We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

Rise of Nightmares Review

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-07-2011, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 05:12 PM by TheZeeMan.)
Rise of Nightmares

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvrEV7pI4iR5_jPFATplZ...cysvyQTMSz]
  • Official site Rise of Nightmares
  • Developer: Sega
  • Genre: Action Adventure
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Modes: Story
  • Online Features: Achievements, Friends, Xbox LIVE Family Settings
  • Kinect Features: Kinect Sensor Required, Players 1
  • Kinect Activity Level: Standing - Active
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Adults

Rise of Nightmares - The good
  • Sega did a fantastic job on it, very impressed with everything
  • Has a custom soundtrack to make the experience more authentic
  • Kinect is made for this game or this game is made for Kinect
  • It's actually not cheesy for a horror game
  • I've never seen so many different types of weapons in this genre, they thought of everything!

Rise of Nightmares - The not so good
  • Playing for hours straight gets a little tiresome
  • The blood sequences are pretty cheesy, lets face it, blood/horror animation will never mimic the way it looks on TV in this generation
  • I think a walk/run motion would suit this game better, see below for details
  • Controls get a little floppy when trying to act fast in the bigger battles

Rise of Nightmares - Story
This game is all about a story...it doesn't seem too bad from what I've played, not sure how far I am but I'm getting there. I clocked 5 hours so far and still not done, I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but it seems like a decent story from what I can tell, for the most part, it's one of those "It could happen..." games.

Rise of Nightmares - Kinect experience
This is where this game shines. Everything feels natural with Kinect, except I was confused on one part. For pretty much everything you are doing normal motions, opening doors, swimming, pulling levers, turning stuff, etc. There's one part where it tells you to run, I will give you this hint...it's not a trick, RUN! LOL I was like, ok do I just step further out than normal? Nope, dead, run in place.

The fighting works well for the most part, you can hack and slash all different ways, it measures your angles of attack pretty accurately. You also have to duck, run, sidestep, backstep, etc...Kinect worked well with everything...for a mixture of different moves, I think it covers pretty much a lot of games out there. You can also throw stuff, the aiming is automatic as long as you are in focus mode but it works.

The couple of gripes I have though are with the leaning and shoulder tracking. Don't get me wrong it works, but I played for 5 hours straight, my ankles are killing me. The good thing is you can switch up feet to continue walking. I would think a walk in place/run in place would of worked better for this game to be honest, the leaning screws you up when you get into some intense fights and you'll either be walking toward a baddie or walking away from.

My other gripe is shoulder tracking. It works great for turning, but I really think head tracking should of been used instead. You can't look down or up. Only 360 side to side. Any adventure game you can always look up or down. Not sure why they didn't do head tracking but for the most part the turning stuff works.

Kinect is also super sensitive with this title as well, seems like devs are getting it down real good. You can barely move and your view will barely move just like you are really doing it. Very cool and very exciting.

Rise of Nightmares - Graphics & Sound
The graphics are good, they added some video effect to give it a nostalgic look, it looks good. Some character models were worked on more than others and you can definitely tell.

The soundtrack is custom and has a whole eerie creepy feeling to it. As you progress and build up tension, the music adds to this. Well done in my opinion.

Rise of Nightmares - Gameplay
Alright, so let me get this out of the way, whoever said any part of this game is "on rails" doesn't know what they hell they are talking about to be quite blunt. There is nothing on rails in this game except when you hover your cursor over an action, the second it takes your character to walk to that item to interact with it, that's the only part on rails. Sure you can hold your arm up to "auto-walk" but it doesn't help you with crap, you still have to interact wherever it takes you, it also makes you miss stuff. You can walk around whereever you want, and when you want. The auto walk is more of a take a break from your feet, but then your arm gets tired from holding it up, so its a lose-lose situation!

Ok now that is out the way, first the fighting mechanics work well. Like I said there are tons of weapons, and you use them all just like their real counterparts, such as a chainsaw you push forward like you are shoving it into someone, scalpels you can throw, hedge trimmers you pretend you are cutting. It's amazing to me the amount of different motions Kinect looks for with this game and they all work.

The thing I like is this isn't some BS game where the enemies are invincible to each other and their environment. There's areas where there are traps and things on the wall. You can kick your baddie and knock them into these hurting them and even killing them. If there's a baddie behind a baddie you're fighting and they shoot projectiles, guess what, they can kill each other! Love it, it's a minor detail to some, but to me, that's what a game should be about, realistic factors. You can also block in fight mode as well, this helps you for some things but some of them don't care, they'll go right through your scrawny arms.

Other than my gripes, I enjoyed this game and still am until I beat it TongueIt's not really scary to be honest, it's more gruesome than anything, alien/ghost/paranormal movies give me the jeebies more than this game did, however there are moments that become tense. There's a certain character that you have to be completely still or he will sense you are there. Those moments give you the..."Oh my is he going to know I'm here" feeling. Some of the battles get intense too especially when they gang up on you.

The other things are being this is a hardcore game, it's definitely not for casual players who play a game once in awhile. I've played tons of puzzle/adventure games and amazingly the challenges are still there without a walk through. I honestly have to say I got stuck on one part but I won't spoil it, took me about an hour to figure it out and when I did, it was one of the you have to be kidding me moments...I haven't had those since I played the old Lucasarts/Sierra games on the PC in the 90's.

On another note, the games beginning makes it seem like its easy, I think this is where some reviewers are getting confused, if you only play a good hour into it, you aren't getting far enough. It does seem easy but as you progress, it gets difficult. You will die unfortunately, I didn't die for awhile then all these crazy puzzles and baddies started to happen and I started dying. Some of the times get frustrating but there's a slight strategy element to some sequences. It's hard to explain this without telling certain examples but I don't want to give anything away. If you play it, you will see. Smile

Rise of Nightmares - Multiplayer options
No multiplayer, this is straight up 1 player story mode. I did notice something funky though, they have a kinect icon guy with a hand raised when you step away and step back to detect you, one time I came back, there were 2 kinect dudes...so it has the ability to detect multiple players, I'm wondering if multiplayer is in the works? Don't know...time will tell.

Rise of Nightmares - Achievements
The achievements seem harder than normal, could just be me but some of them took awhile and they are just basic, like behead 50 guys...

Conclusion
Overall, I think this is a great first hardcore title. The BIG problem they are going to have with it is replay value. I will be honest, there is none. Maybe after you beat the normal difficulty, there is a harder one from what I can tell and you can play through that, but after that, I think that's it, unless you don't get bored doing the same thing over and over.

It would of been cool to add a leveling system to your character to build up whatever, might of added some replay, but like I said there probably is none. In my opinion, I wouldn't run out and buy it just yet. Give it some time when the price comes down. PS if you like silent hill, resident evil, you will probably like this game and a buy wouldn't be a bad thing. If those aren't your cup of tea, then you probably won't like it and you probably would resent spending $ on it.

This seems like the beginning for any type of First Person "" game...so I think it's a very good step in the right direction. I think they expanded off Deca Sports paintball idea and perfected it. But I really think we are ready for a walk/run in place system...the leaning/stepping is getting to be a nuisance.

[Image: thezeeman.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Question RE: Rise of Nightmares Review
In Sega's demo walkthrough they said it has got head-tracking. HuhAlthough maybe it's just while you're on the train? (He said it while on the train.) Also in one of the reviews, the video review I posted I think, it said you can actually play most of the game sitting down (on a swivel chair at least) and only need to stand up for certain parts. Have you tried that? That should definitely help with getting tired, something I'm worried about. (Although obviously you don't have to play it for 5 hours at a time, it's got saves right? I hope so, lol!)
09-07-2011, 05:10 AM
RE: Rise of Nightmares Review
Hmm there was no head tracking on the train, I tried numerous times. I think they were going to add it, but ended up not.

I played a little sitting down but there's only so much you can do, I haven't tried a chair but that's an idea! It does autosave the whole time, but when I play a game I play the heck out of it. I was just too tired to continue, hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

09-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Information RE: Rise of Nightmares Review
(09-07-2011 05:10 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm there was no head tracking on the train, I tried numerous times. I think they were going to add it, but ended up not.

I played a little sitting down but there's only so much you can do, I haven't tried a chair but that's an idea! It does autosave the whole time, but when I play a game I play the heck out of it. I was just too tired to continue, hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

I just watched Sega's demo walkthrough again and I think the head-tracking in that demo was only during cutscenes because he says that even during cutscenes you have control of the camera and can look around including up and down with your face. (He actually said "face", lol! I would have just said head.) When I first watched it I just assumed that the whole game had head-tracking and that he was just mentioning what you can still do during cutscenes but maybe only the cutscenes have headtracking. Did you try it during cutscenes?
09-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh yeahhh that's what it is, yeah during cutscenes you can do whatever...

09-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Nice review! I'm glad that is working well. Have you tried playing with the light dimmed?

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Good Review Zeeman, I Picked it up last night...It took a few minutes to get used to the controls...everything was easy to pick up but it took me a minute to get used to the walking and turning and fighting all at the same time...but it was a fun learning curve...so far i am really liking the exploring and fighting aspect of the game...i am playing "No Mercy" Difficulty level...just because i dont want this game to be over too fast.... It seems to be a little harder than the other but i am progressing so i am fine with dieing more than normal (hahha)...The check points are not as close as I would like...but oh well...I think the graphics are fine...and the controls seem to be spot on...i had no problem slashing and hacking some zombie arms off..i also did a cross slash and took someones head off....and on a complete tangent make sure you stop by and see the fortune teller...she is very easy on the eyes...haha...anyway ....so if you are on the fence ...i am telling you this is gonna be a fun ride...cant wait to get better at fighting....ENJOY but it takes a little patience to get the movements down but after that...i think it is a lot of fun.
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
(09-07-2011 12:27 PM)legreffer Wrote:  Nice review! I'm glad that is working well. Have you tried playing with the light dimmed?

I played it in total darkness TongueZombies just don't scare me maybe because...they aren't real? lol

09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I too bought this game last night and am having a total blast with it! The movement is, like everyone says, a bit clumsy, but you pick it up quick. I do, however think they should of gone with tracking your head positing instead of your feet for movment. Lean forward a little to walk, alot to run. Running and jumping would of totally been doable in this case. And as far as backwards.. well who wouldn't lean back if a big nasty swung something heavy and painful at you? lol

Overall its alot o' fun though, and I hope other developers are paying ATTENTION! Smile
09-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Ok finished it up, around 9hrs. There is a little bonus at the end, and its on "torture" difficulty, something with a kill-o-calorie counter Big Grin. I won't spoil the ending but I have a feeling RoN2 will be announced shortly.

09-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Rise of Nightmares Review
(09-08-2011 02:20 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Ok finished it up, around 9hrs. There is a little bonus at the end, and its on "torture" difficulty, something with a kill-o-calorie counter Big Grin. I won't spoil the ending but I have a feeling RoN2 will be announced shortly.

Don't tell me if I'm right but I'm guessing a cliffhanger? If so then I really hope there is a sequel! Hopefully this sells well, I just have 2 worries. 1. The recent bad reviews, even though they totally contradict not only the good reviews but every non-reviewer player's opinion I've seen so far. 2. It was released the same day as Dead Island. So these are the only 2 first-person melee combat zombie games released since Condemned 2 I think (is that even a zombie game? I haven't got around to properly playing the first yet) and they're both released on the same day, lol! RolleyesSega really should have released it a week earlier.
09-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Haha, no cliffhanger, however someone reappears with more motive TongueThere's also unanswered questions which I think RoN2 would go into more detail...if the game does well, from the ending of 1, it looks like we may have 4 of them Tongue

Maybe I'm a wierd gamer but I really don't care for the zombie genre. I have no want to play Dead Island, however since RoN was Kinect...I had to play it, I'm still on the fence if I would buy it or not however there are gamers like me which may make it sell more than other zombie games. I'm hoping their intention wasn't to swoop the entire gamer nation and persuade everyone to buy a Kinect with RoN because its the only real hard core game for it...because I don't see that happening, however who knows, I would never of played it if it wasn't for kinect and if I would of never played it I would of never known I liked it to be honest. They do need to get a demo out before Dead Island as that's that the crowd that they are going to need to win over.

I think the bad reviews are still stuck in the controller age, but realistically, even if you played it with a controller, it still wouldn't be a bad game. It'd be easier that's for sure, but I think I read somewhere that it would suck with a controller, not true. I have a feeling Sega spent a lot of time on this one...compared to Sonic for example. The problem with reviewers is they aren't open minded. They see Kinect/motion controllers as a bad thing, it's out the normal box they live in so they won't accept it. I think these developers are incredible because the ideas and methods they pull together amaze me, they come from nothing to these good games.

09-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Information RE: Rise of Nightmares Review
Very good point about the demo, I actually thought that myself but forgot to mention it, lol! They should have released the Gamescom (or was it Comic Con?) demo last week, the one that has both the tutorial demo (which is supposed to be a bit different to the tutorial level in the finished game, because they wanted to show off more) and the train level.
09-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Hmm, there wasn't a tutorial mode...it just throws you in the game and you start fighting right away. As you go through the first level though it then tells you how to do things, the first level goes over everything though that's all they would really need, and the ending of the first level would make people want more...you will see what I mean when you play it Tongue

09-08-2011, 06:12 AM
(09-08-2011 04:50 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Hmm, there wasn't a tutorial mode...it just throws you in the game and you start fighting right away. As you go through the first level though it then tells you how to do things, the first level goes over everything though that's all they would really need, and the ending of the first level would make people want more...you will see what I mean when you play it Tongue

That's what I mean, that's the tutorial level where it tells you the controls and things to do. I saw a video of the version in the finished game and it looks a bit different to the tutorial demo they had at the shows. Although if the ending of the first levels would make people want more then they should probably have the whole first level as a demo instead then. Big GrinBy the way, how much space around me do you think I should have? And would you say you need to be ideally 7ft from Kinect? That's what I'm guessing since it's a full-body game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Party: In Motion Kinect Review TheZeeMan 20 29,051 12-31-2011 08:26 AM
Last Post: bluejaywpg
  Kinectimals Review TheZeeMan 15 15,065 12-28-2011 07:12 PM
Last Post: cazz2
  Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout Kinect Review TheZeeMan 5 11,559 12-26-2011 08:29 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Zumba Fitness Kinect Review TheZeeMan 11 12,651 12-26-2011 08:25 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  [XBLA] Hole In The Wall Review TheZeeMan 5 1,660 12-26-2011 07:17 PM
Last Post: Adorkable
  Deca Sports Freedom Kinect Review TheZeeMan 37 20,635 12-16-2011 04:05 AM
Last Post: slappycider