Xbox Kinect

/ / /

[Kinectimals] Review: Best show of the kinect yet! [8/10]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
11-05-2010, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2010 12:30 PM by Clemens.)
Kinectimals

[Image: Kinectimals.jpg]
  • Official site Kinectimals
  • Developer: Frontier Developments
  • Genre: Digital Pet
  • Modes: Challenge, Multiplayer, Simulation
  • Players: 4
  • Online Features: Achievements
  • Kinect Features: 1-4 Player, Object Scanning, Voice Enabled
  • Kinect Activity Level: Active
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Kids

Kinectimals - The good
  • Really shows off the true potential of the kinect technology
  • Graphics are amazingly realistic
  • Tons of stuff for kids to do, will keep them busy for days, not hours

Kinectimals - The not so good
  • The only thing which I don't know if it's a bad thing, the pets are all "cubs" of some sort, maybe a variety of different animals?

Kinectimals - Kinect experience
This game takes Kinect to the full potential as far as I can tell. I was amazed at what it was having me do and it detecting everything perfectly!

Kinectimals - Graphics
The graphics are excellent. You can see the fur on the animals, and its so realistic. They also get the screen dirty, lick it and other stuff, and you can see all of this in detail. It's excellent.

Kinectimals - Gameplay
Honestly, it's a kids game. But I wanted to try it. Smile

I am amazed by what it shows you what the kinect can do. I haven't played any other title using the technology it does, YET, but it is very cool to know its out there.

When you first start, it has you choose a pet. I chose one, you can name it if you want for later you can call it by name and it'll come out and play. Kind of cool stuff there. But where I was amazed was with the tricks you have to teach it. First, simple trick, jump. When you jump, it jumps. Nothing big there.

Next, spin. You have to actually spin. Kinect detects you spinning and the animal spins. I even tested it out and spun clockwise then counterclockwise and the animal did the same exact thing, not only did it detect spinning, it detected direction! Incredible.

Then they want you to play dead. The little bee thing or whatever says you can say "Play Dead" or actually lie on the floor. I'm like yeah right, there's no way kinect can detect me on the floor. So I give it a whirl. I lay on the floor and it detects it! I was astonished.

You also get to play with toys, it detects everything. You can throw a ball. You have the option of throwing it underhand, overhand or even sidearm. Seriously? Yes. It's awesome.

Lastly, you get to pet your pet. This portion took advantage of what I seen with the Forza demo. You can literally walk around pet 3/4 of the way, like you can't go behind it, but you can go to either side of it by literally walking to each side of your Kinect play area. It was very cool.

I only played a little bit as I'm going to let my little guy play it and he hasn't seen it yet, so I want to be more amazed at what it can do as he progresses.

Kinectimals - Multiplayer options
I didn't see any multiplayer options, so this is only for one kid at a time unfortunately.

Conclusion
Honestly, this isn't a game adults should play, unless there is something wrong with them or they are lonely? However, if you have children, or want to see pretty much the full potential of the kinect, then either purchase for your kids as they will play this over and over and over, or rent it to see the technology. It is really incredible.

More Kinectimals
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [screenshots] [preview] [achievements] [order here]

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 10:42 PM by Clemens.)
RE: [Kinectimals] Review: Best show of the kinect yet! [8/10]
How are the achievements? super easy and just progress achievements, or more advanced stuff? Did you get the pluche animals from BK to work with it as well? Big Grin

Could you update the review with some quotes from your kids? That would definitely be awesome Big Grin! (they are probably brutally honest, so) Looking forward to some more words if you played it through some more too!

As I said before, I think this will be the silent killer hit for Kinect. Everybody is shouting Dance Central, but my cards are as much on Kinectimals! Your review confirms that Tongue.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.png]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I got a few of the achievements just by progessing, but there are a few competive achievements such as:

Arch Rivals
Get the highest score of your friends in a contest session.

So I'm guessing they are going to make the kids actually try to do good. Ha no I didn't get the animals from BK, but once the kids play the game, more than likely I will have to! LOL

Yup I will quote their comments exactly. They are very brutal when it comes to opinions. The last comment I had from the older one on Power Gig was "This game doesn't teach you anything, what's the point."

I agree with you about Kinectimals. Some of the other stuff that is listed in Achievements is throwing a disc to your pet, something with driving a RC car - I believe your pet sits on top of it from the introduction movie, something with snowballs, I think it just has everything in it that the kinect is capable of, which most people will overlook because it's a kids game.

11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Question RE: [Kinectimals] Review: Best show of the kinect yet! [8/10]
When you say you can name your pet then call it by name do you mean you have to choose from a list of names or do you mean you can actually call it anything you want and the pet/Kinect learns the name? If it's the latter then that's awesome and very "sci-fi"!
11-06-2010, 05:09 PM
You can name it whatever you want, so if you want to call it Bob for example...you can lol - it's very innovative displaying all the tech. I noticed though when you give it commands, like sit, lie down, etc. you have to yell at it, like you do a real pet. If you say like sit in a nice voice, it doesn't listen, but if you say sit like you are being firm with your dog, then it listens. It's very cool.

11-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Cool! Big GrinI don't know if I'll actually be getting this game but I like the demonstration of technology like that.
12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I think I am going to have to disagree with this review. I have read many of the others and pretty much felt the same, but this one is different I guess. Kinectimals, in my own opinion, is a great game to play. I am 18 and can not wait to get home everynight after work to play with it. It was the first game I bought for my Kinect and still the one I keep going back to. My boyfriend even likes to play with it, he has his own cub on my game. Maybe I have not reached out of my childhood yet, maybe it is just a great game to play with to take a break from Halo: Reach with, who knows with me. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

My Frist Post! This is an awesome website.
12-23-2010, 12:57 PM
(12-23-2010 10:13 AM)Mibs Dawe Wrote:  I think I am going to have to disagree with this review. I have read many of the others and pretty much felt the same, but this one is different I guess. Kinectimals, in my own opinion, is a great game to play. I am 18 and can not wait to get home everynight after work to play with it. It was the first game I bought for my Kinect and still the one I keep going back to. My boyfriend even likes to play with it, he has his own cub on my game. Maybe I have not reached out of my childhood yet, maybe it is just a great game to play with to take a break from Halo: Reach with, who knows with me. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

My Frist Post! This is an awesome website.

Heya Mibs, welcome to the forums and thanks for the praise! You may write your own review if you want to, there is a template as a sticky post in this forum: would love to hear your full story. Either way, it's good to know that an 18 year old may enjoy Kinectimals as well! Hopefully I'll be able to get to play some Kinectimals soon myself Smile

[Image: CrackedDiviner.png]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes sorry Mibs, I should of stated this was in regards to males, not females. I don't think there's any issue with females playing this game no matter how old Smile

12-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I would get this game but I wouldn't pay the price of it now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used copy for 20.
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
12-24-2010, 07:21 PM
(12-24-2010 02:33 AM)Keith Wrote:  I would get this game but I wouldn't pay the price of it now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used copy for 20.

Buying used won't support Frontier (the devs). Buy it new when you can find a good sale on it. I try to buy as many games new as I can so the developers will continue make great games.

[Image: HazyCloud.png]
http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
12-25-2010, 11:29 AM
(12-24-2010 07:21 PM)HazyCloud Wrote:  
(12-24-2010 02:33 AM)Keith Wrote:  I would get this game but I wouldn't pay the price of it now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used copy for 20.

Buying used won't support Frontier (the devs). Buy it new when you can find a good sale on it. I try to buy as many games new as I can so the developers will continue make great games.

I looked into what Frontier has made. Considering they made the Rollercoaster Tycoon games that has taken many hours of my life, they are worth supporting. I'll just find the game on sale and purchase it then.
12-26-2010, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2010 06:09 AM by Master Arthur56.)
im a 14 year old guy idk if i buy this game i mean i have heart but i dont know i am too big to play this game but i still want to play it idk what to do Tongue

(by heart i mean this)
Kinectimals

What it is: Collect, train, and play with an assortment of cute and cuddly cats. Black panthers, leopards, lions and more are waiting to virtually cuddle with you.

Who will play: Kids and anyone with a heart.

When they will play: Every second of the day -- at least for the first week. After that, it depends how willing you are to pay to download new pets.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1131277p1.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Fighters Uncaged] Review: Cool concept, somewhat buggy. [6/10] TheZeeMan 12 2,137 Today 06:05 AM
Last Post: legreffer
Thumbs Up [Fighters Uncaged] Review: Not for the weak! [8/10] Victoria 18 3,668 01-17-2011 08:09 PM
Last Post: Orion_Destiny
  [Zumba Fitness] Review: A very different type of game/workout. [7/10] TheZeeMan 8 3,810 01-17-2011 03:12 AM
Last Post: ZappyGetzOff10
  [Kinect Sports] Review: This one really challenges your physical attributes. [8/10] TheZeeMan 12 6,840 01-14-2011 04:52 PM
Last Post: Alisha
  [Motion Sports] Review: Ehh, very overrated. [2/10] TheZeeMan 11 8,435 01-02-2011 04:52 PM
Last Post: megatron8121
  [Kinect Adventures] Review: Cant Get Enough [8/10] TheLiveLegand 5 609 01-02-2011 02:31 AM
Last Post: TheLiveLegand

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Order Kinect + Kinect Adventures here!