Kinnect workouts, Eating Right, and Gym: 65 pound challenge
Hello all. I know there are already a few weight loss challenge threads up on here but figured I would start my own because mine is a little diffrent. I am using kinnect, a real gym, and change in diet to get in shape. I have alraedy been at it for a few weeks but i will update my daily progress here for all of you to follow.

A little background: I am 23, male, and recently out of college. I am 5'8 and started the new year around 215 pounds. I started the new year really hitting the gym, cycleing, lifting weights, etc. I then bought a kinnect, cut out junkfoood, etc. Down to 202 right now, 13 pounds in 18 days! Smile

Kinnect Goal: I bought biggest loser, and am doing a 12 week fat burning program. I do 5 workouts a week, each one for 60 minutes. in my 2nd week right now, raised to challenging difficulty but might drop back down to moderate. Goal here is to finish out the program. I burn between 450-550 calories per workout.

Gym Goal: cycle for 45 minutes and raise my bench press weight. Cycle for 45-60 minutes burns about 400 calories (guess? ive seen a huge dispute on how much a stationary bike burns). I try to go 3 times a week. Started my bench press with 135 pounds being my last set and could only do it 3 times. This mourning, I did 155 pounds ALMOST 5 times, really struggled and needed a little bit of help from a spotter to lift it all the way. I want to get bench up to the point that I can bench 185 pounds 5 times

Food Goal: Here is where im a little relaxed. I still have soda maybe once a week, but sure as hell alot better than 4 cans a day. Usually keep under 1,200 calories a day, lots of fruit, tons of spinach (in sandwhiches and whatnot) etc.

Progressive Weight goal: Long term i want to go from 215 to 150 but you need to take it ONE STEP AT A TIME. I have planned out smaller goals and I want ALL OF YOU TO HOUND ME IF I DONT REACH THEM IN TIME!! lol. Here is the breakdown of what I have planned so far. keep in mind, i made these goals before I started this process, so I am ahead of schedule already.

190 pounds: march 5th
180 pounds: April 9th
170 pounds: May 15th
160 pounds: June 19th
150 pounds: July 24th

So, 65 pounds in 7 months. Already kncoked off 13, anyone else who wants to try to keep up at this pace is welcome to join, or follow for support, etc, whatever. I will be posting before and after pics at the end of this too.
Welcome thilonash,

You have a great plan !

I started You Shape this week but my goal is to get in shape (cardio,muscle,breath).

I'm will follow your progress...
thankyou for following!

Just another quick update, I managed to fit my tuesday workout on biggest loser just in time. Finished my hour long workout at 11:45pm, burning 586 calories!

I work overnights so im on a nocturnal schedule, so just to make things easier, i split my daily calorie intake by 24 hour periods, midnight to midnight, even though i may be awake from 10pm to 2pm the next day.

So, for wednesday (today) it is 2:40 am and going to walk to the conviant store a mile away and a mile back, so 2 miles walking to start off this 24 hour period! Going to grab something good. Not the healthiest choices there but walking 2 miles will burn that off.

After that, relax a lil, watch some american dad on dvd, then its to the gym around 7am. 60 mins of cycling, followed by bench, then home.

Meeting my mother for lunch at 11 and then its back home and in bed at 2. Waking up sometime around 10pm and since its my off day for Biggest Loser, ill play some kinnect sports or kinnect adventures for awhile.

Checking back in here after all those things are done, hopefully will have some more followers!! Smile
Hi Thilonash, I will be subscribing to your thread so I dont miss a thing. SmileYou have a great plan and yes it looks as if you and I have similar goals. I plan to post before and after pictures as well. Did you say you are eating 1200 cal a day? That is really low cal with all of the exercising you are doing but thats awesome that you can maintain that!!! I had planned a goal of 1500 cal a day but you have me wanting to drop lower!!! Smile
well, somedays i DO go overboard....... like yesterday (wednesday). I did my 2 mile walk back and forth from the conviniant store, but then when i met my mother for lunch, i had the miniburger bite combo meal. 2 burger bites with bacon, cheese, and ranch, plus fries, large bowl of clam chowder, and a coke SadIt is the first time ive eaten out at a restraunt in a month though so as long as i dont make it a habbit.

didnt do any kinnect wednesday, it was my day off from biggest loser workouts. its 2:30am now, and ill be up till bout 3pm, sleep till 9pm, then work 10pm-9am. ill do my thursday BL workout in a few hours, then go to the real gym around 8am, then try to fit in some kinnect sports before bed.

Havnt eaten yet in this 24 hour period so ill prob make a roast beef, cheese, and spinach wrap (heavy on the spinach) wrap on this healthy whole wheat wrap (only 70 calories). Feeling alot less soar then yesterday, which is a main reason i didnt do any workout, body is starting to slow down and not keep up with the intesne workouts.
(01-20-2011 08:56 AM)thilonash Wrote:  ...

Havnt eaten yet in this 24 hour period so ill prob make a roast beef, cheese, and spinach wrap (heavy on the spinach) wrap on this healthy whole wheat wrap (only 70 calories). Feeling alot less soar then yesterday, which is a main reason i didnt do any workout, body is starting to slow down and not keep up with the intesne workouts.

You need to eat thilonash, otherwise your body will adapt to the not-eating pattern by going into hibernation mode: everything you eat then will be efficiently used and stored as much as possible (becuase you never know, there may be another 24h period without food).

Eat often, but not a lot in the times that you do, to keep your body burning energy and not get hungry.
you misunderstood me, looking back I did kind of write that in a mis-leading way. See, I work overnights, and have a nocturnal schedule, so instead of saying "today" or "yesterday" i simply break it down into 24 hour periods, begining and ending at midnight. I found it is way to hard to keep track of what or how much i eat if i just do it by my "days". Sometimes when i have 4 days off in a row, i will switch back to being awake during the day, so its just really hard to keep track of food/calorie intake if i just count a day as what i eat after i wake up and before i go to sleep. So, pretty much everytime im awake, i count some meals for one 24 hour period, and other meals towards another 24 hour period. When i said i didnt eat yet in the 24 hour period, i just meant i hadnt eaten yet since midnight. I woke up around 9 or 10pm, ate somethig and coutned that as my last thing of htat 24 hour period. Sorry to make it confusing. Also must make it even more confusing for everyone thats not in the US like i am (US Eastern Standard Time).

Forgot to add a few more things. Its good to know people are watching out for unhealthy eating habbits.

I ended up having that wrap around 5am (2 hours after my post talking about it) and it was pretty good. So, 6 hour break inbetween meals is not bad at all.

I do agree though, eating smaller meals every 4-5 hours is better than eating 2 big meals 7 hours apart or whatever.

Got my biggest loser exerscice out of the way early today, just finished it about 20 mins ago around 8am. Dont want to overwork the legs so ill be going to the gym real soon to just do bench, no stationary bike today. By the time i get there, do 5 sets of 5reps, and hten head back out, subway will be open and ill get a good 6inch sub there, and then back to the appartment to kick back and watch some family guy on dvd. Maybe some quick kinnect sports and then somewhere i should get in atleast 5 hours of sleep before work tonight. We are allowed to sleep on shift after all the works done and before the kids wake up but its easier said then done. couches in there arent to comfortable, so i usually try to get a good amount of sleep at home, and then try to fit in 2-3 hours of sleep at work.

See you guys later!
(01-20-2011 02:24 PM)thilonash Wrote:  you misunderstood me, looking back I did kind of write that in a mis-leading way. See, I work overnights, and have a nocturnal schedule, so instead of saying "today" or "yesterday" i simply break it down into 24 hour periods, begining and ending at midnight. I found it is way to hard to keep track of what or how much i eat if i just do it by my "days". Sometimes when i have 4 days off in a row, i will switch back to being awake during the day, so its just really hard to keep track of food/calorie intake if i just count a day as what i eat after i wake up and before i go to sleep. So, pretty much everytime im awake, i count some meals for one 24 hour period, and other meals towards another 24 hour period. When i said i didnt eat yet in the 24 hour period, i just meant i hadnt eaten yet since midnight. I woke up around 9 or 10pm, ate somethig and coutned that as my last thing of htat 24 hour period. Sorry to make it confusing. Also must make it even more confusing for everyone thats not in the US like i am (US Eastern Standard Time).

Forgot to add a few more things. Its good to know people are watching out for unhealthy eating habbits.

I ended up having that wrap around 5am (2 hours after my post talking about it) and it was pretty good. So, 6 hour break inbetween meals is not bad at all.

I do agree though, eating smaller meals every 4-5 hours is better than eating 2 big meals 7 hours apart or whatever.

Got my biggest loser exerscice out of the way early today, just finished it about 20 mins ago around 8am. Dont want to overwork the legs so ill be going to the gym real soon to just do bench, no stationary bike today. By the time i get there, do 5 sets of 5reps, and hten head back out, subway will be open and ill get a good 6inch sub there, and then back to the appartment to kick back and watch some family guy on dvd. Maybe some quick kinnect sports and then somewhere i should get in atleast 5 hours of sleep before work tonight. We are allowed to sleep on shift after all the works done and before the kids wake up but its easier said then done. couches in there arent to comfortable, so i usually try to get a good amount of sleep at home, and then try to fit in 2-3 hours of sleep at work.

See you guys later!

Lol ok, I was starting to get worried, that's all Wink.

KEEP IT UP! SmileGood idea to combine gym with Kinect I guess.
yah, kinnect alone will help you lose weight but I would advise anyone thats serious bout getting into shape in the shortest amount of time to eventually join a gym to help along with the kinnect. Just doing bench press alone is worth it, when i started i could only do 135 pounds 4 times, but just a half hour ago, i did 155 pounds 5 times as my last set. So definatly adding muscle, and the more muscle you have on your body, the higher your motabolism is, and the more calories you burn during the day. Also muscles look sexy Smilelol. sure, you can get slim and somewhat toned using just kinnect, but building all those arm/chest muscles is almsot like a bonus multiplier to anything else you do.

I know there are tons of reasons why people dont want to/cant join a gym. The cost, it takes more effort to get out of your house and go, embarrased to workout infront of other people, etc. Kinnect plus good diet will work, but a gym membership will do nothing but help you achieve your goals faster. Use it to do the heavy weights and build muscle, and use kinnect as your primary cardio workout, seems to be working good for me.

Update: EXACTLY 200 pounds today!! SmileBiggest loser official weigh ins are every saturday but i figured ide share when i hit a major milestone. Hopefully can lose 1 more pound before saturday so i can be in the 100's for the first time in years.
Thilonash

Awesome job on the weight loss!!!!! You seem like you are doing a great job with self discipline! I'm looking forward to following your progress. I too am using kinect to help with weight loss (in combintion with eating healthy and walking) and have lost 14 pounds in just over two weeks (183-169). 

Please keep up the great work and continue to post!!
Congrats Thilonash on 200lbs!! You are really making progress with your weight and at the gym. Kendrab you've really made some great progress too!!!

I worked out on Your Shape doing mostly Gym Games yesterday for 30 minutes. The gym games seem to burn more calories than the other activities. I took the day off today from Your Shape but did manage to get on the trampoline outside with my 9yo stepson and burn 250 cal in 20 minutes. SmileMy eating was terrible yesterday. It was one of those days where I stayed hungry all day long. Anyhow, Ive done well today and have felt full all day without eating much. Go figure that one! I can really tell that exercising in the mornings has increased my metabolism tremendously. My beginning heart rate when I started Your Shape earlier this week was around 65 bpm. My beginning heart rate has now increased to around 80 bpm.
(01-19-2011 03:36 AM)thilonash Wrote:  Hello all. I know there are already a few weight loss challenge threads up on here but figured I would start my own because mine is a little diffrent. I am using kinnect, a real gym, and change in diet to get in shape. I have alraedy been at it for a few weeks but i will update my daily progress here for all of you to follow.

A little background: I am 23, male, and recently out of college. I am 5'8 and started the new year around 215 pounds. I started the new year really hitting the gym, cycleing, lifting weights, etc. I then bought a kinnect, cut out junkfoood, etc. Down to 202 right now, 13 pounds in 18 days! Smile

Kinnect Goal: I bought biggest loser, and am doing a 12 week fat burning program. I do 5 workouts a week, each one for 60 minutes. in my 2nd week right now, raised to challenging difficulty but might drop back down to moderate. Goal here is to finish out the program. I burn between 450-550 calories per workout.

Gym Goal: cycle for 45 minutes and raise my bench press weight. Cycle for 45-60 minutes burns about 400 calories (guess? ive seen a huge dispute on how much a stationary bike burns). I try to go 3 times a week. Started my bench press with 135 pounds being my last set and could only do it 3 times. This mourning, I did 155 pounds ALMOST 5 times, really struggled and needed a little bit of help from a spotter to lift it all the way. I want to get bench up to the point that I can bench 185 pounds 5 times

Food Goal: Here is where im a little relaxed. I still have soda maybe once a week, but sure as hell alot better than 4 cans a day. Usually keep under 1,200 calories a day, lots of fruit, tons of spinach (in sandwhiches and whatnot) etc.

Progressive Weight goal: Long term i want to go from 215 to 150 but you need to take it ONE STEP AT A TIME. I have planned out smaller goals and I want ALL OF YOU TO HOUND ME IF I DONT REACH THEM IN TIME!! lol. Here is the breakdown of what I have planned so far. keep in mind, i made these goals before I started this process, so I am ahead of schedule already.

190 pounds: march 5th
180 pounds: April 9th
170 pounds: May 15th
160 pounds: June 19th
150 pounds: July 24th

So, 65 pounds in 7 months. Already kncoked off 13, anyone else who wants to try to keep up at this pace is welcome to join, or follow for support, etc, whatever. I will be posting before and after pics at the end of this too.

I too am doing other exercises with Kinnect and eating sensibly. I'm trying to get this baby weight off so I'll hound you for not reaching your goals, you hound me. Fair? Would you recommend BL on Kinnect? I've heard that it is not very accurate as far as movement goes but I really want it! Would I be wasting my money? Be honest.
It will be nice checking back on your progress it will help motivate me. Good luck with your goals!
hey everyone, havent been updating lately. slowed down on losing weight but then figured in that i must have gained some muscle wieght, i raised my bench 40 pounds just this month so forgot to factor that in. at 198 as of yesterday, stopped playing BL, hour long workouts are just to much, feels like a daunting task. may start up a new one with only 20-30 min workouts. been playing some other kinnect games though like adventures and sports. Still eating good, gym, etc.

The movements on BL are captured prettyw ell, there are some that are off a little but nothing game breaking. besides, just do the exersise even if it doesnt give you credit for it, your still getting a workout. ITs not like the game fails you for nto doing something. The only workout that i can just not get to register is the 4 tire jump thing, idk, but everything else works 99% of the time.