We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / / /

Rise Of Nightmares - First Look

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
06-19-2011, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2011 11:28 AM by Tomface.)
When I first saw Rise Of Nightmares, like fable, I thought it was on rails. I was annoyed because it looked like a great game. Again, I was mistaken. Its not on rails, you move your shoulders to turn and apparently put one foot in front of the other to move forward. This whole concept sounds great. The reason I am creating this thread is because I thought it might be interesting to hear your opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
RE: Rise Of Nightmares - First Look
Yes, it indeed looks MUCH better now that I've seen the gameplay video. I'm looking forward to playing it, especially as I'm usually not easy to scare Tongue it would be interesting to know whether this game can scaer me through its 'immersion'.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Yes, it indeed looks MUCH better now that I've seen the gameplay video. I'm looking forward to playing it, especially as I'm usually not easy to scare Tongue it would be interesting to know whether this game can scaer me through its 'immersion'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what i was thinking Big Grin
06-19-2011, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2011 08:21 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Rise Of Nightmares - First Look
Funnily enough you can actually put it on rails at certain points if you want to. If you don't want to walk around and explore you can put your right arm up & right (like the opposite to the left arm down & left to pause games) and the game will move on-rails to the next significant gameplay section. (Combat, puzzle/trap or cut-scene.) Of course once you're at the next significant gameplay section it stops being on-rails.
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
(06-19-2011 08:21 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Funnily enough you can actually put it on rails at certain points if you want to. If you don't want to walk around and explore you can put your right arm up & right (like the opposite to the left arm down & left to pause games) and the game will move on-rails to the next significant gameplay section. (Combat, puzzle/trap or cut-scene.) Of course once you're at the next significant gameplay section it stops being on-rails.

Wow, did not know that. Sounds quite interesting...

[Image: Tomfaace.jpg]
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Information RE: Rise Of Nightmares - First Look
(06-19-2011 08:30 PM)Tomface Wrote:  
(06-19-2011 08:21 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Funnily enough you can actually put it on rails at certain points if you want to. If you don't want to walk around and explore you can put your right arm up & right (like the opposite to the left arm down & left to pause games) and the game will move on-rails to the next significant gameplay section. (Combat, puzzle/trap or cut-scene.) Of course once you're at the next significant gameplay section it stops being on-rails.

Wow, did not know that. Sounds quite interesting...

I only found out recently myself. If you watch this video you'll see about 5 minutes into it the auto-travel icon appears in the top-right corner. Every time that icon appears you can use it to auto-travel on-rails, but it's completely optional and you can see when the player selects it because it turns red, if it isn't red it means the player is still moving around manually (unfortunately the player in the video isn't very good and gets killed, lol!):

Here's a great new preview & interview too that includes loads of footage that wasn't in the demo!:

07-24-2011, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2011 08:42 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Exclamation RE: Rise Of Nightmares - First Look
Here's a new video from Comic Con. It's the same demo we've seen before but it's direct-feed footage and has commentary talking about the demo:

Notice on screen at 01:00 it says: "To move forward, place a foot out in front of you. Your speed changes based on how far you put it out" That's what I said about changing speed in my Kinect FPS controls simulation video. Big Grin
08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Hilarious new trailer! Big Grin

08-13-2011, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 02:34 AM by Corellianrogue.)
This is an awesome new video! It starts at the start of the game and most of it shows some of the more adventuring aspect of the game but there's some combat towards the end. This game is really doing more of the things I was hoping Kinect games would do in the future with the full body movement & interaction! Big Grin It also has head tracking although I don't know if you can do it all the time or if it's just for certain parts, it's talked about around the middle of the video:

Here's another funny trailer too. Big Grin

08-13-2011, 06:41 AM
good find. i wasn't considering this game but now it's a possible buy. man, these holidays will be expensive. gears 3, forza 4, dance central 2, kinect sports 2, halo anniversary, ace combat assault horizon, The Gunstringer/Fruit Ninja, battlefield 3, call of duty mw3, Rocksmith, a possible star wars console. and those are just off the top of my head...

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
08-16-2011, 04:38 AM
A preview from destructoid:

Quote:Though it’s safe to say I most likely looked like an arm-swinging leg-kicking fool, the most important thing I realized was it didn’t matter -- I was having fun doing it.

I see more and more such comments, and that's a very good sign Smile

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
08-18-2011, 04:15 AM
(08-16-2011 04:38 AM)legreffer Wrote:  A preview from destructoid:

Quote:Though it’s safe to say I most likely looked like an arm-swinging leg-kicking fool, the most important thing I realized was it didn’t matter -- I was having fun doing it.

I see more and more such comments, and that's a very good sign Smile

Even more positive previews:

GamePro

Quote:Grisly, outrageous, and an absolute blast, Sega's interactive haunted house, Rise of Nightmares, is one of the most genuinely entertaining Kinect games yet.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/...ightmares/

GotGame

Quote:Every now and again in the Gaming industry we get the chance to see something new. If you thought motion sensing technology was a factor before Xbox’s kinect, you were wrong. Throw those motion sensing controllers in the trash! Gotgame was lucky enough to be invited to a Rise of Nightmares showcase, where we were able to play the first level of the game, the E3 demo, and fight the first boss. For those of you who don’t know, Rise of Nightmares is an upcoming first person survival horror title by Sega, coming exclusively to the Xbox Kinect, with a motion detection control scheme that puts motion detecting controllers to shame.

Quote:The most innovative and amazing feature is of course the kinect based controls. This is beyond current motion sensing technology. Now, I like the feeling of a controller in my hands and I certainly don’t think the future of gaming is going to be all motion sensitive, just as I don’t believe 3D will be the future of movies, but the novelty of playing this game was enthralling. I didn’t have to touch anything. I stood about five feet from the kinect and the console and waited a few moments for the device to detect the player. To face right or left, all I had to do was turn my shoulders. To step forward, put one foot forward. To step back, one foot back. Bringing your arms up to a boxing position will result in the same happening on screen, and from that position you can block or attack (attack just by punching the air if unarmed). You can duck or crouch, resulting in the same happening on screen, jog in place to sprint, kick the air in front of you to kick open doors or barrels. And it all works. There was no frustrated screwing with the position of the kinect or anything of the sort, and I played on at least four different systems. It was fun. It was frightening. It had me sweating way harder than Wii fit ever could, since I was fighting for my life in a terrifying swarm of monsters.

Quote:Rise is definitely a next-step for motion controlled gaming. Is this the future of video games? I don’t know, and I think only time will tell.

http://gotgame.com/2011/08/17/rise-of-nightmares/

(That wasn't the whole preview, there were just so many good quotes from that preview, lol! Big Grin)
08-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Yeah I read the gotgame preview, this is really good Smile This game will pave the way...

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
08-18-2011, 05:28 AM
oh, man! you guys are tempting me! alright, if the reviews turn out well, I'll pick it up. Previews tend to be positive so I don't put too much into them. Just when I thought I had my budget already set for the fall and winter...

08-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Act 3 Rise of Nightmares XTina71 7 374 01-08-2012 12:21 AM
Last Post: XTina71