 and power brick, but not kinect during the time this error occured.

I've got plenty room around the console, so overheating shouldn't be an issue. I did not get any overheating screen or anything like that. The first time the grey lines were on top of the screen of the game, and the second time it was just a different shade of grey behind the lines and no game footage.

Please help.

I will test to see if it is just GTA 4, but just in case I thought I'd check the issue with you guys.

Did the game update when you played it for the fist time? I remember there were a couple of patches for the GTA 4 some of which fixed some graphical issues. Not sure if it's related to your problem, but it's the only thing I can think of off top of my head.
12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Happened again today. Think it might be a heat issue. Tried in both orientations of horizontal and vertical. Both times the problem occured with disk games rather than game installs. Also newer games like the kinect games seem to be fine, maybe because the newer games are designed with the slim hardware in mind.

Will do game installs for all my games and see if that solves the problem.

Do Xbox's run cooler with game installs rather than using disks?

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
12-26-2010, 09:52 PM
I hate to say it, but it may be an issue with your Xbox's video card. It has nothing to do with newer games or what console you're using. Let us know what else you come across.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
12-27-2010, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 04:15 AM by ywith.)
Well, it definately seems to be temperature based as when the door to the room had been left open and the room had got cold over night it could be played for hours, but as soon as my parents put the central heating on (it is not near a heat source though) and i have to take off my jumper the console starts struggling.

It happened on fable 2 when the room was hot playing from disk and after about 5 hours plus gameplay. I turned the console on and off again and then without letting cool down or rest I tested with modern warfare 2 and prey and same problem within minutes. I've since given the console an hour to cool down and I've installed fable now, GTA 4 and fifa 11 and both those games seem to be fine playing for a couple hours. Modern warfare 2 I think is the disk though because that is preowned and it froze on the exact same point twice regardless of time playing, so that might be an unfair test game.

Does the console run cooler when not running from the disk. I know whenever I'm playing a DVD from my disk drive on my laptop it gets hotter than BBC iplayer (UK equivalent of Hulu for BBC). So thought the disk may make warmer. Also I've heard the game is compressed on the xbox 360 disks so a lot of work goes into uncompressing on the fly, so installing would decompress the files surely so that would mean less work for the console.

I'm going to run a test of playing a lot with only game installs and still have heating on to see if overheating or disk drive issue.

The problem is never there when I first turn the console on in the morning and play for the first 4 or 5 hours. So it may just be because its christmas and I'm playing it a lot at the moment. (13 hours on christmas day of kinect and a couple hours of other games, which I know is excessive).

I just don't understand why I don't get the message of system needs to shut down if it gets too hot though.

The image does have 'artifacts' similar to picture link below.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources...zingup.JPG

However, the lines are not dotted and only once has the game image been visible behind hand instead it is grey behind hand instead.

Any suggestions or tips please let me know.

12-27-2010, 05:41 PM
I've known a few people who have had fan issues with them. If it's new then just take it back and get a replacement while you can, don't wait. If it's not then try blowing out the back where the fan is. If nothing else you can by an after market fan that attaches to the back of the Xbox to help keep it cooler, if you can't return it then this might be your best option.
12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
don't even try to diagnose it. if it's a brand new console, just replace it at the store.
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Agreed with dirty, also I always have though used the additional fan for cooling by Nyko as mine is enclosed. It would be this one, don't know if its available where you are at:

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-det...28Black%29

I don't know if it works on the slim though.....

[Image: thezeeman.png]
12-27-2010, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 08:13 PM by ywith.)
No problems at all today. Been running soley off the hard-drive though, but room has been relatively cool. So at least I've narrowed it down to 2 things - either disk drive or temperature. It is not game related. It is new. Brought it in November on kinect launch date for christmas, so still got practically all of 2011 for the guarantee. Emailed shop I got it from too to tell them the problem.

The things I have changed are: I've done game installs for all games I'm playing, the room is not quite as hot, Raised the horizontal position off by a cm or so off the table with a wire rack you would use too allow bread to cool lol. Even though no vents underneath, thought the general draft might help.

If it happens again even with game installs I'm definitely taking it back after the new year. I am reluctant to take it back if it is something that is with all the xboxes though and I'd just get the same problem with a new one playing off disk in a hot room, as I've seen youtube video of the exact same thing with someone playing a game and they said its just too close to their wii. Can't find the video now though.

I just wish it would have come up with, console is too hot it needs to shut down message, as then I know the hardware is protected and then its only a convenience. Its more worrying when you don't get any error message and it happens.

I personally have a belief that the older pre-slim games struggle as not made exactly for the hardware even if microsoft say it is still compatible with older games, the different combined chip etc (even if running same speed) will all work differently.

I think it may be similar to my laptop if it played a DVD for 8 hours solid it would prob go kaput and freeze.

PS. All your feedback has been much appreciated. Any other ideas let me know and I will keep you posted on how it is going.

12-27-2010, 10:11 PM
(12-27-2010 08:12 PM)ywith Wrote:  No problems at all today. Been running soley off the hard-drive though, but room has been relatively cool. So at least I've narrowed it down to 2 things - either disk drive or temperature. It is not game related. It is new. Brought it in November on kinect launch date for christmas, so still got practically all of 2011 for the guarantee. Emailed shop I got it from too to tell them the problem.

The things I have changed are: I've done game installs for all games I'm playing, the room is not quite as hot, Raised the horizontal position off by a cm or so off the table with a wire rack you would use too allow bread to cool lol. Even though no vents underneath, thought the general draft might help.

If it happens again even with game installs I'm definitely taking it back after the new year. I am reluctant to take it back if it is something that is with all the xboxes though and I'd just get the same problem with a new one playing off disk in a hot room, as I've seen youtube video of the exact same thing with someone playing a game and they said its just too close to their wii. Can't find the video now though.

I just wish it would have come up with, console is too hot it needs to shut down message, as then I know the hardware is protected and then its only a convenience. Its more worrying when you don't get any error message and it happens.

I personally have a belief that the older pre-slim games struggle as not made exactly for the hardware even if microsoft say it is still compatible with older games, the different combined chip etc (even if running same speed) will all work differently.

I think it may be similar to my laptop if it played a DVD for 8 hours solid it would prob go kaput and freeze.

PS. All your feedback has been much appreciated. Any other ideas let me know and I will keep you posted on how it is going.

The new 360-S only has a 1 year warranty because they're really comfortable with its failure rates. It does run a lot cooler internally (though it may be hard to tell because the newer design is better at releasing the internal heat than the older consoles were) and is a lot quieter as well. You should be able to run with either a disc or the hard drive. So return it to the store ASAP. Don't try to manage the problem. It's better to nip this in the bud right now when you have the store available rather than going through MS customer support and having to deal with shipping it. Sometimes you get a rotten apple. doesn't mean the whole batch is bad.

It has nothing to do with an old game on a new system. some games push the 360 harder than other games. while the kinect games are great, they don't particularly push the 360 hardware that hard. most of the graphics are pretty simple compared to something like gears of war 2. I know quite a few people with the new 360-S and none of them have the problems you're having.

I have my older Jasper 360s and I have zero worry about them failing. They run pretty cool and I've left them on over night before. And I have a 3 year warranty with them.
12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Never use the Nyko coolers. They have been known to cause issues as they drain power from the 360 that it needs to run efficiently.

12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
(12-28-2010 04:03 PM)HazyCloud Wrote:  Never use the Nyko coolers. They have been known to cause issues as they drain power from the 360 that it needs to run efficiently.

Really? I've had mine since the new one with its own power came out like many years ago TongueI haven't had any issues with it. The bearings are finally starting to go on it though...

12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
(12-28-2010 06:45 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  
(12-28-2010 04:03 PM)HazyCloud Wrote:  Never use the Nyko coolers. They have been known to cause issues as they drain power from the 360 that it needs to run efficiently.

Really? I've had mine since the new one with its own power came out like many years ago TongueI haven't had any issues with it. The bearings are finally starting to go on it though...

That's good to know that it has its own power. I wasn't aware of that. Still don't trust Nyko though. Smile

12-28-2010, 07:47 PM
LOL Yeah the first one didn't have a power supply and used the juice from the 360, it didn't last long, and it only had 2 fans, the new one has 3 and its own power supply, it works great, I know it definitely extended the life TongueWith the first one attached my xbox did die after like a year, so far (knock on wood) no issues except I have to do a cleaning of the drive every 6 months or so because my wonderful cats like to get their hair all in there Tongue

12-28-2010, 08:11 PM
(12-28-2010 07:47 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  LOL Yeah the first one didn't have a power supply and used the juice from the 360, it didn't last long, and it only had 2 fans, the new one has 3 and its own power supply, it works great, I know it definitely extended the life TongueWith the first one attached my xbox did die after like a year, so far (knock on wood) no issues except I have to do a cleaning of the drive every 6 months or so because my wonderful cats like to get their hair all in there Tongue

That's cool that it works for you. Nyko isn't a brand that has had a good track record. Same goes for Mad Catz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information Microsoft Looking For Producers For Xbox 360 & Next Gen Exclusives Corellianrogue 0 294 11-26-2011 06:19 AM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  I'm so silly! Getting used to the Xbox and kinect. ywith 4 2,949 12-27-2010 07:48 PM
Last Post: ywith
  [Engadget.com] Kinect for Xbox 360 Review Dre 10 3,617 12-07-2010 09:55 AM
Last Post: Clemens
Information [Info] Xbox Live Gamertag can be added to your profile! Clemens 0 2,349 11-02-2010 06:40 PM
Last Post: Clemens