/ / v /

Why does Kinect have so many haters?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
150 for an absolutely next generation camera tech, fun games, games that girls like, navigation and voice control over movies and music, avatar intergration, xbox live intergration, and the ability to expand on gaming in a casual and hardcore kind of way. Whats with all the hate? Just wondering, I am an avid gaming discussion reader and I see all the hate it gets, and dont understand it really. Its like do you really think MS is gonna stop making hardcore videogames? I mean really, people should welcome a new way to add to the gaming experience, rather than hate on it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 11:48 PM
RE: Why does Kinect have so many haters?
I think there are two main things:
- People hate it when they are less special (so, when non-core gamers are talking about achievements too for example)
- Gamers hate to see Microsoft's attention going to other things than core games. It's like a cop that gives you a speeding ticket, and your first response is: "Shouldn't you be focusing on real crime?"

That frustration amounts to hate. But, with Kinect it is different. These guys will come around, with games like The Gun Stinger, Full Voice Control, more precision in movement...

Kinect's era only just begun my good man Smile

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2011, 04:00 AM
(02-01-2011 11:48 PM)Clemens Wrote:  I think there are two main things:
- People hate it when they are less special (so, when non-core gamers are talking about achievements too for example)
- Gamers hate to see Microsoft's attention going to other things than core games. It's like a cop that gives you a speeding ticket, and your first response is: "Shouldn't you be focusing on real crime?"

That frustration amounts to hate. But, with Kinect it is different. These guys will come around, with games like The Gun Stinger, Full Voice Control, more precision in movement...

It has and it is here to stay, I am extremely excited, but yes I do think your first point about feeling less special definitely is true, and the second point also is right, I just dont get why they think Microsoft would turn their backs on them and become a Kinect only entity, lol, its laughable, they will have both.
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
And of course there are the other systems, wii and ps3 w/ the move. Counsel wars continues. Instead of admitting MS came up with something cool, they've got to defend their systems because it's what they bought into. I had a kinect party one night and one of the guys that came over is a huge nintendo fan. He refused to even try the kinect! I made fun of him of course. I said, "what's wrong, are you scared you might like it more then the wii? You should be scared because this thing blows the wii out of the water when it cames to fun." He never tried it. It's sad really. I at least tried the move....hate it....but tried it.

I don't get it....how could someone possibly say Dance Revolution or Dance Party 2 is better then Dance Central? That's like saying, canned chicken is better then roasted chicken. Have they even played Dance Central?
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I tried both the Move and Kinect before I purchased one (and had played Wii several times in the past) for me the choice was pretty easy. If somebody tries them all and prefers Move or Wii over Kinect I'm fine with that, it's just a personal preference, but I don't want to hear it if you haven't even tried the others.
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Word. Comparison videos before the kinect even came out...stupid. If I was watching a vs video on youtube and the words, "I haven't tried the kinect yet" are spoken, I stop watching the video because they don't have a right to an opinion based on what they may have heard. If they haven't tried it....I don't care to listen.

I don't get it....how could someone possibly say Dance Revolution or Dance Party 2 is better then Dance Central? That's like saying, canned chicken is better then roasted chicken. Have they even played Dance Central?
02-03-2011, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2011 03:23 AM by Corellianrogue.)
(02-02-2011 06:55 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote:  I at least tried the move....hate it....but tried it.

Really? I haven't tried it but it looks great for what it is, basically a "Super Wii HD with video" but obviously it hasn't got as much potential as Kinect. The ultimate system would be Move-style controllers + Kinect which is what I predict the next Xbox will come with. (Or at the very least it will come with joypads with motion control and you'll be able to buy "Kinect 2" separately. If you have to buy "Kinect 2" separately though it should have at least 60fps and preferably 1080P for at least the IR sensor. The technology should be so cheap by then that it should easily be possible to do that and sell it for at most the price Kinect is now, possibly even cheaper! Big Grin)
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
(02-03-2011 03:21 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  
(02-02-2011 06:55 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote:  I at least tried the move....hate it....but tried it.

Really? I haven't tried it but it looks great for what it is, basically a "Super Wii HD with video" but obviously it hasn't got as much potential as Kinect. The ultimate system would be Move-style controllers + Kinect which is what I predict the next Xbox will come with. (Or at the very least it will come with joypads with motion control and you'll be able to buy "Kinect 2" separately. If you have to buy "Kinect 2" separately though it should have at least 60fps and preferably 1080P for at least the IR sensor. The technology should be so cheap by then that it should easily be possible to do that and sell it for at most the price Kinect is now, possibly even cheaper! Big Grin)

The reason I hated it was because I felt like I was playing a wii. It wasn't new or refreshing, just the same old thing with better graphics. I was like, "yeah, it responds a little better then the wii, but I still feel like I'm playing a wii." Once you play kinect, anything else seems....well I'll put it the same way it was put in Back to the Future Two when Marty was about to show two kids how to play a game using a gun. The kids said, "You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"

02-04-2011, 01:20 AM
(02-01-2011 11:48 PM)Clemens Wrote:  I think there are two main things:

Another possibility is that the Kinect requires vastly different skills than a traditional controller. Sitting on a couch with fast button pushing skills becomes obsolete. This, of course, is exactly why I got the Kinect/Xbox combo. My last video game console was an Atari 2600 (oops, showing my age) and until Kinect, everything (from a controller standpoint) was simply an evolution.

Bashers sub-conscience thought process:
Kinect -> revolution -> new skills -> "I don't like this"

BTW. Great site. Loads of good information with a high signal to noise ratio in the discussions.
02-04-2011, 01:59 AM
(02-04-2011 01:20 AM)Ken Wrote:  Loads of good information with a high signal to noise ratio in the discussions.

The "high signal to noise ratio" is why I visit here so often myself. Well put....lol
02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
(02-04-2011 01:59 AM)ambushbug Wrote:  
(02-04-2011 01:20 AM)Ken Wrote:  Loads of good information with a high signal to noise ratio in the discussions.

The "high signal to noise ratio" is why I visit here so often myself. Well put....lol

Maybe this makes me look like a noob, but what does "high signal to noise ratio" mean?

02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
(02-04-2011 07:42 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote:  
(02-04-2011 01:59 AM)ambushbug Wrote:  

Maybe this makes me look like a noob, but what does "high signal to noise ratio" mean?

I asked myself the same question...
I think it means that information is reliable, no garbage

[Image: legreffer.png]

[My "Get in shape" Blog] [Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
02-04-2011, 08:14 PM
LOL. You guys are hilarious. signal to noise ratio is an audio/video term. you're comparing the signal that you want (the music or the video) to the background noise. of course, you want a strong signal with minimal background noise.

so applying the analogy, a site like this has a lot of the good info you want to hear with less of the trolls and FUD you don't want to have to filter through.

go to any of the gaming sites like gamespot or ign or system wars. it's horrible. you can't go more than 1 post before you find plenty of FUD. if you think you can glean any useful info on those boards, you're deluding yourself. if it's not some kid saying the glossy black on the ps3 looks better than the glossy black of the 360, it's another kid saying kinect will red-ring your 360 or another kid saying that a huge number of kinects were defective and being returned.

and if you guys want some fun, go to the sony defense force website. it's friggin hilarious. 90% of the posts are slagging the 360 and Wii. seriously, they have nothing better than to spread FUD. and the weird thing is that other PS3 gamers just toe the line and disseminate the FUD everywhere.
02-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Ahhhh, I thought that's what it meant, but didn't want to jump to conclusions. Thanks. Yeah, I've been on the other sites. Most of the posts are fan boys saying kinect sucks.

02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
yes i was banned at system wars because I was a Kinect supporter, and they are all PC fanboys and PS3 fanboys and they felt stupid because they all told me that Kinect would fail. Big F U to Casey Wagner and the rest of the system war punks.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)