We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

The beginning of my weight loss journey using Kinect!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The beginning of my weight loss journey using Kinect!
11-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Wink The beginning of my weight loss journey using Kinect!
So, my boyfriend purchased Kinect for us the other day. With it, he bought me the Zumba game. I absolutely.. HATE it. I don't know if it's just not for me or what. It's very sensitive to navigate through and it seems like you have to nail the moves JUST right! After this discovery, I decided to get online and read reviews about other games from Kinect that can help with weight loss. I read that Dance Central is not only fun but can help you with your weight loss journey! Luckily, my little sister already had a copy of this at home! Meant to be? Let's hope so SmileI will be posting as much as I can what I eat, my exercise, weight loss, etc. I'll even post when I cheat to be completely honest with myself. Hey, you can't change bad habits over night lol. So, here goes nothing!!

My height: 5'5
My current weight: 156
My goal weight: 130-135

I would love to here anyone's input and tips as well! Is anyone else using Dance Central or has in the past and had success??

MUCH Heart[/b]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2011, 07:51 PM
RE: The beginning of my weight loss journey using Kinect!
If you want to use Dance Central for exercise, use Dance Central 2 because it has the ability to create a continuous playlist for nonstop dancing. You really can't use DC1 for effective exercise because the game stops in-between songs and if you are the type to take time to pick a song, it becomes even less effective.

There are a lot of games on Kinect that'll give you a serious workout while playing a game. Kinect Sports. Kinect Sports 2. Wipeout 1 or 2.

In order to lose weight, you're going to have to pick something that'll keep you motivated enough to keep exercising and you're going to have to cut calories as well.

It's too bad you didn't try out the Zumba game more. Zumba is not about scoring and getting perfect dancing. It's just about doing. working out by moving. Plus, it's one of the only exercise games that supports online multiplayer where you can chat and dance with your friends. I've had dance sessions of 8 people before. You can start an exercise session and by the end of the session, you check the multiplayer list and there's a lot of people!

Just be warned that if you're going to be chatting while playing Kinect games online, you should get a wireless mic that won't fall off your ear. Listening and speaking with people over the Kinect mics can be frustrating.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
11-20-2011, 06:37 AM
(11-19-2011 07:51 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  If you want to use Dance Central for exercise, use Dance Central 2 because it has the ability to create a continuous playlist for nonstop dancing. You really can't use DC1 for effective exercise because the game stops in-between songs and if you are the type to take time to pick a song, it becomes even less effective.

There are a lot of games on Kinect that'll give you a serious workout while playing a game. Kinect Sports. Kinect Sports 2. Wipeout 1 or 2.

In order to lose weight, you're going to have to pick something that'll keep you motivated enough to keep exercising and you're going to have to cut calories as well.

It's too bad you didn't try out the Zumba game more. Zumba is not about scoring and getting perfect dancing. It's just about doing. working out by moving. Plus, it's one of the only exercise games that supports online multiplayer where you can chat and dance with your friends. I've had dance sessions of 8 people before. You can start an exercise session and by the end of the session, you check the multiplayer list and there's a lot of people!

Just be warned that if you're going to be chatting while playing Kinect games online, you should get a wireless mic that won't fall off your ear. Listening and speaking with people over the Kinect mics can be frustrating.

Thank you so much for your input! I've actually been on Weight Watchers for the past two weeks to also help me lose the weight I want. So far, it's been a great program! SmileI still have the Zumba game for Kinect. Maybe I really didn't give it too much of a chance. But, I'll try it again and see how I like it! Smile

I definitely agree with what you have said about exercise. That has been my problem for so long now... I haven't found something I just really "enjoy" to stick with and continue to do on a regular basis. And I tried out Dance Central and I have to say that the breaks can't be good. I will look into Dance Central 2 and the other games you mentioned as well.

I started out 158 this week and got down to 155. I slipped up and cheated tonight but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I've done that in the past and ended up quitting. SadI realize that bad habits can't be changed over night. All week I've ate GREAT during the day but had a tendency to eat things more unhealthy at night. I'm definitely going to work on this.

Thank you so much for your reply! It's really nice to have support on here and get feedback. SmileSmileI'll continue to blog my success and what I eat this next coming week!! Hope to hear from more people!!
11-20-2011, 07:42 PM
(11-20-2011 06:37 AM)ilyccs2010 Wrote:  I still have the Zumba game for Kinect. Maybe I really didn't give it too much of a chance. But, I'll try it again and see how I like it! Smile

Try it online and see how that goes. Since finding random people online can be daunting and unpredictable (not dancing when you want to do it), see if any of your friends have it so you can make regular dance sessions.

there is a thread here where people post their gamertags so that it's easier to add some people that they know a little about:
https://123kinect.com/kinect-forums/Threa...Games-here

I also use the Microsoft wireless headset (specifically the Halo one). The new bluetooth one is not ideal for jumping around since it's really designed for sitting down.

[Image: 41yFD1Ma-OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

[Image: 31BkdmWJZeL._AA300_.jpg]

11-21-2011, 05:06 AM
That sounds like a great idea! SmileI will definitely try it!!

Do you know what the best thing you can do after you cheat on your diet?? I started researching last night and most people said drinking A LOT of water would help.
11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
(11-21-2011 05:06 AM)ilyccs2010 Wrote:  That sounds like a great idea! SmileI will definitely try it!!

Do you know what the best thing you can do after you cheat on your diet?? I started researching last night and most people said drinking A LOT of water would help.

there are multiple sensors or cues your body uses to figure out your hunger level.

drinking a lot of water helps you with your diet because it helps trigger your stretch receptors which help your body say it's full.

however, there are other indicators your body uses such as glucose/insulin levels. this is why you still stay hungry while drinking diet soda. there's no sugar in the diet drink to satisfy your hunger. so yeah, drinking diet soda won't give you 40 grams of sugar and tons of calories but you still are hungry and may eat bigger portions of food.

so there are lots of different things you have to do simultaneously in order for a successful weight loss.

but the big thing is having to maintain this for a lifetime or else you revert. this is because your body is designed to work at a certain baseline. then over time as you constantly eat more food or do less exercise (which means you don't have enough activity to use your excess calories), your body starts adapting and thinking that this additional food is now "normal" and sets a new baseline. so when you decide to cut back, your body thinks that "OMG, I'm starving, I need to do things to keep my current "normal" level working." so you're going to have to fight to reset your baseline to what is truly normal. and this takes a long time. it took a person 10+ years to get fat. it'll take that person 10+ years to get their baseline back to the original. if you think you can just drop to your old weight and you'll be fine, you'll be shocked when the weight comes right back after a few months.

but not only that, as you get fatter and fatter, you start developing conditions that make it even harder to lose weight. your additional weight can lead to tendonitis or arthritis if you suddenly start exercising a lot. your heart is having to handle a bigger workload. your diabetes is affecting your energy level, your peripheral circulation, etc. and so on and so on. it's a cycle that's hard to break once your on that weight-gaining track.

this is why people should try to maintain their current weight and not think that they can just work off the weight they gain. but that's easier said than done. Tongue

11-22-2011, 08:21 PM
(11-21-2011 05:06 AM)ilyccs2010 Wrote:  That sounds like a great idea! SmileI will definitely try it!!

Drinking cold water makes your body burn calories to warm it up. however dont reply on water as a weight loss tactic. your diet is probably 10-15% of wieght loss.

The best way to lose weight is doing high intensity activity for long periods of time.

dancing, running, walking, martial arts, gymnastics or playing kinect!
If you want to really get weight loss with kinet i suggest KINECT SPORTS! there is also a single player calorie burning challenge that will leave you exausted but its timed.

however online you have way more fun in my opinion. try boxing me for 30 mins and see how your muscles feel Big Grin.

NO PAIN NO GAIN.
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
(11-22-2011 08:21 PM)Jersmall Wrote:  Drinking cold water makes your body burn calories to warm it up. however dont reply on water as a weight loss tactic. your diet is probably 10-15% of wieght loss.

The best way to lose weight is doing high intensity activity for long periods of time.

no, your body does not burn more calories (at least at measurable levels) to compensate for drinking cold water. anyone that says that needs to stop visiting those "nutrition" web sites.

and no, diet is not 10-15% of weight loss. the reason people (actually there are lots of reasons) is that their "calories in" outweighs "calories out" which changes your body chemistry and metabolism over time. you will never get fat if you've always consumed minimal calories, regardless of how little you exercise.

however, it is true that once you are fat, you need to do far more than restrict calories which is where intense exercise comes in. because once you are fat, your baseline has been severely modified.

but exercise alone will not get you back to your old baseline. diet alone will not. if you are still bringing in 3000 calories a day, that will take more exercise than your body can handle to even the balance sheet out. sure, if you're 18, you can keep piling on the muscle and handle the poundage of more exercise. but as you age, your tendons, joints, muscles, etc. can only handle so much additional exercise work. you need a complete plan.

athletes turn out to be some of the fattest people in later life because they keep eating like when they were athletic teenagers but their exercise level can no longer match their caloric intake. it's the athletes that properly managed their calories that stayed normal.

11-23-2011, 12:58 AM
(11-22-2011 11:28 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 08:21 PM)Jersmall Wrote:  Drinking cold water makes your body burn calories to warm it up. however dont reply on water as a weight loss tactic. your diet is probably 10-15% of wieght loss.

no, your body does not burn more calories (at least at measurable levels) to compensate for drinking cold water. anyone that says that needs to stop visiting those "nutrition" web sites.

and no, diet is not 10-15% of weight loss. the reason people (actually there are lots of reasons) is that their "calories in" outweighs "calories out" which changes your body chemistry and metabolism over time. you will never get fat if you've always consumed minimal calories, regardless of how little you exercise.

however, it is true that once you are fat, you need to do far more than restrict calories which is where intense exercise comes in. because once you are fat, your baseline has been severely modified.

but exercise alone will not get you back to your old baseline. diet alone will not. if you are still bringing in 3000 calories a day, that will take more exercise than your body can handle to even the balance sheet out. sure, if you're 18, you can keep piling on the muscle and handle the poundage of more exercise. but as you age, your tendons, joints, muscles, etc. can only handle so much additional exercise work. you need a complete plan.

athletes turn out to be some of the fattest people in later life because they keep eating like when they were athletic teenagers but their exercise level can no longer match their caloric intake. it's the athletes that properly managed their calories that stayed normal.

I would argue more and add my 2 cents but it would be derailing the thread too much.

bascially we could start a whole new thread.Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RK3's Weight Loss Journey Rapidkirby3k 0 90 04-23-2012 11:13 PM
Last Post: Rapidkirby3k
Rainbow My weight loss journey... GaelicDream 2 263 04-18-2012 03:19 AM
Last Post: GaelicDream
  Another Weight Loss Thing LatterDaysDeano 6 4,072 03-14-2012 06:52 AM
Last Post: Zachariah
  My Weight Loss Crraigan 9 1,502 03-14-2012 06:39 AM
Last Post: Zachariah
  My kinect weight loss journey Kendrab2315 56 37,136 02-29-2012 03:36 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  My Weight Loss (Hopefully Supplemented with Kinect) DogsInTheMitten 12 1,264 02-20-2012 05:15 PM
Last Post: DogsInTheMitten