We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

They lied about the LAG!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
They lied about the LAG!!!
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Exclamation RE: They lied about the LAG!!!
This is a post for anyone who still thinks Kinect is laggy. It's a comparison between joypad lag and Kinect's lag. Kinect's lag can be difficult to measure because, unlike a joypad, you're always moving unless you stand absolutely still.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
RE: They lied about the LAG!!!
I would say it's down to the setup. The parents quite liked playing on our wii but were confused with the controller on occasion so were very interested in the kinect when I told them, so much so they got one before we did!

Anyways their setup seems to be better than ours. It does improve with artificial light but not natural light which increases lag. Also down to programmer. Joy ride seems to have more lag and occasional random hiccups
05-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Information RE: They lied about the LAG!!!
(05-01-2011 03:20 PM)ScoobyWRX555 Wrote:  I would say it's down to the setup. The parents quite liked playing on our wii but were confused with the controller on occasion so were very interested in the kinect when I told them, so much so they got one before we did!

Anyways their setup seems to be better than ours. It does improve with artificial light but not natural light which increases lag. Also down to programmer. Joy ride seems to have more lag and occasional random hiccups

Light shouldn't affect lag, Kinect uses IR and can be used in the dark. (Although that obviously affects any games that use or also use the video part too.)
05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Only really tried it with joy ride which seems to have issues in the first place. Intially during the day we closed the blinds, turning wasnt responsive enough so we switched the light on and it was better, still not perfect but better. They do say you shouldn't have it facing sunlight.
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
@corellian: it does not affect Kinect, but it may affect those using the video signal to further 'tweak' the input by Kinect, don't you think?

@Scooby, I have noticed the same thing, when there is a huge lightbulb on my head Kinect works less. Also, recalibrating your Kinect a few times in different lighting conditions helps quite a lot actually.

Did you not get Kinect Adventures, as you mention that you've only tried it with Joy Ride?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 11:15 PM by Clemens.)
(05-01-2011 09:20 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  This is a post for anyone who still thinks Kinect is laggy. It's a comparison between joypad lag and Kinect's lag. Kinect's lag can be difficult to measure because, unlike a joypad, you're always moving unless you stand absolutely still.

Nice video Ben, didn't see that one yet :O. Did you create it? (as it shows that you were the one that uploaded it)

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 11:46 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: They lied about the LAG!!!
(05-02-2011 11:12 PM)Clemens Wrote:  @corellian: it does not affect Kinect, but it may affect those using the video signal to further 'tweak' the input by Kinect, don't you think?

@Scooby, I have noticed the same thing, when there is a huge lightbulb on my head Kinect works less. Also, recalibrating your Kinect a few times in different lighting conditions helps quite a lot actually.

Did you not get Kinect Adventures, as you mention that you've only tried it with Joy Ride?

I meant lighting in general doesn't really affect it. Direct sunlight shining at it or a lightbulb right above you head (same problem here! If I go directly under it while playing MJE it looks like I have a chunk of my head missing, lol!) can of course effect it.
(05-02-2011 11:14 PM)Clemens Wrote:  
(05-01-2011 09:20 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  This is a post for anyone who still thinks Kinect is laggy. It's a comparison between joypad lag and Kinect's lag. Kinect's lag can be difficult to measure because, unlike a joypad, you're always moving unless you stand absolutely still.

Nice video Ben, didn't see that one yet :O. Did you create it? (as it shows that you were the one that uploaded it)

Thanks SmileI made it as in put it together with the 1fps slow-mo and on-screen text, but the various video clips of games I just grabbed off YouTube. I had a better Kinect video that I used when I was originally measuring Kinect's lag but I couldn't find it. Undecided(It had the same result though, between 133.2 - 166.4ms.)
05-05-2011, 02:45 AM
I read somewhere once, which is close to the same amount on the controller. The only difference is, you can not see on the screen behind the body from pressing the button. This is a more easy to see the actual movement of the arm moves back a fraction of a second.

05-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Thumbs Up RE: They lied about the LAG!!!
(05-05-2011 02:45 AM)Chaquan Wrote:  I read somewhere once, which is close to the same amount on the controller. The only difference is, you can not see on the screen behind the body from pressing the button. This is a more easy to see the actual movement of the arm moves back a fraction of a second.

Exactly, you don't pay attention to the joypad unless it's REALLY laggy whereas with Kinect you're always conscious of your body movements in relation to the game, especially if it's a 1:1 game and you have your arm out in front of you, so are more likely to notice any noticeable lag. That's why I posted that video to demonstrate that.