We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect fantastic, but xbox 360 slim problems. Help please!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Kinect fantastic, but xbox 360 slim problems. Help please!!!!
12-28-2010, 10:12 PM
RE: Kinect fantastic, but xbox 360 slim problems. Help please!!!!
Yeah Mad Catz I have always had issues with TongueBut I do have to say the Nyko Intercooler is the only Nyko product I've purchased...I think at one time for original xbox I bought that controller that had the fans in it, no idea why lol but I remember that wasn't a very good product Tongue

[Image: TheZeeMan]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Sounds about right. Smile

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
12-31-2010, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2010 02:19 AM by ywith.)
Update guys. I had No problems since boxing day and been playing all day (4 hours then a break totally 8-10 hours or so a day) with no problems whatsoever. Been playing fifa 11, kinect sports, fable 2, assassins creed off hard-drive and gears of war 2 and fighters uncaged off disk with no issues since the christmas day and boxing day problem. Spoke to the guys at gamestation anyway and showed them a pic of the problem yesterday while I was in there and they said since no error code, insufficient ventilation message, or red light errors it is unlikely to be hardware and is probably a game glitch.

So I went through the list of games I played and in what order before the problem arose as I infact played fifa 11 on day before christmas eve as kinect was the christmas day present, but I was very bored in the few days before christmas. lol. And I played fifa for 8 or so hours straight and no problem, although after about 5 hours I installed to get quicker loading times. So clearly the error was something that happened on christmas day. Although the game did freeze on GTA 4 and that is the problem I have reported on here, I had an hour or so before been previously playing call of duty modern warefare 2 that I got off ebay second hand and it had frozen within 10 minutes of playing the first mission after training, however, since it was a badly scratched disk and you take that risk on ebay then I didn't think much of it and I was more concerned by the fact the brand new sealed GTA 4 game had frozen and forgotten about COD freezing before.

So I thought I'd test the theory and see if it is indeed COD that started the problem and having only had the console on for 20 minutes before putting the game in, I got a little further than 10 minutes, but the game froze twice as expected as disk was scratched. So I tried a game install and it froze at 18% and wouldn't go any further.

I then put another game in (gears of war 2 and ran off disk and game froze straight away). I let cool down and ran kinect sports off hard-drive install and that played fine for about an hour before freezing.

I've turned my console off and left it until morning, but I'm confident now that

For everyone who thinks I am nuts not to take the console back to the shop straight away, I have 9 months on the guarentee left so there is plenty of time to take the console back and get a new one if the problem doesn't resolve itself or I can't fix the problem. The reason why I haven't just taken it back is that I'd like to find out what is causing the problem first before starting all over again with a new console as usually these sorts of problems happen with more than one person and not just one bad piece of hardware. I remember my touchpad on my macbook pro stopped working with no error messages or anything on 4 finger gestures and 3 finger gestures within a week of getting it, and all it needed was a P-RAM reset (basically clearing the RAM memory by pressing a couple of keys on startup for a few seconds) and it has never in the next year given me a single problem since. Again same with my iphone that suddenly stopped working and became unresponsive and I was on the phone to O2 ready to get a new one and it just needed a hard-reset by holding home key and power button and has been fine ever since.

In the meantime with all the messages telling me the graphics chip must be fried or my console is about to die, I thought I better look into it and used the online help thing on microsoft for game glitches and I seem to be doing everything right with the console well ventilated etc. The only thing I haven't tried is clearing the cache. Which I think I will give a go, but I know I'll lose my forza motorsport 3 ultimate edition cars, but not too fussed about that really if it fixes my console - besides getting a new console would mean I lost that anyway.

Would someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the cache will be the temporary files from the games that are stored there, but are overwritten when other games are played etc. Therefore, my glitchy CODMW2 could be leaving crappy code in the cache and freezing the console. As I've played other games through the week the cache has been overwritten and problem has gone. Playing the game again has caused the problem again.

Alternatively the trouble trying to read the disk is causing heat and overheating the console.

Anyway, anyone think clearing the cache is worth a shot to try solve the problem? As I don't want the hastle of being without my console over the christmas holidays at the moment, rather send it off when too busy to play it. lol
PS. done cache clear now. So will see if not playing MW2 disk means no problems from now on. Will keep informed in case others have similar problems in future.

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
12-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Happened again so got just console replaced, but not kinect sensor so will see how i get on with this one.

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
12-31-2010, 05:55 PM
(12-31-2010 04:54 PM)ywith Wrote:  Happened again so got just console replaced, but not kinect sensor so will see how i get on with this one.

Smart move WinkIf it happens again I'm going to think that you are being haunted Sad
01-01-2011, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2011 07:27 PM by ywith.)
(12-31-2010 05:55 PM)ambushbug Wrote:  
(12-31-2010 04:54 PM)ywith Wrote:  Happened again so got just console replaced, but not kinect sensor so will see how i get on with this one.

Smart move WinkIf it happens again I'm going to think that you are being haunted Sad

Just migrated user profiles over of other family members from
Usb saved from
Old xbox and went to turn on tutorials in kinect sports football so could show mum how to play and it came up with disk cannot be read and need to clean disk. Took out and blew on disk and it froze on same part when game put in again. So gave disk a clean and was ok turning it off.

Going to install all my games now as last thing i want is disk read errors. My conclusion is that xboxes are very tempremental. Its silly as i always take good care of my gadgets and disks with no fingerprints and some of the way i see others take care of their hardware is ridiculous and they have no problems.

Will let you know if the old problem returns, which it hasnt on the new box as that freeze went when i cleaned the disk. Nice way to start the new year though. Lol.

Can software glitches from harddrive of old console cause problems on the new one as a bit worried now. It was a brand new usb and only ever plugged into my old xbox before. Console is not hacked or anything and only downloads are via xbox live reedeem codes and game installs. Am i being paranoid?

01-07-2011, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 10:23 PM by watchmefly420.)
(12-27-2010 05:41 PM)ambushbug Wrote:  I've known a few people who have had fan issues with them. If it's new then just take it back and get a replacement while you can, don't wait. If it's not then try blowing out the back where the fan is. If nothing else you can by an after market fan that attaches to the back of the Xbox to help keep it cooler, if you can't return it then this might be your best option.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT get these aftermarket fans they steal power from console and inject more dust into your console (trust me ive seen 3 xboxs die because of these, 2 of which were mine) ive had my slim since the launch date and had many of all night call of duty and halo secessions( im talkin 24 hrs + on reach launch date) and havent had any problems id contact xbox and ask some question while it still under warranty so you dont have to pay to get it fixed
[/quote]

Just migrated user profiles over of other family members from
Usb saved from
Old xbox and went to turn on tutorials in kinect sports football so could show mum how to play and it came up with disk cannot be read and need to clean disk. Took out and blew on disk and it froze on same part when game put in again. So gave disk a clean and was ok turning it off.

Going to install all my games now as last thing i want is disk read errors. My conclusion is that xboxes are very tempremental. Its silly as i always take good care of my gadgets and disks with no fingerprints and some of the way i see others take care of their hardware is ridiculous and they have no problems.
Can software glitches from harddrive of old console cause problems on the new one as a bit worried now. It was a brand new usb and only ever plugged into my old xbox before. Console is not hacked or anything and only downloads are via xbox live reedeem codes and game installs. Am i being paranoid?
[/quote]

sounds like you might have gotten a bad game cause i been playing kinect since launch never had to install any games to hard drive just play from disk. i haven't had any problems maybe try renting a copy and trying that then contact game company about an exchange
Also are you playing games from a official xbox usb or a standard usb portable hard drive cause not all usb hard drive give the best results when playing from the usbs memory space
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Assassins creed froze yesterday and today. Console not hot, just turned off and put on again. Recall this is a different console as i got old one replaced.

I play all games off hard drive as standard now anyway except halo 3 to keep console cool and run cooler and this froze off hard drive so disk not a prob and game new. Updates were downloaded.

Both happened after a big leap that should have killed me, but not been pursued, so think might be a game bug. Played for an hour after freeze straight away and no freeze.

No strange lines or artefacts this console though.

I have come to think that xboxes are buggy in general no matter what console, typical microsoft. Its no worse than a windows pc though for freezing at the moment.

Think ive been spoilt with apple products of late.

I do enjoy my new xbox replacement though and think its good. Newer games are less glitchy in my opinion.

I think the free open worlds games have a tendency to freeze.

At least i know its software, not hardware issues now unless there is a new hardware failure issue with slims waiting to raise its ugly head

01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
(01-11-2011 08:11 PM)ywith Wrote:  I have come to think that xboxes are buggy in general no matter what console, typical microsoft. Its no worse than a windows pc though for freezing at the moment.

It's actually not the xbox unless it is a hardware problem. Typically, developers rush these games out, hence the need for patches, some completely bypass QA/Testing just to get it out the door (cough Deca sports cough) but I have had numerous games freeze up randomly. As of late, AC Brotherhood froze up once, EASA 2 froze up once and one other game, don't remember.

Unless the devs get a ton of complaints about it, they usually don't fix it as they are already working on their next release even before finishing up the current game to be released. It's really annoying, the gaming industry is just a demanding market as none of us want to wait, yet I do think all these new kinect games are getting pushed back due to the fact they don't want people to hate kinect nor xbox because of issues and they are actually taking their time to make quality games again.

[Image: TheZeeMan]
01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks zeeman. Obviously the old console issue had artefacts and blocks of the screen were black rather than the image, so I know something was up there, but this freeze seems just like a game freeze I'd get on windows where its almost like its paused and no game picture changes.

When Fifa 11 froze and big black block was the final straw with the old xbox (well week old xbox - previous xbox slim might be more appropriate) as I know that is probably one of the most tested games to find glitches purely by the fact that the game is updated every year and there are only minor changes made each time, maybe a bit of an update to ball mechanics here and there, but they only happen every couple of seasons and the fifa 11 update is basically the same as fifa 10 with the new player updates.

I moved my xbox to the upright vertical position rather than horizontal just in case as this seems to be how microsoft intends you to play with the xbox even if it involves slightly restricted flow to the bottom vent. Since all games are being played off hard-drive the additional work of playing disk upright argument i had before seem to null and void. Probably just paranoid, but the thing is running very cool anyway. So not much of an issue, besides the fan of the xbox i think is designed to expel air better to the right of the console rather than above as any dust doesn't fall back into the fan. However, the dust will be pulled into the top vent instead now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  check out this kinect boxing match xbox live. Jersmall 10 294 05-13-2011 07:27 PM
Last Post: Jersmall
  You cannot play Yoostar 2 on Xbox 4G mojoman8693 6 843 05-10-2011 05:37 AM
Last Post: slmraiders
  Fantastic Pets dirtyvu 1 449 04-12-2011 04:10 PM
Last Post: HazyCloud
  Windows Phone 7 will soon Kinect with Xbox james32985 1 583 02-22-2011 03:48 AM
Last Post: legreffer
  I'm so silly! Getting used to the Xbox and kinect. ywith 4 794 12-27-2010 07:48 PM
Last Post: ywith
  [Engadget.com] Kinect for Xbox 360 Review Dre 10 1,147 12-07-2010 09:55 AM
Last Post: Clemens