We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

[XBLA] Hole In The Wall Review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-25-2011, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2011 03:13 AM by TheZeeMan.)
Hole In The Wall

[Image: boxartlg.jpg]
  • Official site Hole In The Wall
  • Developer: Ludia
  • Genre: Party
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Modes: Quick Run, Shows
  • Online Features: Leaderboards, Achievements
  • Kinect Features: 1-2 player simulataneous, 4 player total
  • Kinect Activity Level: Standing
  • Uses avatars?: Yes
  • Age group: Everyone

Hole In The Wall - The good
  • Two player mode is more fun than one player
  • It reflects the show's functionality for the most part
  • For the most part, Kinect tracks well especially when doing ground poses

Hole In The Wall - The not so good
  • Horrible representation of the real show
  • Some of the objects in the wall are unrealistic, I've watched the show a few times because of the kids and I've never seen someone try to form a square
  • The price

Hole In The Wall - Story
No story mode, there's 10 different shows you compete on though. There's also a quick mode which is endless and lets you keep going to clear them consecutively.

Hole In The Wall - Kinect experience
Kinect works well for the most part. 2 player works for the most part as well, except I had a couple times when it was switching us around. When doing floor moves it does detect as well, I know some games have had issues with floor activities but that bug seems to be gone now.

Hole In The Wall - Graphics
The only graphics in this game are the wall, the pool and your avatar. There is no crowd, nothing like the real show. Horrible job on presentation which is I categorize this one as shovelware.

Hole In The Wall - Gameplay
I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's honestly a boring game. After you do a few poses, you are pretty much done with it. 2 vs. 2 makes it more interesting, but its just a good party game for a couple times then you move onto something else. It's kind of strange how no matter what it's hard to fit in the holes because as the wall is coming close, the hole becomes bigger, but your shadow in the back does not...

Honestly I found the Carnival Games one to be more exciting and more innovative. Since they were first with the idea, Kudos to them.

Hole In The Wall - Multiplayer options
It does allow 2 vs 2 team play. Both players get to do poses on the wall like show, so this was a positive on the game.

Conclusion
Overall, I categorize this as shovelware. It seems it was one of those side projects that someone finally got around to finishing, but it's far from a finished product. Realistically, I've paid for Arcade games that were 100 times better than this garbage. I think because they are using Kinect, they think it automatically qualifies as a $10 product. It should of been a $5 product, and after it doesn't sell well, they can lower it to $1.99. That's about what it's worth in my opinion. Hopefully as the Arcade Kinect phenomenon continues to grow, we start to get some quality titles.

[Image: thezeeman.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Information RE: Hole In The Wall Review
It sounds like the Hole In The Wall rip-off Take Shape may actually be better than Hole In The Wall then, lol! Tongue Actually, it does have some of its own ideas like a mode that could be called Human Tetris if the Japanese version of Hole In The Wall wasn't already called that.

08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
RE: Hole In The Wall Review
it does look like the show...

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
08-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Somewhat - the basis is there but it lacks presentation greatly...Just the whole concept I can't agree with. The way the carnival games did it was a much better approach, this show is good as a show, as a kinect title, its just not there. Realistically with a physical object involved, there's no way to really replicate this so it's not completely their fault, they did the best they could. It's just not that enjoyable unfortunately, it's good for a few laughs but that's about it.

[Image: thezeeman.png]
08-27-2011, 01:36 AM
just played with the demo. it's alright. nothing special. but could definitely see myself picking it up if it goes on sale for $5. but yeah, $10 is a bit much for this. wonder what the 2 player is like.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
12-26-2011, 07:17 PM
RE: [XBLA] Hole In The Wall Review
I actually didn't realize this was for XBLA. I thought it was going to be an average priced game so $10 is a steal compared to what I thought it was going to be. I'll probably get this regardless of the cost, although I wish it was cheaper after reading the reviews.

[Image: Adorkablee.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Michael Jackson: The Experience Kinect Review Corellianrogue 18 8,964 04-12-2012 06:53 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  [9/10] PowerUp Heroes Review: Fun Fighting Game with Online Multiplayer dirtyvu 0 166 04-03-2012 02:38 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Body And Brain Connection Kinect Review TheZeeMan 10 8,394 03-26-2012 08:53 PM
Last Post: Shagen
  [8/10] Rhythm Party Review: Fun dancing that let's you be creative! dirtyvu 2 403 03-10-2012 08:31 PM
  Carnival Games Kinect Review legreffer 18 19,635 03-10-2012 01:27 PM
  Gunstringer Review TheZeeMan 4 3,188 03-09-2012 08:54 PM