We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Turning your Xbox 360 on/off with Kinect may never happen

11-26-2010, 04:59 PM
[caption id="attachment_1406" align="aligncenter" width="600" caption="You still need to push a button in order to turn your Xbox 360 on or off"][/caption]

Something I've missed in Kinect's features is the ability to turn my Xbox on or Off after using it a while, unfortunately, it may be that this will never be possible. According to Alex Kipman, Kinect's Project Manager, the power to shut off or turn on your Xbox 360 would go against Microsoft's voluntary green initiative.

That's something that we get asked a lot and the reason is simple: it's around making sure that we make the world a better place. [...] It's a green requirement -- which is not a real requirement -- but it's something that we are pushing.
Turning On your Xbox with Kinect
Kipman goes into further detail about the Xbox 360 and Kinect sensor's need to be on in order to enable the on/off feature.
It's for saving energy. For you to say 'Xbox, turn on,' that means that some amount of the system needs to be on. [...] So we decided not to allow you to have 'Xbox on' which you know, in this world, means we also then don't allow you to say 'xbox off,' because if you allow it to say 'off' you would expect to be able to say 'on.'
Although I do like the responsibility Microsoft is taking with their Green program, I don't like it that I have to manually turn my Xbox360 on/off with a button. I guess it's a matter of priorities, let's hope they figure out a way to enable this without consuming a lot of energy. Which do you feel is more important, Going Green or Going Comfort?

Luckily we still have Kinect Games to care for!
Source: MajorNelsonRadio
via: VGChartz

Article: Turning your Xbox 360 on/off with Kinect may never happen
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2010, 03:25 AM
RE: Turning your Xbox 360 on/off with Kinect may never happen
I understand "Xbox on" argument. BUT.... why can't you say "Xbox off" and have your system power down again? I guess I don't get it.
Find all posts by this user
11-27-2010, 05:12 AM
(11-27-2010 03:25 AM)Nick Wrote:  I understand "Xbox on" argument. BUT.... why can't you say "Xbox off" and have your system power down again? I guess I don't get it.

This. It doesn't make any sense. I'm going to have to disagree with MS on the fact that it would confuse people.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
(11-27-2010 05:12 AM)HazyCloud Wrote:  
(11-27-2010 03:25 AM)Nick Wrote:  I understand "Xbox on" argument. BUT.... why can't you say "Xbox off" and have your system power down again? I guess I don't get it.

This. It doesn't make any sense. I'm going to have to disagree with MS on the fact that it would confuse people.

Exactly. Confusing is only being able to use Kinect controls for certain things. Like why can't you use Kinect controls for DVD movies or CD/ripped music?
12-01-2010, 04:52 AM
you can actually turn it off from your controller...
if you press the bix X then go all the way right and press "turn off console"
it turns it off and you don't have to get up...
i know its not the same but still...
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2010 11:14 PM by UndgnfiedWrshpr.)
I love you MS, but your logic about not having the option to turn off becsaue you don't want the turn on option is just plain silly. I call for an update to have "xbox goodbye" enabled.

I don't get it....how could someone possibly say Dance Revolution or Dance Party 2 is better then Dance Central? That's like saying, canned chicken is better then roasted chicken. Have they even played Dance Central?
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM
(12-01-2010 11:14 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote:  I love you MS, but your logic about not having the option to turn off becsaue you don't want the turn on option is just plain silly. I call for an update to have "xbox goodbye" enabled.

Agreed. Hopefully we see it in the Spring update.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud

NOTE: Responding to threads is only done through Disqus in the Kinect News forum - to keep it in sync with he frontpage comments (no registration required):

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reminder: Xbox 360 Spring Update incoming (today) (updated) Clemens 0 42 Yesterday 09:50 AM
Last Post: Clemens
  Xbox 360, top selling console in April raluca 0 55 05-10-2011 11:10 PM
Last Post: raluca
  "Xbox Kinect could be Skype's killer app" Update: Microsoft acquires Skype! Clemens 0 98 05-10-2011 12:14 PM
  Xbox 360 Spring 2011 scheduled May 19; Avatar Kinect coming 26th Clemens 0 92 05-10-2011 12:53 AM
  Rumor: MotionSports' Sequel for Xbox Kinect, Move, or both? Clemens 0 76 05-09-2011 10:57 AM
  Rumor: Next Xbox will feature enhanced support for Kinect Istran 0 162 05-06-2011 10:14 PM
Last Post: Istran