We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Will kinect work in my home: A Wierd Scenario

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2010 03:35 AM by Aspernatio.)
Alright, here's a basic layout of my living room:
| [TV] >
|
|_________________

The wall that is not illustrated is a double glass sliding door, from which you can see out onto my patio. The TV faces these sliding doors*. Would Kinect not work in this situation, and can it accurately detect everything even with a view outside?

*Unfortunately this is the only setup available. The top wall in the image has windows that I do not wish to block, and the bottom wall is not an option either.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
RE: Will kinect work in my home: A Wierd Scenario
Good question - I'm sure someone has it setup with a window in view or what not. Do you not have blinds over the patio door?

[Image: thezeeman.png]
11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
(11-17-2010 09:08 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Good question - I'm sure someone has it setup with a window in view or what not. Do you not have blinds over the patio door?

Unfortunately not. ConfusedHowever, I have been considering getting them for a long time, so this may be the perfect leverage to finally convince me.

I am hopeful however: if kinect utilizes thermal imagery, then this shouldn't be a problem. However, its RGB Camera will probably not be of much use.

Thanks for the quick response! Big Grin
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
No problem! I think every game is different actually on how it uses imagery. I know in like sports, it setups the play area, where as dance central does not, it just looks for a person and if one person steps in front of another, then it changes focus...so I guess it basically depends on the game you are playing, although if it can eliminate an object from the play area, I doubt the window will have any effect...but where it may cause problems if the sun shines in that windows and onto kinect in direct sunlight, then you will have some issues.

11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
It should be fine. Kinect doesn't need to see a back wall. Also, if you're worried about reflections, how far away from Kinect is the patio door? If it's over 11ft then Kinect's IR projector/sensor probably won't reach it anyway. I would cover Kinect when you're not using it though, to protect it from sunlight.
11-18-2010, 12:30 AM
(11-17-2010 10:16 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  It should be fine. Kinect doesn't need to see a back wall. Also, if you're worried about reflections, how far away from Kinect is the patio door? If it's over 11ft then Kinect's IR projector/sensor probably won't reach it anyway. I would cover Kinect when you're not using it though, to protect it from sunlight.

That's very helpful information Big GrinWould it be healthy for kinect if I unplugged it every other night or so and stored it in a closet when I wasn't using it?

Also, I have heard about a "special stand" that you need in order to attach kinect to the top of your TV. Is this true, and would I need it if I wanted to attach it to the top of my TV?
11-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I unplug mine all the time I'm not using it and it seems to be fine.

There is a TV mount for it, you can see more info about it here:

https://123kinect.com/kinect-accessories-...extension/

11-18-2010, 01:01 AM
@Aspernatio, unplugging is not an issue at all.. haven't had any problems with it: works like a charm, as most would do. The TV accessory is indeed 'needed'.. it is kind of what you really want, because your sensor tilts all the time: making it move, may also make it fall off your TV (happened to me once, but was able to catch it)

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Well, the majority or kinect users are likely to have their TV up against a wall for maximized space efficiency, so I see the best selling and cheapest product here to be the wall mount.
11-18-2010, 01:59 AM
I have mine sititng infront of my tv and I have 2 big double windows behind me and it dosnt have any issues picking me up as t uses thermal for almost all games *everyone I played* and if the sun starts beaming in from the window I just shut it blinds but I havn't had to do that yet Tongue

[Image: Terrin.png]
11-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Information RE: Will kinect work in my home: A Wierd Scenario
(11-18-2010 01:59 AM)Terrin Wrote:  I have mine sititng infront of my tv and I have 2 big double windows behind me and it dosnt have any issues picking me up as t uses thermal for almost all games *everyone I played* and if the sun starts beaming in from the window I just shut it blinds but I havn't had to do that yet Tongue

I'm pretty sure it uses reflected IR light not thermal IR. Thermal sensors are expensive! (Or at least thermal cameras are.)
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM
the only problem you might have is kinect id because theres no light on your face i was able to put a lamp behind my tv an it works fine and i have almost the extact set up as u with the glass doors except my tvs off to the side in the corner a bit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  how scores work in bowling magic 2 1,904 03-28-2011 11:10 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Does Kinect work with Netflix yet? Casmi 8 4,630 12-17-2010 10:07 PM
Last Post: HazyCloud
  Can kinect work from less than 6 feet? Nick 38 16,634 11-30-2010 06:38 AM
  Video Kinect autozoom does't work- Any ideas? kf6noz 4 3,302 11-30-2010 05:24 AM
  Would Kinect work like this? Stuart567 7 3,064 11-16-2010 03:31 AM
Last Post: Terrin
  How will Kinect work in terms of....... Leafs1201 54 10,601 11-14-2010 08:17 PM
Last Post: sande