everything KINECT in one place!

/ / / /

Picked up Child of Eden and.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
it is awesome! I picked it up last night at Gamestop as they were doing a midnight launch party. I would write a review, but for some reason my comuter can't recognize the template to use, so I'll just give you guys a breif plug for it.

I put it in as soon as I got home and first thing I tested was the lag on the menue screen. I'm pretty picky, so when I say I couldn't see any lag, you can believe that I didn't. This game is smooth. The combination of music and beautiful graphics made me feel like I was conducting an orchestra (while on acid). I have never had an experience like this in a game before.

A few points to make.

1) I played for about an hour last night and died several times trying to beat the first level. I was concerned that the game would be too easy...NOPE. It was fun and challenging. I only played on normal and there is a hard difficulty to unlock. There is also a free playing mode where no damage can be done to you. I let my 3 year old son play this morning and he was having a blast!

2) My kids were sleeping when I played last night, so I didn't get to crank it, but from what I could tell, the music is very engaging and emersive.

3) Only issue I had was that my right arm got tired after flicking it so many times to fire the lock-on weapon. LOL. Other then that, fromthe first hour of play...I'm hooked!

If there is anyone on the fence about getting this game...get off the fence and go get this game! You won't regret it.

Of course this is only from 1 hour of play, but first impressions are "I've never played anything like this and I can' wait to play some more."

[Image: UndgnfiedWrshpr.png]
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2011, 07:47 PM
RE: Picked up Child of Eden and.....
Cool! Thanks for sharing your impressions Big Grin. Good to know it's that positive! Hopefully will get my hands on a copy soon Smile.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't seem to post on the story board about the game in response to the review (link) posted by Megan from joystiq. The guy wrote that the game takes 90 minutes to play. What!? I played for an hour last night and only finished level 1. Now, granted, I died several times trying, but either I really suck or this guy was playing on free mode where you can't get hurt. I suppose that if I play this game a lot that eventually I could blow through the levels in 15 minutes, but the whole game in 90 when it was done only for a review. I strongly doubt that and call bull on this guy. Don't get me wrong, he says the game is great, but I think I'll get more than 90 minutes out of it.

[Image: UndgnfiedWrshpr.png]
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
06-14-2011, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2011 08:45 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Picked up Child of Eden and.....
(06-14-2011 08:21 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote:  I can't seem to post on the story board about the game in response to the review (link) posted by Megan from joystiq. The guy wrote that the game takes 90 minutes to play. What!? I played for an hour last night and only finished level 1. Now, granted, I died several times trying, but either I really suck or this guy was playing on free mode where you can't get hurt. I suppose that if I play this game a lot that eventually I could blow through the levels in 15 minutes, but the whole game in 90 when it was done only for a review. I strongly doubt that and call bull on this guy. Don't get me wrong, he says the game is great, but I think I'll get more than 90 minutes out of it.

My guess is that they found the game really hard (in a good way) but wanted to be one of the first reviewers so switched to that free-play "God mode" option so that they could get through the whole game as quick as they could to review it then timed how long the game could be in theory if you were perfect at it. Also that wouldn't include unlockable stuff.

By the way, can you play the game sitting down? I've only seen videos of people playing it standing up but I assumed you could play it sitting down since it's just hand-based.
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Also, not sure how many levels there are (6?) and they couldn've done some basic math with 6x15 afterwards... Smilewithout actually checking the amount of time they spent Smile.

06-15-2011, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2011 05:04 AM by dirtyvu.)
I don't believe the 90 minutes either. I think they may have done what you said and did some gross math rather than actually finishing it to see how long. Some of the game sites said it took hours to finish and those are by reviewers who tend to be very good in games. But shmups tend to be short anyway. I finished Raiden IV really fast.

Did you try putting the controllers in your pockets??? That is an amazing experience. I put 2 controllers in my shorts pockets and it totally transforms the game.

I have no idea how to add 4 controllers since my rear pockets on my pants and shorts are too small to hold a controller. But my front pockets are big enough.
(06-14-2011 08:39 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  By the way, can you play the game sitting down? I've only seen videos of people playing it standing up but I assumed you could play it sitting down since it's just hand-based.

I've almost finished a review for the game. I just want to beat it before writing a review because I want more info on unlockables and stuff before submitting it.

Yes, you can play it sitting down but it has more problems if you do so. my main HDTV is on the fritz and has to be fixed so I'm playing it on my little HDTV. On my big HDTV, the Kinect is above the TV but on the little HDTV, the Kinect sits about waist high.

If you place your Kinect at waist level, the game doesn't appear to control as well as above the TV, especially when targeting near the bottom of the TV. It's not a major difference but if you can, put the Kinect above the TV. The logic also applies to sitting down. Child of Eden does allow you to play in the sitting position but when sitting down, targeting objects near the bottom of the screen can be hard because if the Kinect is placed low and you're sitting down, when you move your hand to crotch level to target low objects, the cursor will spaz while the Kinect is figuring out where your hand is. The game controls better in the standing position.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
06-15-2011, 05:21 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Picked up Child of Eden and.....
(06-15-2011 04:48 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  I don't believe the 90 minutes either. I think they may have done what you said and did some gross math rather than actually finishing it to see how long. Some of the game sites said it took hours to finish and those are by reviewers who tend to be very good in games. But shmups tend to be short anyway. I finished Raiden IV really fast.

Did you try putting the controllers in your pockets??? That is an amazing experience. I put 2 controllers in my shorts pockets and it totally transforms the game.

I have no idea how to add 4 controllers since my rear pockets on my pants and shorts are too small to hold a controller. But my front pockets are big enough.
(06-14-2011 08:39 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  By the way, can you play the game sitting down? I've only seen videos of people playing it standing up but I assumed you could play it sitting down since it's just hand-based.

I've almost finished a review for the game. I just want to beat it before writing a review because I want more info on unlockables and stuff before submitting it.

Yes, you can play it sitting down but it has more problems if you do so. my main HDTV is on the fritz and has to be fixed so I'm playing it on my little HDTV. On my big HDTV, the Kinect is above the TV but on the little HDTV, the Kinect sits about waist high.

If you place your Kinect at waist level, the game doesn't appear to control as well as above the TV, especially when targeting near the bottom of the TV. It's not a major difference but if you can, put the Kinect above the TV. The logic also applies to sitting down. Child of Eden does allow you to play in the sitting position but when sitting down, targeting objects near the bottom of the screen can be hard because if the Kinect is placed low and you're sitting down, when you move your hand to crotch level to target low objects, the cursor will spaz while the Kinect is figuring out where your hand is. The game controls better in the standing position.

My Kinect is on top of the TV so hopefully sitting down will work for me, although it's not really a big deal if it doesn't it's just less exhausting for me.
06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I have played RezHD demo version and I was hooked. I want it but at 800 ms pts. So, I am thinking to get Child of Eden instead. At least, it will be a much improve graphics, sound and gameplay. From what I am reading about Child of Eden, it a must have if you have the Kinect. Smile

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
06-15-2011, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2011 04:06 PM by VermillionSQD.)
I believe 90 minutes is based on an expert run-through, not a first time run-through. Reviewers have made a career out of playing video games. Their 8 hour (or 16 hour or 24 hour) day is spent thinking about, playing and writing about video games. Added to that, they have probably had a pre-release review copy that they have been playing for several weeks. From start to finish as an expert player, after several weeks of focused practice, I have no doubt that it can be run through in 90 minutes. It will take many hours for us to get that level of proficiency.

We've all had experience with this. Remember how difficult that boss was in Contra/Bionic Commando/R-Type/Altered Beast the FIRST 20 times trying? Once you beat it, defeating it the 21st time was pretty simple! I experienced this as recently as Child of Eden. The Matrix tunnel run frustrated me to NO END on the first several run throughs. Now, it is a simple matter.
06-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds about right, Vermillion Smile

06-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I placed my order from Amazon for this game and I'll be getting it on Saturday. I have a goal I have to meet before I get this game. An plus, it's a great father's day present for myself. Smile

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
(06-15-2011 05:21 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  My Kinect is on top of the TV so hopefully sitting down will work for me, although it's not really a big deal if it doesn't it's just less exhausting for me.

another thing that can help with playing Child of Eden sitting down is to flatten your legs out so that they're lower.

kind of like this but both legs straight:
[Image: office-chair-stretches-001.jpg?w=300&h=225]

it helped a little with sitting.

again, objects on the upper part of the screen are no problem but when the baddies get near the bottom, the Kinect can get flaky.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
06-15-2011, 11:55 PM
(06-15-2011 11:16 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  I placed my order from Amazon for this game and I'll be getting it on Saturday. I have a goal I have to meet before I get this game. An plus, it's a great father's day present for myself. Smile

Good thinking Big Grin, hopefully you'll reach your goal!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Child of Eden Hope Archive UndgnfiedWrshpr 3 1,313 07-21-2011 09:04 PM
Last Post: Ace12me
  Child of Eden dirtyvu 33 5,583 07-01-2011 06:47 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Child of Eden - Is It Worth It? Tomface 3 1,578 06-28-2011 05:18 AM
Last Post: Big Daddy104
Exclamation Child Of Eden- Hard , very very hard !!! XboxVictorious 8 2,156 06-23-2011 11:42 PM
Last Post: XboxVictorious
  Child of Eden: achievements guide quick360 0 1,579 06-17-2011 12:42 PM
Last Post: quick360
  Child of Eden BassGuiFloyd 2 1,331 05-31-2011 04:53 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue