everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Show player while playing in review videos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Without showing the player on a review video you cannot make an idea of how fun is gameplay. I understand that you need an appropiate place to do that and that not every one would like to appear in the video, but without it, review is not complete.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
RE: Show player while playing in review videos
I would love to, but first I don't have the proper equipment for it, and secondly I don't have the correct environment for it (wife and kids running around while I create the videos) - if someone wants to offer to make up some videos, I can just use them and give credit. The vids have to be better than other reviews that only show screenshots though?

My only other opinion on it is I do try to capture the control instructions when there is a tutorial because all reviews are opinion based, what you may find fun, I may not and vice versa. Also I'm not quite sure how exciting it is to watch someone just running in place or something, I think most people pay attention to the gameplay videos when someone does a dual one, except for dancing vids, I can see people wanting to see how the person looks dancing.

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
12-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree that videos that show both the player and the game are the most useful because it let's you make the judgment for yourself whether a game is fun, whether the controls work, etc. Videos from Kinectaddict or MightyMeCreative helped me out more about Kinect games than anywhere else.

Watching videos like Gamespot or Giantbomb, you can immediately see the game and determine whether it's user error or kinect error. You don't have to guess about that point. Like when the guy in the Gamespot video complained about the darts in Kinect Sports Season 2 when he had set the darts for right handed throws but then played with his left hand but complained that the Kinect was confused.

That said, you have to be pretty brave to be video recorded for the world to see you. I look at Kinect videos on the Internet and people are brutal. You watch a Zumba video and people commented on Youtube saying she's too fat, she's too old, etc. Plus, it makes you fully accountable for your words and actions. If you say that the recognition of your dance moves is poor but we can see in the video that you aren't matching the on-screen dancer, then there's a disconnect between what you say and what really is the case. Recording is trivial. I recorded with a cell phone. But writing reviews is already a lot of work so I can see not putting more effort into making dual videos.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
(12-06-2011 05:50 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  I look at Kinect videos on the Internet and people are brutal.

That they are, even with just the gameplay vids I create, people tell me I suck, I should stop playing Kinect, they are better than me, I'm a fag, etc etc...since they don't read the reviews, they don't understand the vids I create are to show the gameplay itself, not whether I'm doing good at or not. I can only imagine what people would say if they seen me physically playing especially something like Let's Cheer LOL

(12-06-2011 05:50 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  But writing reviews is already a lot of work so I can see not putting more effort into making dual videos.

Thanks dirty Big Grin It does take a long time to verbage it up, I explained that to kinectaddict because he did ask me why I just don't do commentary, but I can't come up with and detail what I want to say in a 15 min video, so these reviews are time consuming, the disneyland one took me about 5 hours to compile and others average in about 3, and then creating, editing and uploading the videos is time consuming within itself, adding more to the mix would definitely be a challenge.

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
thats why i wished they would let us record game play and they could splice the persons movements from the kinect into the video.

halo3 (i think) had game play recording in the forge or w/e.
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with all you say. It is the only way to know how do you actually play the game. But i understand that it need more editing work, and preferably a dedicated space with clear background. So yes it migh not be possible. Maybe you should put some volunteer recruit message around here.
12-08-2011, 11:33 PM
honestly, I think Zee doesn't want to be seen! Tongue

I would do some videos and reviews myself but with the huge amount of games that came out in the past 3-4 months, I'm so far behind on fun gaming that I don't have time for the work it takes to write a good review. Gears of War 3 alone has racked up a ton of hours for me.

I still haven't paid enough attention to Forza Motorsport 4 (need to take down Legreffer!!!).

for me, I beat up a game in order to write a thorough review. I don't just plop it in, play it for a couple of hours, and then write, "this game sucks, don't buy it" or "this game is awesome, buy it!"

01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm not quite sure how exciting it is to watch someone just running in place or something, ...
01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
(01-10-2012 05:30 PM)justinbaby Wrote:  I'm not quite sure how exciting it is to watch someone just running in place or something, ...

I think the point of videos where you see the person is to 1) know the game mechanics and 2) whether or not it's the person or the game that's the potential problem. Too often, you read a review and they blame the Kinect but when you see their body playing it, you go wait, the player is doing it wrong. Like someone will say that so-and-so dance game is not tracking them well but when you see the video you can clearly see that the person is not doing the dance right.

Take a game like Wipeout. In many reviews, you'll read that you can't stop, you have no control when bouncing on the balls, etc. But it's because they glossed over the instructions. You can clearly stop by holding out your hands in a "halt" pose. You can control movement on the balls or the vines by leaning to the sides.

01-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I agree, seeing the person helps alot, to see if the actual gameplay is fun or not, but some people may not want to show themselves (Ex: While playing kinect adv i look really stupid at times lol Tongue or in Kinect sports when when sprinting Tongue)

Maybe you could do some sort of volunteer? or something like that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Review Forum Updates Clemens 7 3,792 01-19-2011 11:06 AM
Last Post: Clemens
  [split] Review Feature Request - none ratings Clemens 2 3,035 11-05-2010 02:32 PM
Last Post: Clemens