everything KINECT in one place!

/ / / /

VIRTUA TENNIS 4 KINECT!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VIRTUA TENNIS 4 KINECT!!!
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
RE: VIRTUA TENNIS 4 KINECT!!!
I am a big fan of any kind of tennis game,definitely getting if it gets good reviews for kinect
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Yay !!!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2011, 05:45 AM
I've been beating up my copy of Virtua Tennis 3 around for too long now. Can't wait to upgrade to Virtua Tennis 4.

I read that I made the right choice in skipping Virtua Tennis 2009. Hopefully VT4 is the true successor to VT3. VT3 is still one of the few true 1080p games for the 360/PS3.
02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
corellianrogue, you mean when they did theme Hospital? that was bullfrog's doing right?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
(02-06-2011 11:58 AM)Clemens Wrote:  corellianrogue, you mean when they did theme Hospital? that was bullfrog's doing right?

Yeah, I was there when they were just starting that and Magic Carpet, they were also doing Theme Park and Syndicate along with console versions of Powermonger and Populous 2. (And Peter Molyneux was just starting to design Dungeon Keeper, the really early version I saw was isometric, a little bit like their other games but more 3D like Magic Carpet. The final version was first-person wasn't it?) I was a work experience games tester on Syndicate and the console versions of Powermonger and Populous 2 and I even did a tiny bit of sort of level design on part of a level of Syndicate. It wasn't much, just putting roads and buildings and stuff in a section of the level.
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
wow, great experiences those must have been Big Grin! Ever had the opportunity to talk to El Molyneux?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
(02-06-2011 09:18 PM)Clemens Wrote:  wow, great experiences those must have been Big Grin! Ever had the opportunity to talk to El Molyneux?

Yeah, all the time while I was there. He's a pretty cool guy and I would have applied to work for Bullfrog after I left school if it wasn't a bit too expensive to travel to Guilford every day (even for work experience the school initially wouldn't let me work at Bullfrog and refused to pay for me to travel there but eventually agreed as long as I paid half! AngryI think they only eventually let me as I'd already organised everything.) so I ended up working for Probe instead as travelling to Croydon was a bit cheaper.
02-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Check out this review guys! Can't wait til release day! http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/25...nnis-4/p1/
02-10-2011, 05:49 AM
(02-10-2011 05:32 AM)kmasum Wrote:  Check out this review guys! Can't wait til release day! http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/25...nnis-4/p1/

It's gonna be so good Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Thanks for the link !

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Excellent review so far on this game. Now my question is...how wider of space do you need? Table Tennis and tennis is two different games. Tennis has a much wider range than table tennis, but I am so ready to get Virtua Tennis 4. Top spin 4 certainly dropped the ball not having Kinect support. I would of like to see that game have it.

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
02-10-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 02:48 AM by legreffer.)
(02-10-2011 11:08 AM)meistroracer Wrote:  Excellent review so far on this game. Now my question is...how wider of space do you need? Table Tennis and tennis is two different games. Tennis has a much wider range than table tennis, but I am so ready to get Virtua Tennis 4. Top spin 4 certainly dropped the ball not having Kinect support. I would of like to see that game have it.

The game will move you automatically to the left or right where the ball is, so I guess you will be able to move one step side to side like table tennis in kinect sports.

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Information RE: VIRTUA TENNIS 4 KINECT!!!
It turns out the person on here who said that moving around in Kinect mode (called Motion Mode) would be automatic (although you can manually move forward to play at the net) was right so I probably owe them an apology, lol! (Although did they actually know that or were they just being pessimistic since they never showed proof?) But you can't blame Kinect since it turns out that Motion Mode is the same for the Move too so Sega just ported the mode to Kinect without adding the ability to manually move around.

IGN thinks the Move version is better since apparently the Kinect version doesn't track the twist of your wrist whereas the Move does (although they incorrectly state that it's not possible for Kinect to track the twist of your wrist) however I'm wondering if the Kinect version tracks full body movement (I don't mean to move around the court, as obviously it doesn't, I mean tracking how your body is moving while you swing, not just your arm) because that's probably just as important as how you twist your wrist. Plus does the Move's wrist twisting actually effect your shots or is it only implemented graphically? I wish they wouldn't go on about it feeling better to hold something though. If you want to hold something while playing the Kinect version then you can! (Although make sure you hold it tight so it doesn't fly out of your hand like in that KFC advert, lol!)
02-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Based on the news, Virtua Tennis 4 using Kinect = Fail. Kinect Sports Table Tennis continues to reign supreme.
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 07:57 PM by dirtyvu.)
as for the lack of control over movement for all the motion systems, for tennis, it doesn't matter. because in tennis, you have to track the ball. it's not like american football or basketball or football/soccer. in tennis, you have to run to the ball. there is no free will (except for net and volley approaches). it's not like you can run right when the ball is going left.

so it's acceptable to have the system control your lateral movement. the only other time when free-will movement is important is when you want to run around the ball and do an inside/out stroke.

as for the "correct" tennis strokes... i actually play real tennis (USTA 4.0 rating). most of these gamers that talk about "realism" don't seem to know. it's like the 12 year old that swears Gran Turismo 5 is the most realistic thing ever. heck, there are people that incorrectly think the way you swing is the same between tennis, racquetball, and table tennis.

and to be honest, if they made it too realistic, most people would hate it. beginners already hate tennis when they first step on a court because it's really hard. balls are always launching over fences. or hitting the bottom of the net. people always misjudge correct location of their body relative to the ball. people tend to swing very late (you should already be swinging with the ball about 5-6 feet in front of you). people also tend to stand so stiffly when they swing and not have a big enough knee-bend (you're supposed to hit from below the ball and come up/forward as you transition your weight into the ball).

it's hard to find a picture online to show when you're supposed to start swinging since photographers like to show the player smashing the ball...

[Image: tennis8.jpg]
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the detail explanation!! Looking forward to get this game!!!
(02-11-2011 07:18 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  as for the lack of control over movement for all the motion systems, for tennis, it doesn't matter. because in tennis, you have to track the ball. it's not like american football or basketball or football/soccer. in tennis, you have to run to the ball. there is no free will (except for net and volley approaches). it's not like you can run right when the ball is going left.

so it's acceptable to have the system control your lateral movement. the only other time when free-will movement is important is when you want to run around the ball and do an inside/out stroke.

as for the "correct" tennis strokes... i actually play real tennis (USTA 4.0 rating). most of these gamers that talk about "realism" don't seem to know. it's like the 12 year old that swears Gran Turismo 5 is the most realistic thing ever. heck, there are people that incorrectly think the way you swing is the same between tennis, racquetball, and table tennis.