We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Star Wars Kinect...Love it or Leave it or are we missing the point?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm just curious what peoples opinions are on Kinect Star Wars now that more game footage has been shown? I was lucky enough to get to see the MS E3 Press Briefing in person (thanks to Major Nelsons Tweetup...won tickets to the briefing, how cool is that Big Grin The show was awesome to see in person and I could talk a lot about it but one part I noticed was the reaction to the Star Wars preview. It felt to me to be a collective "oh, that's what we expected...simple graphics on rails". I think a lot of people (especially hardcore gamers) were not overly impressed, but I think that's because we might be looking at the game the wrong way. Most of us are looking for a "real" experience, the more realistic the better, super high res graphics with near unlimited control and freedom and realistic violence. While I would find a game like that to my liking, I think we need to take a step back and think about who the Star Wars and Kinect (for launch anyway) main audience is.

Kids. And parents. I think if you look at this game from that angle it makes a ton of sense. It may not be exactly what us more adult gamers might want, but for Star Wars and Kinect, kids make the money. I can't count the number of kids that know more about Star Wars than I do, I know some that watch some of the movies several times a day, there are a ton of animated Star Wars films and TV and then all the toys. To the Lucus team Kinect must have looked like a goldmine. Look at how well Lego Star Wars has done. Kids (and parents) like things they can enjoy together, and Star Wars is one of those things. So to me, when I see the more simple graphics and gameplay, I see a game that is made for kids to enjoy, a game that will make parents buy Kinect which in the end is great for us gamers. We just need to be patent, I have no doubt that a more complex Star Wars Kinect game will be made some day, but for now this seems to me to be a very wise move by both companies.

Imagine if a kid heard of a Star Wars game for Kinect (a device that they enjoy and parents feel safe about) you know they would want it badly (look even us adults want to be a Jedi so badly that we complain when a game isn't for us exactly so imagine a kids desire to be a hero). Then the kid finds out their parents wouldn't let them play because it's just for the adults, you'd end up alienating the very group that will make Kinect grow for the future and that the Star Wars franchise needs to keep it alive...if kids don't know and like Star Wars then that universe will die with us older people and you know these companies know this. So while I can understand the pain some gamers and media feel, I think this is a move that will in the end be a huge benifit to the console we like to game on and thus to those of us that game on it. Get the Kinect kinks worked out in a kid version, build a huge base to make money for a long time and then give us the SW:KOTOR Kinect we want Smile

I still think this game will probably be fun anyway so I'm looking forward to it. Just my 2 cents, what do you think?

ps: Did anyone else notice that the frame around the title for the game has a sort of Kinect symbol on it down in the bottom corner? 1 round dot followed by a smaller dot next to 2 other round dots (done in purple of course), it looks like the front of the Kinect sensor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
RE: Star Wars Kinect...Love it or Leave it or are we missing the point?
Totally agree with you, I think that if looks at it as a (normal) game, it's not that good but you have to look from a KINECT game perspective and compare to all kinect game released so far, it's a very good game. Like Corellianrogue have said many times, they will fix the lag that everyone talk about. And like you said, with the experience of this one combined with the next kinect software update, the next Star Wars will be awesome. Big Grin

I didn't noticed about the dots, you're right, it's the kinect.

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
It would be nice to have at least 1:1 arm & hand controls (although I still think you can't rule that out and after watching many videos I have a theory that it actually may still be 1:1 if you do the lightsaber moves properly but if you flail about or just sort of slap your hand around it switches to non-1:1 so that it doesn't look totally crap) but I think it looks fun anyway, especially since you have to take into account 3 things:

First, the game was set on both easy and "God mode" (you don't die or even take damage) at E3 so we didn't really see exactly how it played properly.

Second, there are loads of other gameplay sections as we saw in both trailers (for those who didn't see Microsoft's E3 conference, there was an awesome introductory trailer before the stage demo that was different to the other E3 trailer) which looked really cool like pod racing and space battles, so it's not just lightsaber combat.

And last but not least, the game is unfinished and still has about 6 months to go so what we saw wasn't the final version anyway.

Also don't forget that if this does well then there's bound to be a Kinect Star Wars 2 which should be a lot more advanced since this one started off being created using unfinished hardware and software like the launch games, whereas a sequel would start off from not only finished hardware and software but the new software advances too.

Here's a video that includes the introductory trailer at the beginning for anyone who hasn't seen it:

06-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I see and agree with your point, but still, I'm not as excited about the game as I was when first announced a year ago. I'll keep my eyes and ears open of course to see how things progress.

[Image: UndgnfiedWrshpr.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Corellian, I forgot that introductory trailer, it is awesome and we can see lots of details in it.

[Image: legreffer.png]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
06-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I agree Corellianrogue, I think there is a lot to learn about this game yet and I think personally that the game looks like fun, but I can see how some "core" gamers might be feeling a bit disappointed (though without playing the game themselves one can never be sure till it actually releases and even then a good update can change a game too). Anyway I'm looking forward to the game and hope that it controls well and has a good story and I'm sure there will be a Star Wars Kinect 2 game that is even better like you said. I also think they will get around to making a more "core" or "adult" Kinect game as well (I'd guess without Kinect in the title :-) though to be honest I don't think this game is childish by any means and I really think it is looking like a game with pretty good depth with more to do than hack-n-slash like the racing and flying you mentioned.

I think it's becoming too popular to label a game as "non-hardcore" just because it is not dark and violent and ultra real...when did HD graphics and adult themes become the standard for core games when there are so many great games like Pac-man and Mario that (at least at one time) were considered core games. Personally I think a "core" game is any game that plays well and challenges my skill and thought, whether it's Gears of War or Zuma, but maybe that's just me? Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, I do understand the hardcore feelings, I had some of those feelings last E3 2010 but I also think that this game has the potential to still be a very good game that may be more core than we think. The gameplay will be the deciding factor on that, just as it will for a game like Ghost Recon (now with Kinect support) that few would say is not a hardcore game. Give me good gameplay and story and I'm happy Big Grin
06-18-2011, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2011 01:25 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: Star Wars Kinect...Love it or Leave it or are we missing the point?
(06-17-2011 11:58 PM)Kylton Wrote:  I agree Corellianrogue, I think there is a lot to learn about this game yet and I think personally that the game looks like fun, but I can see how some "core" gamers might be feeling a bit disappointed (though without playing the game themselves one can never be sure till it actually releases and even then a good update can change a game too). Anyway I'm looking forward to the game and hope that it controls well and has a good story and I'm sure there will be a Star Wars Kinect 2 game that is even better like you said. I also think they will get around to making a more "core" or "adult" Kinect game as well (I'd guess without Kinect in the title :-) though to be honest I don't think this game is childish by any means and I really think it is looking like a game with pretty good depth with more to do than hack-n-slash like the racing and flying you mentioned.

I think it's becoming too popular to label a game as "non-hardcore" just because it is not dark and violent and ultra real...when did HD graphics and adult themes become the standard for core games when there are so many great games like Pac-man and Mario that (at least at one time) were considered core games. Personally I think a "core" game is any game that plays well and challenges my skill and thought, whether it's Gears of War or Zuma, but maybe that's just me? Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, I do understand the hardcore feelings, I had some of those feelings last E3 2010 but I also think that this game has the potential to still be a very good game that may be more core than we think. The gameplay will be the deciding factor on that, just as it will for a game like Ghost Recon (now with Kinect support) that few would say is not a hardcore game. Give me good gameplay and story and I'm happy Big Grin

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about what are (hard)core and casual games and I'd say there were more levels of core and casual anyway. You've basically got it right though. (Except for Zuma which is definitely casual.)

Core games are basically any game made for traditional gamers, although I would put Facebook-type games in the casual group even if some were made to be more for core gamers just because they're supposed to be played more casually really, it's not like playing a console game. Also when people talk about hardcore games they often tend to be talking about what I would just call core games, but contrary what some people think hardcore games don't mean ultra-violent games, whether they're FPS games or horror games, hardcore means more like niche games that hardcore gamers would play like JRPGS, scrolling shoot-em-ups or even side-scrolling platformers like Sonic or Super Mario and not just any kind of those sort of games but those sort of games that are very challenging and require a lot of skill like you said. Although they do also include games like Resident Evil, but not because of the horror. They're often Japanese games really as they cornered the market in hardcore games as companies like Sega and Capcom (and the smaller companies like Cave who make a lot of scrolling shoot-em-ups) really nailed them. Child Of Eden I'd say was hardcore for instance, like its prequel Rez.

Casual games are things like Facebook-style games and the recent type of games that were really popularised by the Wii and that we're now getting for Kinect too which are games that non-gamers would play (and can play fairly easily thanks to non-joypad controls) or gamers would play casually like Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports (although those sort of sports compilation games are a bit of a crossover as core gamers have played those sort of games since Track & Field and even the Binatone!), Kinectimals and Carnival Games. As you can see, casual games don't always mean bad.

Then there are the games I'd call ultra-casual as they're not traditional videogames at all like Your Shape, Zumba Fitness and other fitness "games", as well as the cooking "games" (programs?) on Nintendo consoles like Cooking Guide and Cooking Mama. (Although I think Cooking Mama might have had some minor gameplay.) Then there are the Dr Kawashima games like Brain Training and Body & Brain Exercises/Connection and other similar games as well as the things like sudoko games. Actually these games used to be called "edutainment" and have always been around really, but now they've been made more popular.

Also I suppose videogame versions of boardgames and gameshows could be classed as casual games too. Dancing games like Dance Central and Michael Jackson: The Experience I would actually class as casual/core crossovers because they're the evolution of the DDR games which were embraced as core games even though they were very popular with casual gamers/non-gamers too. The only problem with all these sort of casual games is if there are too many of them like the Wii and DS have been swamped with. (Although maybe not such a problem with the DS as it makes sense to have a lot of those sort of things on a handheld.) We've had quite a few for Kinect but then we know of a lot of core games due this year and I hope these will increase over the next year and beyond.

The other kind of casual games are the shovelware movie/TV tie-ins (or any shovelware that's simplistic) where they were just made quickly to cash-in on a movie/TV show without much thought to core gamers and are often aimed at children but not necessarily child core gamers. I have faith that Kinect Star Wars won't be one of those even if they have simplified a couple of things to make it more attractive to casuals. I have a feeling that the finished game will actually be more of a Star Wars experience that will appeal to everybody, from the core gamer (possibly hardcore if they do the space battles well, I would class the original Star Wars game by Atari as hardcore for example) to non-gamers who are Star Wars fans and want to interact with the Star Wars universe but haven't really played Star Wars games in the past because they weren't really into playing videogames with joypads/joysticks but find Kinect Star Wars more approachable as they just have to walk in front of the screen and pretend they have a lightsaber or are piloting a starfighter without any buttons to worry about and aren't too bothered about how well they do as long as they have fun. (Hopefully the game will still be challenging for those of us who want challenging games of course.)
06-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Well said Corellianrogue, I think you're right about the different levels and combinations. I really think that some games would be excepted better if people actually looked at the crowd it's for and the style it's meant to be. This two group battle of casual and hardcore causes a few people to miss out on a fun experience because "they don't play those type of games" even though the game may actually be a combination of the two or even something different from those groups. Of course we all do that with things, Xbox or PS3, Move or Wii, action or drama, human nature tends to cause us to be less open minded to things even though both have their good and bad points. I think that's one of the great things about this site, sure it's Kinect focused, but most people here seem to be open to what makes a good game and not who makes it...though I'm probably being a bit biased Smile

I do think that there may be a new classification of games forming, games that are unique to Kinect, just as the Wii helped create the motion gaming classification, Kinect is forming a sort of ultra-interactive gaming classification. Games that just couldn't have been done before (at least not well) like Dance Central or some of the Kinect Lab apps, etc. I think we are just at the beginning of seeing what new games can be made with Kinect. The Milo game would probably have been something that would have fit this new catagory idea.

Also, you're right about the Zuma classification of course (I should think a bit more before typing but I think you got the idea lol) although as tough and addictive as some of those levels are for me, I can't help but feel like it's a bit core for me anyway Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Star Wars Kinect About To Be Revealed??! Corellianrogue 13 802 05-11-2011 09:56 AM
Last Post: Clemens
Information Star Wars Kinect... Corellianrogue 10 1,000 04-21-2011 11:25 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Yay! 5 star - hard - Just Dance! fervor 9 1,348 11-23-2010 03:33 AM
Last Post: fervor